Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9

A thread for us to share our personal challenges completing UWOL #9...

I'll start....

My GL2 will be arriving today at the Canon repair facility....
Hoping for a speedy return....

Otherwise, my little old Panasonic GS-250 will have to come out....

Good luck everyone!

Bob T.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Good luck with getting your camera back Bob, i hope you get it in time to use it!

Bryce
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Wrangler

I can't believe that I have a tale of woe already...but I was shooting some footage of a kayaking competition from a bridge yesterday, using my RED camera. I had this great overhead shot...and I was changing out my media (CF cards) when all of a sudden a duck went flying through the rapids with the kayakers...followed within seconds by about six little babies. I knew that I would not be able to get my media switched out in time, so I just had to sit back and enjoy the moment. It was something, seeing those tiny fragile little babies navigating the rapids alongside the humans with all their high-tech gear....the money shot, for sure.

A couple of these guys have national titles for freestyle kayaking, and, as the last baby duck managed to escape the froth, one of them called out, "we have a winner!" That was cute, to see the human with the apex of human paddling skills acknowledging that he had nothing on a week-old duck.

Ducks 1
Humans 0
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi all, just a quick and small message from me. I'm out in the woodland for the moment. Hopefully I have my day, collecting some real nice wildlife shoots for you all to view. I'm trying to get the Great Grey Owl into my viewfinder, not the easyest target to get footage of, but with some luck....
...stay tuned!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Trustee

The Great grey is one of my personal fav's....fab, I wish you luck! Although I have to admit I thought that was a purely N.American species.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Trustee

Mat, the Great Grey is widely spread out the northern hemisphere. They breed in all Scandinavian countries, across northern Asia and North America.
It's very large and completely silent, you can pass it in the forest in just a couple of meters without even noticing it. If you are near it and you look in another direction, suddenly it has disappeared without any noise.
Some use to call it the ghost owl.
First time I saw it I was amazed by this. Could not imagine that a bird of this size could be so silent even in flight near you, you hardly notice any noise at all.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Trustee

I certainly know what you mean about silent flight. The barn owls I filmed, one of which flew over my head less then 2-3m away was completely silent too. Hence the name of the film of course :-) !!! I find owls fascinating in general but the great grey is a particular species I'd love to see...hey and especially if your filming it !!!

I'm going out this evening looking for hedgehogs. We have a lot around here, particularly at this time of year. This is a little guy from a walk last night.....shot with my phone !!
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9-hog.jpg  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Trustee

got the theme on Monday, Got the Raynox telephoto on Tuesday and ... here comes the rain.

It's predicted to hang around for the next couple of weeks - I just need 1 or 2 dry days and a good pair of waders to get close to some black swans - here's hoping
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post

I'm going out this evening looking for hedgehogs.
nooooo..... Mat, guess what I was doing last night armed with my nightshot handycam..... hahaha!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Trustee

Well, I got a start.

One lone doe. I guess she "napped" and was looking for the rest of the herd. Got a few seconds anyway.

I'll be haunting that place for a few evenings.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Trustee

I got it!

The Great Grey is on tape and in fact captured into FCP! My trip out in the woodland was great. Learned a lot about a species that I haven't been able to shoot any footage of before!
The footage is wonderful to watch, the light was perfect during the night and early morning, which is the best time for shooting wildlife in scandinavia right now.

Images are all screen capture from the timeline, shoot at HDV 1080i50
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9-lappugle1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #9-lappugle4.jpg  

Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Trustee

Fantastic images. Looking forward to the sequence fella !!! What lens was this with and at what distance?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Good Afternoon,

Per, Great shots!! Can't wait to see the footage.

Meryem, Murphy rules!!! Reading your post I anticipated you dropping your Red over the bridge!!

Narrowing a topic has been the problem as I do not want to shoot a mosaic which would be easy.

Was out yesterday, shot zero footage!! then the weather hit and it has been raining. thats ok as the prairie is disturbingly dry till now!!

On a Trek today I picked my subject, but I am going to have to do some serious traveling to get the footage. I am going to be shooting our native Prairie Falcon. Worked up a shot list, talked with a couple friends as I will need a mule or two to help haul equipment. Both cameras are working for a change. I will post a couple frame grabs next week. I just hope its dry enough to get back into the country we want to film.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Absolutely amazing shots Per!

Love the images Per and like Mat, I would be very interested to know the lens and distance. Also, did I see you using a Canon 400mm f2.8 prime whilst shooting the shots of the Golden eagle?

I have also just moved to FCP - which has been the right move for me. I love working between Motion and FCP, and will create my introduction using these two apps.

I have some good footage, but the light could be better, so I need to round it all off with some backlit sun set sort of shots. Plenty time to go....

Per, like always, I am really looking forward to seeing your entry.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #15
Trustee

More deer. 23 more minutes of attempts to follow deer. Copied over to the computer from the media card in 3 minutes (Dang, I love this AVCHD workflow! No more "real time" capture).

The downside, after reviewing all shot so far is that I now realize how bad my tripod sux! Seemingly steady enough at wide angle and close up settings, solidity goes right out the window at 12x telephoto zoom and in West Texas wind. I was complaining I need more telephoto reach and my tripod gear won't handle the reach of the zoom on the cam.

Anyway, some good "B roll" cutaways, music, and a few evenings of editing and I might just have something.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge