UWOL X Sharktank at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL X Sharktank

OK, I will be the first to fill the shark tank full of water. I have not heard from my sponser. I'm a little Peeved about the whole challenge thing. I told myself, if I could not find a sponser for some reason I would still put a short film together anyway. Well, now I don't feel like doing that either. I just read about PETA and how they want to tie that crazy Wacko Canading "cutting a humans head off" Bus incident with treating animals destined for Slaughter. I read the artical and it put me into another depressed place. I fell I should become a full plegded vegetarian now. Excuse my spelling. But, as a compassionate person I connot eat red meat, veal, and I cannot eat chickens now too. Am I alone in this? I was so depressed I wrote a melodie, and here it is. In nature, predators are much cruler than humans when it comes for food. Humans by nature feel above animals and treat animals cruley. It's about food? What is it about?

http://www.blindchildproductions.com..._the_night.mp3
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Oliver,

First of all, the melody was fantastic. If you happen to flesh it out some more I'd love to use it in some work sometime, maybe even a UWOL challenge.

Don't let stuff like this get you down, turn it around and use it.

I collect local stories about animal mistreatment that fuels my passion to create something beautiful and hopefully in the end, make a difference.

The latest was about a guy who was ticked at a farmer so he let all his pigs out of the pen and then proceeded to run them all over with his truck until they were all dead.

Things like that make me want to do things that would land me in prison for life. But, I use that to drive me to make something out of it and eventually make people aware.

My work is finally being followed by some people who can't wait for my next piece. Eventually, the message starts getting tied into the work. With awareness comes knowledge and power. Power has the ability to create change.

So, don't let this depress you, use it and let it empower you to create work that makes people aware.

There no doubt that nature can be cruel but it is a system that has worked for eons. The difference between man and beast is that animal predators prey on the old, the weak and the injured thus making their prey stronger in the end. While we seem to be obsessed with bagging the best and the biggest and taking away those genes from the gene pool.

Nothing wrong with giving up meat. I've taken small steps and have given up veal because of the way calves are treated. Someday as my work hopefully gets more popular, I can use that popularity to make a statement.

So, don't give up!
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the feed back and I'm glade you liked the melody. I also cannot eat veal and I'm happy to know I'm not alone about my feelings towards animal mistreatment. I was trying to get the attention of our local humain society with out luck. Maybe I did not try hard enough. But I will reserve my energy for the next challenge. When I read the latest story from PETA it really brought the idea of slaughter too close to home for me. I can't change things but perhapse becoming a vegitarian is something I can choose for myself. Some how I can't help but feel that what goes around comes around, and if there is such a thing a reincarnation, I hope I do not come back as a chicken or a cow!
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Trustee

*ker-plop!*

That's the sound of an Irishman landing in the shark tank.

No ideas, too busy at work, no spare time, plus getting ready for a long holiday in Australia... not a chance to get near this one, let alone committing time to meet with and work for a third party. I think even a "normal" UWOL would've been too much for me right now.

I still look forward to seeing the results, and (hopefully) UWOL XI, although I'll miss the first week of October due to travel and jetlag. I'll have to get to an Internet cafe for the sign up thread too.

By then I hope to have learned about color correction and improved my audio skills a bit. See you all next time!
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Major Player

I decided to get in early and beat the rush plus I thought it wise to mark off a wee bit of turf for myself to sit and watch as others make the plunge.

Not a tree to hug nor and animal to save in my neighbourhood unless of course I want to disagree with the majority in these parts and go way out on a thin limb and maybe find myself friendless.

A cool challenge for some I'm sure but not one I feel comfortable entering.

Good luck to everyone.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Just back from New Zealand and unfortunately, things didn't quite work out from a video perspective.
Work and family commitments just make this round impossible for me.
Good luck to everyone and see you in UWOL 11
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Trustee

splash!....
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Kerrrr-plop!

Been quite sick for the past 2 weeks, not able to take part in this one. Good luck to everyone!
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

And here I go... 3, 2, 1... Splash!

I'm in the tank. Had two initial sponsors, one replied back "sorry but not able to help you" Obviously they didn't understand I was offering help to them... The other I never heard anything from despite my chasing.

A third opportunity did raise it's head, a very tiny conservation project that is actually just down the road from me, but I spoke to the secretary, sounded promising, but the head went on holiday and no-one could help me out. Maybe when he gets back, obviously too darn late.

Like Oliver, I was going to create a film regardless, but seeing how these organisations have treated me, why should I?

So, in the tank for another month, just bobbing at the surface though.

Sorry folks

Russ
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

There are so many things I could say... but I won't. My presence here indicates my failure to succeed with this challenge. Good luck to those that are still going strong. See you next round.

Andrew
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #11
Inner Circle

SPLASH!!!
2 times in a row, not a good feeling.
I have to come back strong for the uwol 11.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Hey Trond
So sorry to see you in the tank...I know how much you enjoy this contest...
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi John,
You are right, the uwol challenge is a big part of my life.
Best part, all the new friends we get there, and all we learn,
and last but not least... how FUN we have.

Good luck to you, John!
The shark tank is about full now, and there is hardly room for anyone else, haha.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey Trond,
You may need to leave a little space for me! I may have something i can do, but it won't be until some time next week. I'm at the mercy of the people i have contacted for this round. Not sure if i will end up having the time in the end, but i guess if it were a normal round, i'd only be a few days away from the shark tank instead of a week & a half.
This sure is a tough one!!

Bryce
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:11 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hey Trond,
You may need to leave a little space for me!
Ok, I'll try to find a little room for you Bryce. But we will have to come back stronger next round. :)
Don't give up yet. Hopefully you find that "something" to make.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge