Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 20th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #91
Major Player

Hi Cat,

Thanks for your comments.
It's nice to be out of the tank and UWOLing again.
Looking forward to seeing what creative masterpiece you have come up with this round.

Take care...
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #92
Trustee

Cat: No I saw many hedge hogs before the challenge and as soon as it started.....zilcho!! Typical huh! But I have been very lucky to find a female adders den/basking area and its given me fantastic views of a rare creature. The snake is an Adder or Northern Viper...its the Uk's only venomous snake but not agressive at all.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #93
Major Player

UWOL #9 will be only my second entry, but I will always remember it. I've been splashed by boat wakes - TWICE, I've have five hours of beautiful shooting ripped from the grip of my hard drive, I've woken at 4:30am and ended up over an hour LATE, only to wake up at 3:30am to do it all over again two days later. I slipped and fell on a dead Cormorant, reached for a rock covered in seal poop, dropped my lens cap off the top of a rock sea wall (nice sound, hearing such a piece bounce happily to into oblivion), and then finally today? I got caught (on a highway) right smack in the middle of a forest fire. Go ahead, try staying awake with two hours sleep in traffic not moving even inches per hour, while breathing dark brown smoke in a truck with no AC - for three hours. I tell you, if it weren't for the great idea to abandon the sweaty truck and film some aerial firefighting footage I don't think I ever would have made it home..

Field of nightmares

Field of nightmares II

Air support helicopter

Air support plane

Air support dump

Air support helicopter II

Empty house

By the way, just in case you're curious - YES, I got all the shots I wanted for UWOL#9 (none of which are above), and then some...
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM   #94
Major Player

Well I needed a couple of more shots...when I woke up, it look nice out, but shortly it started to rain...dang.
I still need those shots, need to edit, have to do some VO and work out the music...
So...what am I doing.
Preping the walls in our spare bedroom so my wife can paint it today...

Tomorrow will be a busy day, I suspect... :)
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM   #95
Major Player

I had a bit of a last minute panic - I was due to record my VO on friday night. I picked up a sore throat on wednesday, and had completely lost it by friday!! Thankfully my wife stepped in to take over, and she has done a great job with it. Other wise it would have been a series or grunts, coughs and wheezes accompanied by a subtitles. Not good ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #96
Trustee

That was a close one, Rob! I'm getting a bit sniffly, so I just about managed to voiceover yesterday before I started to sound too ridiculous.

Now the worst worry for me is "Adobe Premiere Pro is running low on System memory...". Eeek!

Edit: Also, during take one for the voiceover in the wardrobe of doom, I was concentrating too much to notice that someone downstairs was playing Johnny Cash. Loudly.

Ring of fire indeed.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM   #97
Major Player

Well, talk about last minute. I just uploaded my entry. It's a short one but that's ok.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:20 AM   #98
Major Player

Don't feel bad Oliver I came in just behind you. In fact mine may or may not have made it in time. Depends on your angle. It's like what we sometimes tell the gentleman police officer after getting pulled over after "Running a red light." My wife says it best - "Well officer, at least the front half of the car went through on time...?"

I have been up against one hell of a lot of drama in this entry, the worst of which I still can't put my finger on. Was it getting caught in a forest fire, or losing all five hours of shooting to my firestore. Either way you look at it, something got cooked...

I had to shoot my subjects THREE completely separate times over the last three weeks. Once because I can't get my new computer to access the files on my old raid array (yet), once because my external hard drive simply kicked the bucket with completely NO warning, and then the final time, apparently, because I love the abuse and somehow still had no footage.

Here's a fun fact for you, which you definitely won't believe: I just uploaded my video for entry into this month's UWOL challenge, WITHOUT EVER EVEN WATCHING IT.

that's how down the wire this one came for me. But I'm looking at the bright side here. The reason I couldn't work on it this afternoon is because I actually got hired to shoot an event for someone based on their watching my UWOL_7 entry. Therefore, today marks the very first dollar I have ever made with my camera.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:27 AM   #99
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
But I'm looking at the bright side here. The reason I couldn't work on it this afternoon is because I actually got hired to shoot an event for someone based on their watching my UWOL_7 entry. Therefore, today marks the very first dollar I have ever made with my camera.
Eric, congratulations!!! That was great news. It's really good when people like what you do, and that turns into making some $$. Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:29 AM   #100
Regular Crew

My entry this round was in stark contrast to last time, I uploaded it within hours of the deadline. Last run I was one of the first. Inspiration can be fickle at best. I was so sure I was headed to the tank, but somehow last week I got an inspirational moment.

To everyone in the tank this time, I was almost there with ya! My feet are still wet from the wading area!

By the way this is getting harder each round, I believe it's wanting to do better work each time that accounts for the change.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM   #101
Major Player

Go Eric!

Fantastic news with the filming job!
Good luck and may it be the first of many more filming jobs for you.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM   #102
Major Player

Awesome Eric. The same goes for me, I hope the filming jobs keep coming in your you.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:59 AM   #103
Major Player

For Pete's sake. I just realized I miss-spelled a word in my ending credits. Oh-well, too late now.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge