UWOL # 9 "Seabirds" by Geir Inge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL # 9 "Seabirds" by Geir Inge

I'm putting up this thread for Geir Inge, which is out of office for the moment and not able to view nor comment any of the films.
But he would like you to comment on his film the Seabirds and he will be strongly back next week commenting on all the others films for this round of uwol.

Here's the link for the film: http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...9_seabirds.mov
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Geir Inge, your skills about filming wildlife is stunning to watch. I think this is one of your best to date! You show us the western coastline of our country in a very nice way. And the varied birdlife you got there. I can see you have been traveling a lot to get the scenes in this film!
Opening scene was very nice and the score substantiate the film well.
The close-up of the Oystercatcher was stunning to watch!
One of the top entries in this round!
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Well done Geir, I like the way to take of with you on you journey. The story is solid and well told. I don’t like the black fades in the beginning, I think you could have faded as normal or just cut. I don’t se the benefits with the black fades this time and for me they took a bit of the beauty away. This is a very nice film and at the top for me.
Well done!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Great stuff Geir. Your film making is becoming more and more rounded and your imagery is great. The shot of the Oystercatcher on the nest was a remote one I'm guessing??....great work, producing a very intimate shot. I found some of your scenics at the start needed to breathe a bit more, maybe a few less with more screen time might have been better. I also noticed a couple of wonky horizons. Boat shots were very steady. VO was fab, but then you are a seasoned pro now huh :-) The whole piece was nicely wrapped up with a good premise!

Great stuff fella.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Trustee

wonderful! - I agree about the fade to black, it took something away from a majestic beginning - the music & the mist - I loved the footage and the narration - well done
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Hallo Geir Inge

Gratis whit a new fantactic film.The sound is making the film-filing a think,
realy nice.And some of the clos-up of the bird is realy good.So I must say
you make a good entery again.

VJV.

Old June 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I liked this film a lot. The majestic scenics at the beginning were wonderful, giving the film an epic feel. I do agree that adding time to the opening shots, and maybe cutting one would have been better. As far as fades, I don't think they were that distracting, and I like fades to black sometimes.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!
Surely!
If not I'll eat my hat.

What a beautifully paced and classy film. Exactly the style that I enjoy most.

The oystercatcher approaching the nest was wonderful piece of footage. Were you in a hide or was the camera left to record? I ask because in the final shots of the nest the chick only just makes it into shot but that is really the only criticism I have of this piece.

You gave just enough information for a 3 minute short, not to much and not to little and filled the piece with a good variety of excellent wildlife. The music was spot on and your voice over brilliant.

WELL DONE!
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Geir:

You are at your best here. The lead in at the beginning was haunting and beautiful. Your narration is the classic Geir voice, informative and wonderful to listen to. I'm thrilled you were able to capture the chick hatching! It would have been nice to focus on that just a little more. You live in such a beautiful place... oh, and what were you doing so close to the edge of the cliff like that!!!

Stunning, thanks Geir. We look forward to you "joining in" next week.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Major Player

This has to be the most spectacular overview of birds of a type on UWOL to date. What a magnificent film Geir. From the awesome scenery to the finest images of the birds it is a masterpiece. A very interesting and informative story to boot. One of the top contenders for sure.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Geir, the opening shots of the morning mist rolling over the coastal cliffs
is a lovely sight,
The Oyster catcher close up incubating it’s eggs, with the wild flowers behind, what a great shot.
From being to end your short is packed with stunning shots and sea vistas, all these sea birds on your cost line, with a bonus pair of White tailed Eagles.
You controlled the music at the right moments for your narration, which was clear and well written well done.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Geir, beautiful job here. Like others, I love the closeups you got as well. Although I am curious as to how you captured the audio in the Oystercatcher shot. Was it a telephoto shot?

I like the fist fade to black and back, but the others you might do without. While I like the music, and I LOVE the film, I'm not sure they go together so well for me. I kept waiting a Geisha girl to jump out wielding a Samurai sword! Who knows though, maybe that music is from the same place. I don't get out much.. ;- )

Great color, and fabulous assortment of shots. Congratulations Geir.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #13
Wrangler

Oh my.....that was beautiful.

The fades worked for me, which is odd because I get so tired of them in feature film trailers. But this time I thought they added a lot, and as Chris said so well, gave it an epic feel.

The Asian music? For a split second it fought with me, but then I didn't care--it was too pretty and set the mood too well for it to be a problem.

I'm in awe of your image quality. Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Geir,

Yes, this is your best entry to date and one of my top three entries.

A beautiful beginning, middle and I loved how you brought home such a powerful message coming back to your little friend, the oystercatcher and her chicks.

Taking us along for the ride at the start was very nicely filmed. Gee, you've got a steady hand during the boat trips. To then see such beautiful footage of the birdlife and get some appreciation for the dangers involved (gee mate, be careful up there) up on the cliffs was also a well thought out inclusion. I really picked up on the beautiful color of those early morning on the water establishing shots and also the sharpness of your footage. All done very nicely.

Yes, for me, this entry took me along on a very exciting day's filming - and I really got a small sense of how wonderful the days events unfolded. I really could write so much about the things I liked in this entry.

Well done, I truly feel this is deserving in so many ways of being UWOL #9's winner - although I still have a couple more to view. Good luck Geir.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Major Player

Geir Inge...what can I say? Fantastic stuff!

You hooked me with the opening shots, I got caught up in the middle and at the end...I wanted more.

As others have said, the closeups were great! You must tell us how you got them.

And finally...it was educational. I love that!

Bob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge