Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #106
Inner Circle

I have been trying to down load off two different computers for two days!! I can not get it done the normal fashion. It always stops just before finishing!!

I knocked it down to 50 megabytes.

??????
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM   #107
Inner Circle

Ok,

Yes i got it uploaded. All is well in the universe.

Thanks for all the work you gentlemen do to keep this up and running.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #108
Regular Crew

Hey I hope it is okay i have put my footage up here.

braiiins.com/UWOL

I am still struggling with the uploader and thought it best to have a back up already somewhere so i don't miss the deadline!

cheers

Jennie
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #109
Trustee

O.K. I'm getting a little bit pissed off!

I have my long form storyboard completely worked out and know just what I need to do (lots!). But this is the kind of entry that you go for everything right? So I have exactly the music scores I want to use. I've got them stuck in my head and I don't even want to think about using something else. These pieces are classical pieces for heavens sake, where the composers haven't been around for a century!

So I am attempting to get permission to use these scores and I keep falling into a black hole! What a run around! No one responds. I'm caught up in an e-mail/phone message nightmare.

This is a not for profit entry... why is it this hard? Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know what I can do about this? I'd like to use selections from Handel, Tchaikousky and Copland...

Meryem, do you know how to deal with this?

Comments welcome!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #110
Wrangler

try this guy's site...

Royalty Free Classical Music. Probably the largest collection of Classical Music Downloads online.

the issue with classical is that the copyright for a specific performance is still held by the performing artist(s), so you need to find recording artists that are willing to pre-license the performance itself.

this site has a pretty good selection. i am sure that there are others....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #111
Major Player

Thank you Meryem, this is a great resource. I've been hovering around the 'everything audio' portion of dvinfo.net this morning and found some good hints. The site you recommend is full orchestra. The CD's look like a great deal.

PS - got any leads on Rock Music?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #112
Major Player

OK Cat,
You started this, and since it is one of my pet peeves, I'm going to go out on a limb and take it one more step. (Please don't think I actually do this.)

Tchaikovsky, et al have been dead along time. No problem with rights. Unless you can find a performance from the 1930s, the performance is copyright. However there are hundreds of recorded performances of any popular classical piece. Some are from obscure orchestras in Eastern Europe, some are Chinese. In order for anyone to take you to task for using their performance, they would have to be able to recognise it as their own first.
this is hugely unlikely for several reasons. 1. Not many folks follow this venue. 2. If you only use a short portion of the performance, recognisably unique passages may not even be included. 3. The older the performance, the less likely that any subliminal identification material has been added. 4. If you alter the tempo or pitch, it is even less likely to be recognised.
I tend to use purchased material from Music Bakery, or Kevin McLeod or the Royalty free Classics, but boy, I sure think a lot about just going to my old record collection, especially for productions that are not going to be for sale. Who would say no?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #113
Wrangler

it's not a question of whether you can get away with copyright violations, of course it is likely that you can. there are several ways in which you can cheat this contest and get away with it...but what is the fun in that? as i say tirelessly, you can always make your own movies according to your own rules, and then no one can tell you how to do it. UWOL exists to help you learn best practices, make friends, make pretty movies, and have fun.

but let's be clear that copyright violations are legal violations, and the integrity and legality of the contest (and DVinfo) are what is jeopardized when you break the rules, not just the integrity of your individual piece.

we don't want to spoil the fun for each other, folks, the rules are what they are for good reasons.

there's good music out there that is not that expensive...try sounddogs.com, q-music.co.uk, smartsound -- there's tons out there...

make your own loops, that's loads of fun, though it takes time. or ask local bands for written permission to use their music - many of them will love the exposure...

Imovie has a stack of free tracks included in it.

archive.org has a lot of music posted under the very liberal (free with credits) creative commons license.

as for rock music -- that covers such a wide range, I would not know where to start. I can usually find something to fit the mood in my q-music library -- it cost me something like $350 for hundreds of tracks -- unless i am looking for something very specific.

and i just used something generously donated by DVinfo's own Peter John Ross (Sonnyboo.com, loves America and wants to have a Zima with George Bush) - he has posted 20 free free free tracks for filmmakers...all he asks for is a mention in the credits.

doesn't UWOL player Oliver Pahlow also have donated piano tracks on his site?

lots of resources, lots of freebies. use 'em....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #114
Trustee

Round 2

Well, how's it going folks?
Ready for round 2 I guess?
I had plans to film the Grey Heron as it breed in a little forrest near by.
They always make a hell of a noice each springtime when they mate.
I have tried to capture their flight, as they all in one row take off from the treetops and fly down to the sea. It's a wonderful sight with a snow covered mountain in the background.
This "flight movement" is going on for just one day, maybe two days, each spring and #%#"§&%¤#" (a norwegian word I wont say in English) if I can get it on tape.
Well, today was their day-of-flight-in-flock-down-to-the-sea, and of course I failed again, hehe. Maybe I get a second chance tomorrow, or I'll have to wait until next year.
This is what I like and dislike about wildlife film making. You never can tell what happens :) Both exiting and frustrating at the same time, eh?
Anyone else having kind of trouble with their plans?

Geir Inge
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #115
Trustee

Thanks Meryem for the tips. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

And thanks Steve for the insights... but after Meryem's whoopin, I'll stick to the tried and true first ;).

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #116
Major Player

Cat,
Do you mean whoopin' or whoppin'. I haven't been able to sit down for hours.
(Those were some mightly fine suggestions, however, Meryem).

Steve
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #117
Major Player

I just got back from two shooting trips. First to East Texas for an unrelated project (I’ll show some footage later). Then home for less than a day before off to West Texas to shoot for the long form. I did pretty well, several interesting things including Spotted Owls. There was one exciting bit. Several years ago I was shooting Lucifer’s Hummingbirds feeding at a century plant flower spike for John Vanderpoel’s (Peregrine Productions) Hummingbirds of North America DVD. The birds were coming in every 10-15 minutes for only a few seconds. I had been standing in a rocky draw for several hours mostly just waiting. I had been there with my eye to the viewfinder for several minutes anticipating another visit when I heard a terrific clatter. I looked up in time to see a Jackrabbit go tearing up the draw. It ran between the legs of my tripod and continued up canyon to my right. I started to turn to follow it when I caught a movement in my left eye and turned to see a mountain lion standing less than ten feet away. The wind was blowing toward me and until I moved my head she didn’t know I was there. She just looked at me for a moment and then slowly turned and walked back down canyon. I had a 500mm lens on and didn’t have even a chance at a shot. Since that time I’ve made it a point to revisit that canyon every time I’m near. I’ve seen signs- spoor and tracks- but no cat. On this trip I saw a spring running that I had never seen with water so I set the blind to see what might be coming in. After only about two hours I managed to get a few seconds of a cat approaching. The wind wasn’t with me this time and it quickly detected me. I foolishly hadn’t brought any cover scent (that might be a good subject for a UWOL thread). I’m hoping to get back in about a week and try to do it right. Anyway, 10 seconds is way better than naught! I hope everyone is having great good-luck, and that I haven’t now used all mine up!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #118
Inner Circle

Mike,

Getting any big cat footage in North america is fantastic!!!! I hope you get some more, I love seeing big cats!!

Nice when effort actually pays off!!!
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #119
Trustee

Wow Mike,
That must have been fantastic! Great that you got some footage of the cat. I'd love to see it. Good luck on your return trip there, i hope you get some more footage. I am curious about the cover scent you talked about, & would love to hear more about it. Might have to google it to find out what it is & how it works! I too am hoping to get some cougar footage for my film, but to be honest, i think that will be even harder than getting footage of the mountain caribou.
Bryce
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #120
Trustee

Well, rumour says that the puffin has landed at Runde island.
I'm on my way with charged batteries, enough tapes, my brand new outdoor jacket and in my heart I'm carrying rule nr 11 :)
If I find the puffins this evening, I'll post a picture of it in my feedback tread later on.

CU
Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge