UWOL#9 "Deer Watch" by Bruce Foreman - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #16
Trustee

Nice film Bruce, as always! I liked the interaction between you and the deers. You did very well in the edit here. The opening shots was nice, lead us to your place. I could have wish some more different cuts of the deer, more wideshots, and of course close-ups, but this is minor.
Keep up your good work Bruce!
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #17
Major Player

Amazing images from such a little camera Bruce. Mine is three times the size and most days I don't get images to looking that nice. I've seen many deer around here as well, but I've never seen them behave like that. Kind of reminds me of when my wife comes home after a bad day.

Thanks for the film Bruce.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
This one kind of illustrates the encroachment of civilation on the wild environment.
I hear you Bruce. We have the same problem in Illinois, except it is mostly the disappearing farm land. But that in it's self takes away local wild life habitats. Very nice.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Trustee

Wow! A lotta both nice and instructive comments here!

I apologize for being so late in watching and commenting on our UWOL films. I finished and uploaded mine early so I could start on the other challenge on this site, but in between I had a request for a Defensive Handgun class and that tied me up for a week, then I got to start on the DVC challenge. So I’m just now starting to review the UWOL entries and add my comments.

Cat: "Breeze in my face"? The wind almost never quits here, one of the main problems I had was the wind causing slight movement in the heaviest tripod I had. I had to bear down on the upper part of the legs with some of my weight to brace and stabilize the tripod. A lot of footage wound up in the "bit bucket" because of this. But thanks for the kind comments.

David Gemmel and others commenting on getting closer: The guy who they are used to seeing with the bucket of corn and a scoop can get amazingly close but they watch him intently also.

My tripod spooked them and I had to actually set it up on the other side of my vehicle (they are used to seeing vehicles, too) and shoot over my hood.

I estimate the distance from the curb across the field to the brush/tree line to be about 125-150 yards.

Lorinda: White tail deer. That's all I've seen in West Texas although I think the central hill country, north and east Texas also have mule deer. Some ranches in the central hill country (like the YO) stock exotic game.

All commenting on the cutaways using me: This was all I could do on this one to avoid nothing but "jump cuts" in the deer sequence. The only range I could shoot from was where I was, wider views were very uninteresting. So I had to use me. But knowing how much I enjoy seeing you folks when you include yourselves in your films, I don't mind doing it myself.

When you put yourselves in yours for me to see, it is like a personal video "letter" from a friend and that adds so much to my enjoyment of what we do here.

Folks: Thank you all for watching and commenting. Now I need to get on with watching yours.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Bruce,
I thought your narration was A1 a great lead in to you stopping and setting up your cam then on to take your shots of the young bucks sparring,
the choice of music was good, soft and calming.
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Bruce.

I liked this video a lot and maybe thats because, every autumn we have some deer coming to our garden and eating all of our apples. Every time I tell my wife the same thing: "Next year we'll pick'em before the deer comes around". But we never do :)
Nice pick of music and you are a great storyteller. I miss some closeups of the deer, but the fighting clips are great. I have never seen this among the norwegian deer, but they do fight in Norway too. Is this just female deer or what? In Norway the male and female keep distance until autumn comes around.

Wish you all the best.

Geir Inge
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #22
Trustee

This is a mixed herd, bucks and does, a few of the does are even obviously pregnant. The bucks are getting territorial over small piles of corn. One person who lives on that street wanders out with a bucket of corn and with a scoop puts small piles of corn on the ground.

A few of the bucks figure it's all theirs. I actually got some footage of this guy with the bucket and the deer watching him intently until he wandered back off the field.

The ones you see don't do this over your apples?
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:21 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Bruce I liked your film, good use of composition and a nice clean VO. The story was interesting, A-1 work man.

Cheers
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:51 AM   #24
Major Player

At last I've found a few minutes to start looking at UWOL entries, and this was top of the list.

This is the kind of movie I try to teach (wildlife) beginners to take - using the camera on a tripod, knowing the limitations of your equipment (eg 12x lens) and appreciating your subject (and how close or not that you can get to it). Straightforward story about arriving, what you see, cutaways, and an ending. The long clips gave a relaxed feel to it - just what you should have when watching nature. No need for any fancy equipment. The narrative just gave the right amount of explanation.

If I have any criticism, it is that some of the panning wasn't smooth (I rarely get it right either) and you could have included another wide cutaway.

But it was enjoyable to watch, and that's what counts.
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
This is also the area where 3 mountain lions charged out of the brush to take down a deer in front of several folks out for a walk.

[/url]
Well you certainly wouldn’t catch me walking along there in a hurry - especially not at night! We have had too many people taken out by big cats in these parts to take a chance.

Very nice story and V.O. as usual Bruce. I have to second Eric’s observation - you certainly get amazing images from such a little camera - what a pleasure not to have to lug what some of us have to lug. Nice to get footage of the deer sparring.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #26
Major Player

As usual, I really enjoyed your film. The footage was really dramatic, and the narration was just right. I like the mix of shots, and the longer ones allow the action to unfold. Some of the atmosphere you captured in the light was almost as amazing as the subjects, too. Some photographers say you need to photograph the light as much as what you take the picture of, so I think you did that amazingly in this film. Thanks for sharing! I liked watching this a lot- informative and relaxing at the same time- a great combination.

Ruth

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge