UWOL #9 "Marsh Magic" by Gordon Hoffman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #9 "Marsh Magic" by Gordon Hoffman

This theme should have been easy for me but unfortunately I didn't get out enough to get the footage I would have liked. Not sure where all the time went. But I believe in putting something together is better than nothing, which this is not far from. Thanks for watching.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Gordon,

Some great footage!! The footage of the white tails in the water dunking their heads under to eat the underwater foliage is amazing. I have never seen a mule or white tail do that!!! The moose is of course a species of deer and they always eat like that, so I guess that should not surprise me.
Nicely put together with some great shots. My only criticsm of it would be the colors seemed rather washed, but then I am more prone to want colors to Pop so maybe it is just me!!

Thanks for taking the time!! very nicely done!!!
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Wow Gordon:

That was lovely. I'm with Dale, I too have never seen deer submerge their heads. For something that was just put together, I'm very impressed. It was calming. It took me away from my computer and I felt like I was there... not all films do that. It was very meditative and relaxing. The moon shot in the end was a nice ending. Thanks for taking me away like this!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Gordon,

As I've said in the past, you live in heaven - I am just amazed at the beauty of where you live and the wildlife in your backyard!

The footage you brought to us was just wonderful - with the shot of the moose being my favourite, and also the canada goose/ beaver scene, then there was the moon coming up over the hill. Absolutely stunning.

I too found the footage seemed to have a browny/green haze/hue throughout and it appeared as if the interlacing hadn't been removed - with horizontal lines quite evident? I'm sure there are plenty other UWOlers who can better guide you on this.

Well done Gordon. I loved it!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #5
Major Player

I was not going to harp on about the colors...Ok I suppose I just did.I have never noticed that on any of your other video's.Did you change anything on this one?.Your take on the theme was spot on and well filmed...good entry for something you claim you never got enough footage for.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Gordon, you got some really nice footage there. For me this is well known species and you did very well in the shots of them! A couple of hard cuts, but that is minor.
The ambient sound was good too, I'm not quite sure if any narrating would have enhanced it?
Keep up your good work.
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #7
Major Player

mmmmm… nice…. I really like your film, smooth and clear. The sound is so clear, I like it very much. Most of the time when I’m view wildlife film I like a VO, maybe just a few words, but in this film I didn’t miss it, I don’t know way but I guess it’s a good sign.
Well done Gordon
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Gordon, nice job on this whole film. Natural sound was very cool.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Biggest selection of different species yet!

Good job.

Except for the obvious colour issues this was a lovely piece. it had the feel of an early morning to it, a quietness and stillness with some lovely ambient sounds which gave a real atmosphere to this piece.

Stunning location by the way. Absolutely stunning

Good job Gordon!
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Wrangler

Ahh.....this one is my "feel good" favorite of all the entries I’ve watched so far, Gordon. I love the simplicity, the tranquility of it. You packed footage of more species in just a few minutes than I could have dreamed of getting in six month’s time, and you cut it together gracefully. I’m still smiling.

As others have noted, unless you made a creative decision otherwise it seemed you had a couple things working against you from a technical standpoint, but they also look like things that could be tweaked to make this even more wonderful than it already is. If you decide to enhance it some I’m sure I’m not the only one who would love to see it.

By the way, thanks for including what the news called the "huge June moon." I got footage almost identical to yours but chose to leave it out, so I'm glad you documented the event. :)
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Trustee

Gordon,

I know what you mean about the lack of time - this UWOL really pushed me to the deadline and I just couldn't find time for it, especially during the week because of work.

I also noticed the interlacing issue. I used VLC and enabled its deinterlacing and it helped a lot (but it couldn't play the sound - bah!).

You managed some good shots there with good close-ups of the ducks, including some good tracking shots - I found those so hard, which is why you can't see any in my entry!

I loved the shots of the deer in the water, drimking and generally being deer. I liked them picking their way back into the trees. The beaver was a great catch too - and the moose is just such a pleasant beastie. There's some good tripod work here too - I'm not sure how far away you are from you actos? - something I struggle with.

The huge moon shot worked well - hard to capture a large moon, as you lose the "largeness" on video normally, but seeing it rise over the bushes made the size quitre apparent.

This film is definitely much better than "not far from nothing". Well done!
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Major Player

Gordon...nice work!

When I first watched it, I felt it needed music or VO....
But on a second watch, it worked just fine the way it is...
Although I did notice the sound levels were low.
I really had to crank up my speakers to hear it.

Excellent shots...nice opening scene and, as mentioned the moon was very nice.

Bob
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #13
Trustee

Gordon,

As others here have said, this was a very peaceful tranquil few moments you gave us.

Others commented on the colors, they looked muted as approaching dusk will do sometimes and I suspect some of your footage was done at that kind of time of day.

Your shot of the moose was magnificent.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Wow Gordan,

That was some great footage and that moon at the end. As I was watching I could only imagine that you must have been camouflaged or used a great telephoto lens.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #15
Trustee

Hi Gordon.

Your video made my day Gordon.
Peaceful and tranquil it gave me a feeling of:
"Sit down and relax. The only thing that matters is this moment, out here in the wilderness".
No VO needed as the background sound with the tine music at the beginning and end gave it a a magic touch. Also love the moon shot ending.
Thank you Gordon for sharing this lovely piece of art with us.

All the best.
Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge