UWOL#9 "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Oliver Pahlow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Well here is my last UWOL #9 review...I believe I've watched and commented on them all.

Saved my good friend Oliver for last... :)

See...told ya so. Told ya it was good and that the fine folks here would like it...
Ya told a story, a good story...not everyone can do that.

And hey...I know where some spiders are hidding, big ones! ;)

Bob
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
Well here is my last UWOL #9 review...I believe I've watched and commented on them all.

Saved my good friend Oliver for last... :)

See...told ya so. Told ya it was good and that the fine folks here would like it...
Ya told a story, a good story...not everyone can do that.

And hey...I know where some spiders are hidding, big ones! ;)

Bob
Are they big, juicy spiders?

LOL
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #18
Major Player

I like how you let go of the tripod and chased that blackbird around freehand. Looked like he was attacking you. The music matched your mood. A little down, not sure which way to go. I find myself in this place almost every day I shoot for UWOL challenges. I have an idea, but can't find it out there. I find it out there, but can't make a story of ut. I love an image to no end, but just stare at it on the monitor - not knowing which way to turn.

I have a plan for next challenge, maybe I'll share it with you. I'm going to write a story, do the voice over in a naked timeline, THEN I'm going to go out shooting. Maybe this will get me out of the funk I sometimes find myself in..

Hope it helps. Nice, not giving up.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #19
Trustee

Oliver,

Don't put yourself down, that was a good little film. My thoughts...

I sure hope you didn't stand on any of those little frogs! That's all I could think of in your opening sequences!

You did very well to track those blackbirds as they swooped at you, it gave a very real feeling of what it is like to be on the receiving end of their anger.

Your series of shots on the bridge are really well framed, and the sequence works well. And there's just something about knowing that you compose your own music that makes it quite satisfying for me to watch.

I really appreciate the frustration with the themes. I spent a week wondering just what on earth I was going to film; wildlife? Round here? I had a rat once, but it's gone away. And blue tits and starlings just didn't appeal to me. It can be so hard! At the end of the day, the camerawork and the editing are the easy bits, the creative part can be really difficult.

Oh, and did I mention... I don't like spiders? Makes me kinda glad you didn't feature them too heavily in the end!
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Oliver,

I take my hat off to you man for not giving up and staying out of the tank!

I also liked your entry - in particular the music which seemed to reinforce the frustrations you experienced trying to film those spiders. The footage of you walking towards and then away from the camera later also added nicely to this.

Looking forward to seeing you next entry.

UWOL is certainly a challenge!

Well done Oliver.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Oliver, good show man. I liked the story, was a bit rushed maybe, but it had heart. The frogs were a good mid point. A little more of the spiders would have been good. You have good camera work, keep it up.

See you next time.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Oliver,
It’s good to see you overcame your frustrations and went ahead to finish your uw challenge, I’m sure you will find all those frustrations gone when you take on your next entry.
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi Oliver

I like the 'video diary' type feel to the piece. I think this is something that could really be built on for uwol! I liked the focus pull on your spider but then I wanted to see a close-up I have to say. I know you were struggling with macro on your camera but I think you conveyed the little frogs and spider well anyway.

Great stuff, keep up the good work.
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #24
Major Player

Thank you all so very much for your comments, suggestions, and encouragements. I am trully honored that you took the time and had the patients to watch my short all the way through. I have seen so much great stuff from everyone and I have once again learned a few things. I am already looking forward to the next challenge. Thanks again.

Oliver
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Major Player

I enjoyed the you are there style commentary that took us along on your hike. I think it was all too realistic in what I see in a typical day out filming. Though I try to capture exciting wildlife doing amazing things, more often than not I only get a glimpse (if that) of what I am looking for, so I appreciate the honesty of this film. I also liked the music, which helped set the mood. The low angle shot of what I think are actually baby toads was really neat- and I was really glad to see none were harmed in the making of the movie in your credits : )
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #26
Major Player

Thank you Ruth.

Oliver
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Oliver,

Most has been said by the others already.
At the end I sat there, wanting to see more (close ups) of the spiders.
But you had a nice concept with a good story.
You make great music. Fits your video perfectly.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to your next videos.
Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Oliver,

You actually have a good story going here. All you actually needed were a couple sharper spider shots!!! The vinetting makes me think you zoomed a tad to much, with diopters this also makes them slightly out of focus. What did you use??

I look forward to your next entry!! Only a few weeks away.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge