Uwol 9# How Hard Can It Be? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Trustee

bloody funny - that was great.
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Wrangler

Hmm...I’m not sure which is more entertaining – the video or the post. Great entertainment all the way around, guys!
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #18
Trustee

I hope you guys had as much fun making that one as it seems we are having watching it and chuckling over it.

The way you handled the film shows a lot of creative thinking. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your lovely messages! We most certainly did have fun doing it.
It got rather scary at a few points but even then we spent most of the time in fits of laughter.

When we first set sail I could see literally nothing whilst steering the boat because of the 360 degree camouflage wrap we had rigged up so had to rely on very blinkered directions from Nick peering out of one of the filming portals cut in the fabric. Hence the elaborate steering stick rigged up and visible at 0:32. The steering stick arrangement did have its drawbacks especially with tight turns as you can see at 0:50 which was the first of several near misses. Unfortunately later on we had to lash the steering stick to the boat to act as vital structural support but by that time the damage was so severe that I was wearing most of the fabric as some kind of elaborate poncho so had a reasonable view of where we were headed.

Your right Eric. It is great having someone to film with. Nick and I have been the best of friends for about 18 years now and have always made silly films. Whilst we’re trying to be a bit more serious these days (especially with our commissioned work) the daftness sometimes creeps through.

Role on the next uwol!
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #20
Trustee

Peter,

You just have to be different, don't you? That is quite the luxury yacht you have there, even if it was designed by William Heath Robinson!

Shooting from the boat must be incredibly hard, it's just not practical to think about getting stable shots. So this turned out to be an NYPD Blue-style nature film - and is none the worse for it, it is quite an interesting style.

Your in-flight catering is good too. I had to make do with a Tesco sandwich full of mayonnaise (yuck), what I wouldn't hae given for a nice packet of digestive biscuits as I was out in the hide watching the birds. Mind you, at least I didn't run the risk of getting sea-sick...

I laughed myself silly at the end when your creation fell apart. I think you guys took the biggest personal risks of anyone in this round!

Very different, and very good.
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Peter, looked like you had a lot of fun making your captain pugwash film, very entertaining.
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Well you sure didn't forget the main rule of UWOL "have fun". Great way to turn this around into a riotously funny film. Nice bird footage in there too.

Good stuff, keep it coming.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Peter,

What a fun vidfeo!! Well conceived or played out, who cares!! it was fun to watch.

I chuckled at the p0wer music to start with but in the end it truly was a pleasure to watch.
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Mike- compared with 'the 10 tab mission' which we made for uwol 7 which documents our high speed dash across Hungary this one was mild in terms of risk. Godness only know whats gonna happen on the next one but I'm gonna take out some extra insurance cover first.

Your certainly right about getting stable images though. It was originaly our intention to drift in a quite still and invisable fasion up to the wildlife, film it to within an inch of its life and then drift on. At at 4 am when there wasnt a breath of wind this worked perfectly (or would have done if there had been any wildlife about). Then the wind got up and the rest is sort of history.

Ron- I was going for Captain Jack Sparrow but will settle for Pugwash on this one. That poor boat has been used for the odd pirate adventure in its time too. needs a bit of TLC me thinks.

Roll on Uwol 10 and more anarchy (hopefully a bit more wildlife next time though)
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #25
Wrangler

"would you like some more tea, Mr. Joslin"

sounds like something from a james bond thriller...those innocuous innocent questions that precede the insanity that is about to ensue....

this thing cracked me up.

how come, no matter what theme i post, it always turns into ADVENTURE???
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:33 AM   #26
Regular Crew

"Life. If your not having an adventure then your not doing it properly."
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #27
Major Player

This was really fun, and I loved the playing with sound- very effective having the backwards music to set the mood for disaster. You mixed in some nice wildlife sandwiched between the misadventure. Creative, funny, even educational. I look forward to another (mis)adventure!

Ruth
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I can see rule #11 played a big role in your making of the video.
Must have been crazy fun to be out in that boat.

It was really fun and entertaining to watch too. Cool music.
Someone mentioned Monty Pyton, and I have to agree. Reminds me of those films.
Thanks for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge