Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:15 AM   #16
Trustee

This sounds great Chris. Your certainly going to take us back for some natural history with those stromatalites fossils....can't go back much further than that :-) - I certainly liked reading your little pitch above and can't wait to see how this evolves! Great stuff
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Hey Chris - sounds really interesting. Quite an ambitious plan to accomplish all that!

As for your Feb submission - perhaps you could submit 3 minutes of maps, showing routes, topography etc or showing us close-ups of the different areas where your movie will be taking place. Who knows - maybe you will be able to use them and even if you don't use them in your final movie, at least we will be the wiser for the intro.

Geir thanks for the link to the storyboard program. I usually use mind-maps for all my planning but as I am working with my son Gary this round I have come to realize that a storyboard is essential as well. I really like the idea of being able to play the storyboard like a movie!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi everyone:

Looks like ideas are brewing. Chris, I too have a National Park in my backyard... Rocky Mountain National Park. So I think I'm going to be mucking around there for this challenge. I'm still background reading and have not formulated an angle.

At first I was interested in the Buffalo and wanted to follow a theme that highlighted this animal through the eyes of our Native American Indians ... but I got a bit overwhelmed by the thought of producing enough film material to do the subject justice.

All the best to your project efforts,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Chris- What a great project. I like that you’re using pan-and -scan. Videomaker has two articles about it in this issue. Have you thought about trying the 2 ½ D effect? Here is a tutorial that I found very helpful. It’s for After Effects, but even if you don’t use that software all the free tutorials on this site are great.

VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I hope (and on some level have little niggling worries) that I may be biting off a lot on this one. Succeed or fail it will strengthen my skills and take me somewhere I love to be.

Marj I think I may put togther a little overview... almost like a trailer... for the Feb submission.It is going to be tight timewise to do so, and who knows, maybe that will be my first failing - I certainly hope not.

Mike thanks for the link.... I'll say one thing for HDV... it makes a software consumer out of you! Great tutorials though.... as for 3D... well we'll see how my time goes, I can already see some places it might be a really cool effect.... however, crawl before walk, walk before run...

Chris

ps. Cat I would be happy to host you to visit the Moise National Bison Range near my family home in Montana this summer if you stick with the Bison story idea.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

This is my first post for the long form and I am looking forward to it. I have entered the short form a couple of times and have never finished because of work.

But this one has really got me moving.

I depart in a few days to shoot Trumpter Swan, on the ice flows of a river north of my home, which is a part of this Doc. If I am successful I will post some clips next week.

I wish you all good luck, and if I can assist any of you please let me know.

Have a great day.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blumberg View Post

I wish you all good luck, and if I can assist any of you please let me know.

This is a nice sentiment, Mike...I think it will be the key to the success of these projects, helping each other out in every way that we can.

It's great to see all the momentum for these projects already forming.

Also, keep in mind that whatever you post in February doesn't necessary have to make it in the final project, with that in mind, a trailer is a great idea for anyone struggling with the February deadline. It can help you with formulating and get you out there shooting.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi guys.

Well my strongest concept so far is something very 'close to home' for all of us. I would like any opinions/critiques on it before I decide it is the way I go.

'Gardens' and there ever increasing importance to wildlife. Because of the way many overly 'preened' gardens are these days. Without the compost heaps, rotting logs and mixed beds of plants, weeds and wild flowers of even 20 years ago many once common wildlife species are suffering. The cumulative habitat of a row of 20-30 gardens can form important areas for wildlife and for the humans who share them to meet that wildlife and introduce it to there children. So my idea is to get this message across and try to educate people to consider their gardens in this way and not sterilise them into minimalist, lifeless outdoor rooms.

So......???
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM   #24
Major Player

I like it Mat. I think you have an interesting program and a timely message. Sounds like it might lend itself to a lot of macro work and close-ups of smaller organisms. Lots of folks notice when the hares and hedgehogs are gone. Precious few even consider things like slugs, millipedes and voles as wildlife, much less worry about extirpating them.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #25
Major Player

The guiding theme for my project will be the 19th Century. For a long time, I thought that the days of seeing large numbers of birds, like the flight of billions of Passenger Pigeons, were gone. In studying to prove the point I realized that it wasn't true. You can still see these things (well not billions, but certainly thousands). I will film at a couple of likely locations, and also do something with Audubon, and the market hunters of the decades after the Civil War. Should be fun.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM   #26
Major Player

Mat... an interesting theme. In a way more so because when I think of the "perfect" manicured garden, I think of English gardens. I'll be very interested to know what you come up with as you move forward.

Steve.. while I am perfectly happy to live in the age I do and enjoy many of its comforts, such as the one we communicate on right now, I often wish I could take a trip back 100 or so years and see the world of nature as it was then. Yours shouldin some ways embody my idea of my fantasy time travel trip, on film. I'm anxious to see how your project matures.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #27
Trustee

Ok, yesterday I had my first trip doing some research into the fjords.
Nice weather and I did manage to get a few cutaways.
Now, suddenly, I'm not sure how to make this Long Form video.
Do I make a video based on one or maybe a few creatures in a local area, or shall I make a video from the whole area, Sunnmore? The last idea is for sure not easy, but I'm very tempted :) We'll see.
OK, here's some shots from yesterdays shooting.
It's from one our fjords, "Hjorundfjorden" and the big mountain is called, "Slogen".
Some mallards relaxing on the fjord.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-fjord1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-mallard-fjord.jpg  

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-mallard1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-slogen1.jpg  

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #28
Major Player

Hi Geir

I have the same problem - deciding on the scale of the area to be covered. I've decided to go for the smaller practical area - some lakes that are part of a nature reserve - and follow the annual cycle of whatever goes on there. If I can do that, I'll be happy. Covering the whole nature reserve would be a full time job. Those guys that have a story from the point of view of one species - they must have a lot more time available than I have.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #29
Trustee

Geir - My advice is don't consider one species or one area but do some digging for a interesting local story and see what characters you can then use to tell that story. Thinking this way will give you a lot more milage, create a better story and probably take you in a direction you'd never thought of ! :-)
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Geir - My advice is don't consider one species or one area but do some digging for a interesting local story and see what characters you can then use to tell that story. Thinking this way will give you a lot more milage, create a better story and probably take you in a direction you'd never thought of ! :-)
That's a good advice Mat.
My main challenge for this Uwol LF is in fact, to get myself enough time :)
As I'm working 80%, family to take care of and studying part time, I really don't have any time left to spend on Uwol, but I just have to :)
I also keep an eye on our dear friend, Kevin (lucky chap) who's in Africa for the moment.
Just looked at his first photo from Africa (facebook).
Just wish I was... :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge