Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #61
Major Player

Woo Hoo! My camera is on the FEDEX truck out for delivery...

Hopefully I can do something this weekend as next weekend is booked up.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #62
Major Player

Another I should have taken the camera moment....

This weekend will be my only opportunity to get out on the land to see if I can capture some wildlife on film. So to get ready I packed up my rifle last evening and headed to the range to fire off a few rounds to insure that everything is sighted and working properly...it would be a hell of a deal to be selected for dinner by a bear and have the gun go click not boom. Anyway all went well, everything is working properly so I headed home...came around a turn in the road and on one of the very few ice free lakes low and behold about 60 swans leasurly feeding.

Another rule for the book...take the darn camera no matter what.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #63
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Good evening,

Tronde, an older version of premiere would likly run.

Perhaps a trial software of one of the consumer prograns like ulead would do the trick????
Thanks Dale.
I'll see what I can do. It will be my only chance to finish anything this round.
But if I don't complete, I will be back stronger and ready for the next round. That is a promise!
Good luck with your entry!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #64
Regular Crew

My tale of woe is really a double-edged sword. I am a middle school science teacher, and we have been wrapping up for the year. So I haven't had much time since the topic announcement. I was actually fearing that I wouldn't be able to pull this off, and this was my first attempt at this. I have been trying to find a specific topic to focus on so my video would have a theme, but nothing I was wanting to do would walk in front of me to film.

Today was my big chance, but I had thought that I would only be getting pieces or fragments of what I needed. Turns out I got everything I could want from my shoot today. I shot for about 5 hours on the Northern Cali coast, an hour and a half drive from me, and got lots of fantastic footage. But when I started I was thinking 30 minutes, one hours tops. So after five hours in the sun in a tank top with my shoulders exposed to their first real shot of sun since October, my shoulders could now star in their own lobster video. I think if I place some pipe cleaners in the right places I could shoot a second video of just my upper arms, add some water sounds effects, and no one would ever know I wasn't shooting Maine Lobsters in their natural surroundings.

There was no way I was going to miss the shot for sun screen. So the next four days of pain are well worth the footage I got. Here's to hoping the end product will be worthy. I am excited for people to see what I can do.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #65
Trustee

Well, this weekend will be my "final cut"-weekend. Have done a rough-cut already which is nice to my eyes.
I think I'm a bit lucky compared to some of you other fellows, that I already collected my footage. And in fact have it stored into my Mac.
But there is always hard to get the best out of the raw material. To build up a story. To make the small adjustments to get it right.
I'm also quite new to the Mac plattform, which make it a little harder, to get the grip on it. I have to look up in the manual how to make things right.
Good luck to everybody, it still plenty of time even if you have no ideas. As Trond use to say: First of all have fun!
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #66
Trustee

Great white egret

Just want to let you view a short footage of something I don't think is quite common.
As mention in an ealier thread by Victor Wilcox http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....3&postcount=18 about the Great Egret.

In first part of May I got a phonecall from a friend of mine. He could tell me that a pair of Great White Egret was standing in the middle of nowhere, sourrounded by snow and there was partly ice-cover on the lake.
I rushed for it with my gear and got some very rare footage of this. As you may see in the picture below a pair of Great Egret in front of a pair of Goosander with the snow still cover the ground.
The Great Egret was very shy, so I had to shoot the footage with a 500mm (3600mm) on quite a distance to get this shoots.
I'm curious about if anyone has seen Great Egret in such an environment before?

Link to video footage:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/great-egret.mov (1.5MB)

BTW, if this is off-topic, please move it to Under-water-over-land forum if required!
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9-great-egret.jpg  

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; June 14th, 2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added text/picture
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #67
Trustee

Hi Guys:

Sounds like everyone has been active! I'll second Brian's rule of thumb... is it rule #66 by now? TAKE THE CAMERA WITH YOU! I might up it a notch and say, permanently afix the camera to your hand.... I was outside and this beautiful, lone coyote just strolled by, sat down to relax, smiled at me and winked... knowing that I didn't have a camera anywhere within reach. Ahhhhhh! But I got really lucky on some other surprise moments!

Meryem, were you filming the kayaking events in Lyons? The duck moment sounded like the million dollar shot!

Trond. NOT YOU FRIEND! No shark tank for you! Look, we are all family here. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS. We have a week left. Can you at least dump your footage somewhere from tape to digital files? If so, send them to me and tell me what to do and I'll put it together for you. I'll simply be the tech monkey and make it a movie. I'll do just as you say. I'm finished with mine, so I'd be happy to do this. At least you can get something in?

Kevin: Enter your movie of the 500 year flood into UWOL 9. It has nothing to do with wildlife, but it's a wonderful clip and shows how "wild our lives have become" with global warming.... just a thought!

Looking forward to everyones films.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #68
Major Player

No ice around here Per, but we've definitely got Great Egrets. And the sounds they make while up in the trees mating and nesting? Holy moses it I was blown away. Sounded like they were speaking to each other, only with half a jar of peanut butter stuck in their throats.

300mm

Oh and Catherine, I feel your pain. Last night, due to wildfires blazing the hills around this area, the sky was filled with smoke which lit up the moon in the most ominous shade of hazy red - but I had no camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9-great_egret.jpg  
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

nice footage, I love the snow in the back ground!! All we get here are snowy egrets and the odd cattle egret. Would love to see a great egret, you footage is a good second best to a live one!!

New platforms: I moved to Vegas and I have had to do the same things!!! the manual is 400 pages!!!

I appreciate all the extra work you have to under go!!

Can't wait to see your entry!!!

Tronde,

what a great offer!!! gert at it !!
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Great footage boys!

here in Oslo there are no wildlife. Hehe.
Only people everywhere.

Looks like i may be heading for the shark tank this time.
I'm still stuck editing a big eventvideo that has to be finnished before i leave for the CEDIA course in London the 22.6

Good luck everybody!!
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Ha Ha. Just got the upload information...Haven't even had a chance to start yet!

I'm glad so many others seem to be getting great footage. Looks like Per has enough stuff to put together an entire series let alone a 3 minute clip.

Vaguely know what I'm gonna go for but will have a literally have a 10 hour window of free time to get all the footage I need. Bad weather or a no show from the wildlife will see me taking a second plunge into the shark tank...not good!

Good luck to everyone else.
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #72
Major Player

My rough cut is done now writing the VO hopefully I'll find the time to pull it all together.

A single frame for you.....

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9-spread.bmp  
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Trond. NOT YOU FRIEND! No shark tank for you! Look, we are all family here. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS. We have a week left. Can you at least dump your footage somewhere from tape to digital files? If so, send them to me and tell me what to do and I'll put it together for you. I'll simply be the tech monkey and make it a movie. I'll do just as you say. I'm finished with mine, so I'd be happy to do this. At least you can get something in?
Thank you very much for the great offer.
I plan to shoot some footage tomorrow or the next few days.

Unfortunately, the only computer I have access to, does not even have a firewire connection. So there is no way to even get any footage off the camera at the moment.
A friend of mine returns from out of the country in the evening the day of the deadline, so I might have a few hours to install an NLE, capture, edit, encode and upload from his computer.
But it doesn't look good at the moment.

If worst case happens, and I end up in the dreadful shark tank, I will be very selfish and keep it all by myself! All the rest of you will have to finish and submit an entry!! hahaha

Oh, and everyone:
Remember the rule of the rules.... #11: HAVE FUN!!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #74
Trustee

Trond,
sorry to hear about your computer trouble! If there is anything I can do, let me know? I could capture the tapes for you and send you the raw files back on CD/DVD if you liked? That way you could try to install premiere on your old pc even if you don't have any firewire.
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #75
Trustee

Trond:

There you go! Per has stepped in to help too. Under the circumstances, I can't imagine Meryem not allowing a helping hand.... how is your hand by the way? Did you really get hit on your bike by a car? Are you okay? Perhaps Per can dump the files for you and if I get the files over the internet, I would be happy to put something together. Just to keep you dry this round. Per and Trond, I'm at your service if you should decide to go for it!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge