UWOL #9 "Wetland Wonder" by David Gemmell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #16
Major Player

Top class entry as we have come to expect from you David.Whenever I think I am getting a grasp on this video making thing,I view your video's and know that I have a long way to go....stunning entry and no doubt a top 3 entry
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks to all of you for your positive feedback.

I am trying hard with my filming and feel I am starting to improve. What I am enjoying is where UWOL takes you sometimes. On many occasions when UWOL is not on, I might not make the effort to get out there (although I always try and maximize my time with the boys) however, when UWOL comes around, I find myself thinking where I can get some exciting footage. This is leading to some great times filming, and also with the family. I'm sure we are all experiencing the wonderful "add on" benefits of UWOL.

Most people commented on the shot of the Galahs, and it is a nice shot without a doubt however, i just love the opening morning scenes. I also would have loved to have captured the Emus drinking better however, I just couldn't get back far enough with the 120 - 300mm f2.8 Sigma lens. I just love this lens. If I had my standard 20x or even the 6x, it would have made for some nice shots, as they came right by my hide and were backlit beautifully. Without the hide, I would never have got half the shots I got, so I certainly would encourage anyone looking to capture shy wildlife to invest in one.

Peter: My wife made the hide for me using material from Aussie Disposals, which is a chain store here which sells army surplus material and the like. I bought four expandable tent pole thingies, plus green nylon material plus the camouflage stuff plus some green guy rope string. Sue then did the rest.

Thanks once again for all your positive feedback. It's been very nice sitting up the last few nights watching some amazing footage from all over the world!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #18
Major Player

I can’t add much more to the accolades already posted. Really beautiful footage as usual David.
You have a very pleasant, quiet voice and should try adding a commentary to your next video. Although I absolutely hate doing a V.O. for my own videos I have to agree that it does result in a more complete story.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Trustee

Hi David:

It's Cat,,, again! Now that I have seen a all of the UWOL films, I am able to sit back, relax and soak up the beauty of a selected few (with my husband). We have come back to yours and it is simply so beautiful. Thank you friend, it is such a joy to see this again. You see, we are so compelled to crank through the entries and comment, it is our obligation. But now (as I grow older, HA!) I enjoy basking again in the handful (harder, and harder to pick out these days) that fill my soul. Thank you David.... This was simply beautiful and filled my soul. The only problem I can pick out is that it ends so quickly. Thank you, and UWOL, for entering into my life and blessing it so.

Sincerely,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Cat,

It was so lovely to read your last post. Thanks so much for your generous and kind words.

You really are something special Cat - whether it pitching in to support the people in Iowa, solving download/computer problems in Norway, or just supporting your fellow UWOLers, I think we are just so privileged and blessed to have you in our company.

I hope you have a wonderful day, as you have certainly made mine!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #21
Trustee

that was great mate! - what a spot, I can see I'm going to have to put some serious time in at the national parks round here - fantastic stuff
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #22
Trustee

David,

The colours! The colours! That opening shot was beautiful, with the red sunlight lighting up the trees.

I found it unusual to see so few cockatoos. They must all be in the suburbs! In my holidays in NSW I'm regularly woken up by what seems like hundreds of sulphur crested cockies screaing round the houses. Some great close-ups of them too.

You had to get the flamin' galah in too. Wouldn't be an Aussie wildlife film without one!

You used the relfections in the water to great effect, especially with the black winged stilt. The shot of the pair mating was just perfectly framed, and nicely close up too.

There were some great pans there - the avocets at the start, in particular. You got a lot of subtle movement in your scenes, nice gentle pans, and they really add an extra dimension. That's something I need more practice at and probably better equipment too.

Great location (check it out in Google Earth!) - great film.
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #23
Major Player

David,

I have to agree with Mike. What fantastic colors. It is a very lovely film. I liked the synchronized dipping into the water.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #24
Major Player

Wow, I felt like I was in some amazing virtual reality zoo. I love the opening shot- so ethereal, made me feel as if I was also hearing and feeling the place, it was so vivid. The birds were amazing- the emu was fascinating to see, and the mirrored birds, especially the galahs, were beautiful. I liked the way you commented at the end. Not sure if it could have been made to feel more part of the film- maybe by leading in more with the music rather than the extended gap of silence. But no matter, I liked it, and felt it added, to see you at the end and know how you had captured this amazing place. Thanks so much for your patience, and in sharing your 4 magical days with us.
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi David,

You just gave me one more reason to visit Australia.
I loved every single second of your video! It was as if I was there in the hide with you.
(Wish I was)
Very nice birds, and amazing colors!

Thank you very much for sharing.
I look forward to your next videos.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge