UWOL #9: "A Sunday in the Wilds" by Chris Barcellos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Wrangler

What a pretty little pond you found there! I really liked it accompanied by such a blue sky.

Isn’t it just like animals to be nowhere around when you really need them? ;)

You did a good job of mixing pans with static shots to give the eyes a chance to simply rest on a nice image. One thing you might try if you haven’t already, Chris, is the diagonal pan. I use it a lot, maybe because my eyes work that way when I’m scanning an area, but mostly because I think it adds interest and gracefulness—like a gentle sweep of an area or group.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Nice entry with lovely rich saturated color. Camera work was excellent and it had a very nice soothing feel with the slow pans and tilts combining with very relaxing music.

Well done.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Love the colors in your video,mine always seem to be washed out after compressing....did you enhance it at all in post?
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Chris,

That was very beautiful. I loved the rich colors and the music fit well with the change of scenery. Did the red winged black birds attack you like they attacked me?

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #20
Inner Circle

John: I use Vegas, and encode to a quicktime there. I find that in the process, I lose saturation, so I push the saturation up for the render.

Oliver: Noisy, but no attacks !
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Yes, it is what it is...and it was lovely to watch. The music was a great choice for such a serene type of film. The colors were very vibrant and your camera work was well mixed and executed. Nice footage and yes, it would have been nice to have mixed it up a it with some wildlife however, I do agree, finding wildlife on a Sunday avo can be difficult (same here in Aus).

Not bad at all for a quiet Sunday afternoons work. Well done Chris.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Chris.

Something funny happens when I open up your video file, it starts playing at 3.03 ?
I have to push the rewind button and then it's OK :)

This was a beautiful video to watch and the music is just right. Great colours. No VO needed in this one as the music and clips do tell it all. Building up expectation and then the sound from the bird comes in and finally we get to see it. I just wonder if we sometimes forget that trees and plants are living hings too, eh? And that birds and animals need a habitat to live in? I just wish I had some of your skills when it comes to putting together clips this way. A wildlife film dont have to be a "stuffed turkey", if you know what I mean :)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM   #23
Major Player

That's what a Sunday stroll should be like - good and peaceful. Who needs a church on a Sunday when you have God's creation all around you!

Pity the animals weren't a bit more forthcoming, but it makes them something to be enjoyed even more when they are there.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #24
Major Player

A nice, contemplative film. Beautiful images, especially the blackbirds. You have a great way of focusing on the essence of a scene, really bringing it out. Great film.

Ruth

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge