DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL X Idle Chatter Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/126702-uwol-x-idle-chatter-thread.html)

Meryem Ersoz July 25th, 2008 09:31 PM

UWOL X Idle Chatter Thread

Don't clutter up our pristine sign-up thread with your idle chatter. Post it here instead.

Any guesses about the mysterious UWOL X theme? I am sure that you are wrong, but you might give me some good ideas for future rounds.

Oliver Pahlow July 26th, 2008 09:47 AM

Is it "Wings"?

Oliver

Peter Damerell July 26th, 2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Pahlow (Post 912224)
Is it "Wings"?

Oliver

....As in the band with Paul McCartney? I hear he jealously guards his privacy. We're gonna need a bigger lens in order to get any close ups of the ex-beetle.

I honestly have no idea about the theme but I do like the way that the sign up thread opens with "let the adventure begin". Something involving risk taking perhaps....Sounds very promising!

Geir Inge July 26th, 2008 11:27 AM

Hi Brian.
Maybe I'll try the "Upside Down Club" way when I cross the Arctic Circle on my way North to Lofoten :) I kinda like the idea of drinking beer, standing on my head :/

Uwol X theme?
Maybe something with flowers, plants?

By the way Meryem:
Here's an idea for a future theme.
Ask us for a short story, novelle, dramatizing a story with at least one human being, and at least one animal or bird. Kinda Jack London inspired story. I know 3 min is a little bit too short, but it would have been quite a challenge and fun :)

Kevin Railsback July 26th, 2008 01:19 PM

Mmmm, I'm thinking if it's going to be so tough that she's giving us an extra week, that it's not so much a "thing" as an idea or a concept.

It could be a simple concept or something that is so grand in scope that it's almost overwhelming.

The thing to remember is that the theme will be something that can be universal. She's not going to throw Fall color at us when it's Spring time in other parts of the world.

So, I think it's going to be something like a feeling, or a concept but not an actual "thing."

So, it could be something like "Solitude", "Love", "Connections", etc.

That's my two cents on it.

Michael Wisniewski July 26th, 2008 02:39 PM

I was thinking "Landscapes of the Mind" or something like that. On the other hand I wouldn't want it to turn into a navel gazing exercise!

Dale Guthormsen July 26th, 2008 03:16 PM

I think Kevin is on the track, something like:

Outdoor Fun
Fun in the Sun
Sunrise activities
So Fun it Hurts
Extreme Video

So broad everyone can do it and the extra week should give everyone at least a weekend to get out and have some fun as well as filming.

Steve Siegel July 26th, 2008 05:50 PM

It's probably going to be "people' oriented to make it hard. My lens freezes up when it points toward a human.

David Gemmell July 26th, 2008 06:31 PM

I think it will be something to do with us filming the subject - as opposed to the actual subject. Something like "the nature filmer" or "filming nature".

Meryem Ersoz July 26th, 2008 08:54 PM

interesting concepts. provocative ideas.

nope!

LOVE, awww Railsback, you big teddy bear....

Annie Haycock July 27th, 2008 07:24 AM

Steve - I have the same problem.

Dale Guthormsen July 27th, 2008 03:14 PM

new toys

Great to hear some of you have new toys. Nothing like new equipment to excite you about getting out there and filming.

I ordered a fu 1000 in June so I would have it for this summer's shoots, on back order I was told!!! Ugggg.

I do have one new toy that I am hoping to use in the coming shoot.

Anxiously awaiting for thursday, but we will be off camping so I do not know if I can get the theme till we return!!

Eric Gulbransen July 27th, 2008 05:05 PM

Had my camera over a year. Never made a dime with it but I shot constantly. Sold it the day after UWOL #9 and began getting hired instantly. How weird is that..

Not sure how but I plan to try for UWOL X.

Meryem Ersoz July 27th, 2008 11:18 PM

so...i'll be the one to ask. why did you sell your camera, silly man? how do you expect to play without it? cell phone cam? isight? this should be interesting...

Eric Gulbransen July 27th, 2008 11:47 PM

Playing the resale market. Figured once the EX3 hit our shores my JVC might drop a notch (or two). I have so much to learn it's ridiculous so I'm putting the down time to good use. There's a very interesting saying in racing which applies to my learning curve here - sometimes you have to slow down in order to go faster..