UWOL #9: strix-nebulosa by Per Johan Naesje - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Oh Dear Per!

You really have got yourself in a tricky situation. Every single film you make is better than the last. The Musk Ox were great, the Eagles stunning and now this. I'm struggling to think where your going to go next to keep up this constant progression! ;-)

In all seriousness though this is a great film. It has all the ususal Per hall marks of a great subject brilliantly captured in sharp detail. Wonderfull Camerawork and a dedication to the task.

I'm going to be incredubly picky and say that for me there was just a little too much naration. The music and ambient sound described the owls silent flight for me perfectly without aditional voiceover reienforcing this fact. But as i say this is just my opinion and i am being very picky. The piece as a whole is very impressive and you should be very proud of the results.

Pete
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #17
Major Player

I certainly can't add anything to what has been said already...Outstanding entry.

I'm happy if I get one thing right in my stuff...you get everything right.

Nice, very nice!

Bob
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Major Player

Wow… Per those shot are amazing. The shots when the Owl fly down and place it self right on the rock… brilliant. Some time I got problem with the narrating, some thing I think you know about and are working on, I don’t mind a dialect, I actually prefer a touch of “home” in the VO but sometime I don’t understand. Beautiful shot wide and close.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #19
Trustee

Per,

Excellent. This is what freaks me out - if I had access to the equipment and the environment that you have, I still couldn't produce anything near your quality. You inspire us all.

The opening sequences were very powerfully filmed, with the crane shots and that final tilt up to reveal the owl. What a handsome fellow he is. When you see him on that shot at 00:50, he really is superbly camouflaged. The close-ups are stunning. The shot of him landing at around 1:28 was superb, almost as if he was working to your script.

Your pans and tilts at those massive zoom levels (around 2:10, where you pan from the owl's talons to his face) are just perfect. And the silhouette at the end is stunning. The story, and your narration, flows well and is unobtusive.

Thank you so much for that.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Wrangler

Per-fection.

I’ve watched it several times – for the sheer enjoyment, and then for appreciation of the technical achievement in this piece. One clip that makes me smile because it would be so difficult to capture well happens near the end: The owl flies toward then unexpectedly away from the camera, causing you to zoom out and pan at the same time. Smooooooth. :)

Thank you for creating such beautiful films and sharing them with everyone here. That’s quite a bench mark you’ve set.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Your normal high quality work Per...You always have something new to show us,and filmed in such a great way...thank you
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #22
Trustee

Great stuff Per. Your field skills and patience is so very apparent and something that we should all aspire to in our work.

The standard of the photography is almost flawless as 'PER' usual ;-)

Your music was good choice but I feel you should have opened with a more dramatic shot. A reveal, jib or pan. I think the pans and jib shots you used after the opener went hand in hand with the music but the opening shot not so much.

The way you brought in the character with a reveal was great and if you can do, always better than a straight cut...so good choice there!

With your positioning I was a bit dissapointed you didn't do many detail shots of the owl. When you talked about plumage for instance a plumage closeup or small pan would have worked really well and added a further dimension. Or a clip of the talens gripping a branch, although you did show these slightly. Anyway just more detailing shots would have be even better I guess.

Closing shot was stunning!

Were you using AF when the owls were flying towards you by the way?

Fab stuff fella.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #23
Major Player

Hallo Per Johan.

The most have allredy been sayed,You are a great wildlife-photograf
Gratis whid youre best film,amaising!!!

VJV.

Old June 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #24
Trustee

Dear Per:

My husband and I were watching your film again.... and oh the wonders and miracles of it all. All of it is so amazing, there is not one frame out of place. We honed in on one small detail and were wondering how you did this. Incredibly, it doesn't even include the owl yet, it is exactly the 3rd scene and immediately before you show your first sighting of this majestic bird. How did you pan the scenery in such a way as to look like you are raising up but also something else. It's truly a remarkable shot of the forest floor but sort of in 3 D space. I would love to have a hint on how you did that.

Thank you for such remarkable work. We are all truly blessed to have your contributions with us.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
How did you pan the scenery in such a way as to look like you are raising up but also something else. It's truly a remarkable shot of the forest floor but sort of in 3 D space. I would love to have a hint on how you did that.
Cat, in this shoot I used a jib/crane. It's remarkable piece of equipment, which gives you this stunning effect. Look at the picture to view the setup. I've used it in uwol-7 in a couple of shots too.

Edit: and here I found an old footage example of the jib. This clip is from last year uwol-3!
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/UWOL/jib.mov (2.8MB)
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL #9: strix-nebulosa by Per Johan Naesje-behindthescenes1.jpg  

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; June 27th, 2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: added link to jib-example
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Were you using AF when the owls were flying towards you by the way?
I'm not quite sure if I used AF or manual in this particular shot. I was using both modes during these days. I do mostly manual focus, as I've found the AF-function on the H1 to be very slow and if the subject moves out of the center, AF starts to hunt!
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #27
Major Player

Per,

I have watched your entry a few times now (about 30 times give or take...) and keep thinking/wondering how you managed to set up for these sort of shots.

Could you give us budding nature filmers some insight into the thoughts that went through your mind on how you would capture this sort of footage - once you were told about the breeding pair. I mean, to get into the positions you got into to film waht I assume is a very shy bird... did you sit near the nest for hours/days on end waiting for the male to get used to you? Did you use baits at all, play owl calls, etc.

It is such stunning footage, I would just love to hear (and I'm sure I'm one of many) you talk about the planning that went into capturing this.

Congratulations once again Per - you really do set the standard.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #28
Trustee

Thanks Per!

The film clip was especially helpful to understand how you did this. I am thrilled, as such a master at this, that you share your experience in this way. How much weight do you end up packing into your shooting sites? It looks like a lot of equipment, you must be in great shape!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #29
Major Player

Stunning footage Per. I can't add to what has been said already. Very inspiring. Your approach to the subject always seems to draw out a grandiose and majestic beauty.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #30
Major Player

Per,
Having watched the owl several times, I went back to your website and viewed some clips never seen on UWOL. I was stunned. You have gone from good, to very good, to flawless in a two year period. It's a progression we can all learn from. I am especially impressed by your repeated ability to follow flying birds as smoothly as you do. What tripod and head do you use? Are they heavy?
One thing you may want to know, however. In the scientific binomial nomenclature of any creature the generic name is capitalized, the specific name is not, eg. it's Strix nebulosa. Right from the pen of your Swedish neighbor Karl Linne.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge