Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #136
Trustee

Well, I still haven't shot anything for my long form. BUT, something fell into my lap that is PERFECT for me.
So, I begged Meryem for a bit of an extension so I could get this one in the can.

I can incorporate some of the footage from the first round of my original idea into this one.

So, if I can get this interview in the next couple days I think I'll have a project that I can really get into.

Waiting to hear back to see if we're a go or not.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM   #137
Major Player

I just got back from my latest trip to the desert. It’s hot. The highest official high temperature while I was out there was 113ºF (45ºC) although I informally measured over that each day. The coolest it got was 84ºF (28.9ºC). Re-radiation from the rocks was intense. There’s nothing moving except at night. By 7:30 AM the heat shimmer is noticeable. I don’t think any of the footage I shot will be useable. If this heat wave doesn’t break soon I may have to rethink my project. I guess this may be my comeuppance for getting so much work done early this year while many of us were waiting for snow to melt! Think of Per Johan’s round two difficulties with the Capercaillie, only instead of sitting in the blind think of sitting in the oven…

Back home it’s a relatively cool 102º.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #138
Major Player

Mike,
Talk about extremes. I just got back from shooting in Alaska, where the winds were steady, the rain was constant, and I had to wear thermal underwear. Better than the heat, though.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #139
Inner Circle

Good morning,

Well, every place, season and situation offers challenges to be sure.

We have had cool temperatures wind as usual but actually some semi still days!!!

I have been getting some footage for part one of my long form, everything is about two to three weeks behind time frame wise.

I wil be asssembling footage the next two weeks, also have also have initial stages shooting in the next few weeks.

Here is a couple snap shots of our subject, code named "Chip"

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-dsc00488.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-chip-008.jpg  

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #140
Inner Circle

How you doing

I was wondering how you all are coming along with your features!! The end is not that far off!!!

Was previewing footage, important stuff, only to find a bug landed on my lens and I never noticed it concentrating on my subject!!! It stands out now!!! mzy hzve to use a bit of it anyway>

Know a way to take the bug out???
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #141
Major Player

That bugs me too.

Ouch Dale! I did a video about a birding contest that had interviews in a salt marsh and I had the same problem. Mosquitoes landed on the lens during the interviews and I didn’t detect it until I got home. In one case the background was static so I was able to deinterlace and export the clip as stills. In Photoshop I replaced the bug on each frame with background from the last clean frame and then re-imported as video. It worked pretty well. In another instance the background was a crowd of moving people. I found a shirt that was very similar to the one that the talent was wearing and shot a close-up of my own arm in that shirt and pretending to swat a mosquito. Once the bug landed on the lens I cut away to that shot and when I cut back it was gone. Ugly but it “worked”.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM   #142
Major Player

A question looking ahead to the end

As I recall, UWOL entries can be posted to sites that accept big files, for viewing, but the judging has always been done with the actual UWOL upload. Will that be the case with the Long Form? I can't imaging squeezing a 30-60 minute entry into 180 MB. The rules are a little unclear on this point.
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM   #143
Wrangler

We have not instituted a file size limit on the finished long-form pieces yet - at the time the rules were instituted, we had no idea how many players (and therefore how much bandwidth...) would be required, so it has been a little tough to anticipate. We probably won't make a final determination on this until we approach the final shake-out after the October round and have a few model compressions upon which to base the decision.

Hope this helps...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM   #144
Inner Circle

Here is a new one for me!!!

all my footage, irreplacable of course, from my spring shoot the audio and video are out of sinc!!!!!!

what would cause that??

always something!!!!!
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #145
Wrangler

People get ready!

Who's still playing? Can't wait to see how the long form marathon is taking shape...

Reminder that your deadline for round 3 footage is next week!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #146
Major Player

I finally figured it out

I may be the only stupid one out there, it's taken me three years to figure this out. In case anyone else has problems squeezing their movies into the UWOL file size, using a one-pass export instead of two-pass makes all the difference. It cuts the file size in half...duhhh.
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #147
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
Who's still playing?
Well, I´m still in. I´m finishing the entry today. But this round is just to "stay alive" for me!
I´ve been doing mostly a talking head piece, with some footage from earlier uwol, just to keep interest for what I´m talking about!

This summer has been too hectic both for me and Ole Arne. He has been traveling much in his day time work, so we actually haven´t meet for a couple of months now!

So I believe that it´s going to be much hard work during this fall, to get a piece finished in the end. But as we all say, when it´s getting hot - first of all have fun (Rule #11) :-)
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #148
Trustee

Well, i will certainly try to get something put together for this round, however, like Per Johan, it will be a "stay alive" submission. I have been really busy with my day job lately, & have been living away for work. That has meant i haven't been out filming at all in the last couple of months & haven't had a chance to edit anything, so i am running a bit behind where i would have liked to have been at this point in time. I still need some particular footage to make my end film work the way i would like, so hopefully i can get that footage, if not, i'm not sure how it will all work out. I do have an interview set up with a government biologist, so hopefully i will nail that, & that will add a lot to my story.
Good luck to everyone still in the game.
Bryce
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #149
Trustee

Hi Meryem.
I am still in the LF.
Like the others I'm struggling a bit to get something finished for this 3rd round.
Also my exams keep me busy :(
Still, I will try to mix something together, just so I can keep my head over water :)
I have seen your ULF 3 video Steve at EXroom and it was great. I think our films a very much alike, so I have to try to make mine a bit different :)
I am also planning an interview with the leader (prrsident) of Birdlife Norway (The Norwegian Ornithological Society).

Geir Inge
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #150
Major Player

Meryem- To keep with the new “theme”, I’m still in but I’m also having more troubles with this round. It’s mostly because I left the editing so late. I was under the weather a few days and I find that when I’m ill I make very poor editing choices. I’ll have something done but it won’t be as polished as I had hoped. The desert has been very hot but they’re not experiencing the drought we are here at home, so- I’m scheduled to be off for the field again next week with a very long shot list. Fingers crossed.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge