Rob Evans - Cliveden - Longform - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #16
Trustee

Hey Rob

Solid video work fella. Very nicely controlled and lots of variation in the delivery. I like seasonal change stills look great and the use of the 'dolly rail thingy be bob' provides a lovely feel. (is this one motorised)?

I really missed some form of either verbal or written narration with this one. I thought this video diary feel was great in your first instalment. Because of this, I have the feeling your premise and planning has still not developed from the first round !!? I guess I'm struggling to see how even great video like this is going to hold a viewer for 20mins+ without some more meat to chew on. I know your a good film maker and story teller so I also know you've probably got more ideas to develop or something in your back pocket you're not telling us about. So I guess I'd just like to know more about your plans for the piece overall ?.......come on ;-) !!?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Rob,

All really solid beautiful imagery some great compositions. I liked the variety of presentations and also including the people in the shots, gives it more character.

I can appreciate you are not ready to put the audio in it, but some audio would make it fuller for us t view even if you alter it later.

Great job,

Oh yea, the rubber band One of the great all time inventions!!
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Cat, give the timelapse thing a try, using landmarks like tree's / fenceposts or similar. Next time round i will download the vid onto a ipod so I can view onsite ;-) And a little photo attached - taken a few weeks ago!!

Mat, yes there is definatley more behind the scenes here, a lot of it depends on how helpful the NT will be - I've asked if I can film and interview some the people involved in conservation, forestry and ecology onsite. I have been doing a lot of research online into the history of the estate, and it's really interesting to see what the NT are doing to restore some of the original vistas and landscapes (mostly eradicating the dreaded rhododendrons it would seem )
Quite a lot of the problem just fitting it in around the day job really! But rest assured, there's more meat waiting to go into the oven... The glidetrack is actually just manual, so a little bit of practice is required, but it does work really well!

Dale, it's interesting you mention sound - it's proving to be one of the big challenges! You see, Cliveden lies directly under the westerly flightpath of Heathrow airport, which happens to be pretty darn busy and noisy, specially with them great big Airbuses now. In a way, I still kinda miss the roar of Concorde at 11am each day.... So for 90% of the time i'm getting unusable sound. I think I may have to find a nice quiet wood somewhere else for the sound. Is that cheating? ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Rob Evans - Cliveden - Longform-lourobarran.jpg  
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #19
Trustee

Loved it Rob!
You have some really stunning shots with beautiful movement. Can't wait to "hear" more in your film, but understand, as i am in the same position myself with some, but not all the material i need. Funny that you have done the "time lapse" kind of shot between the seasons. I too am doing the same in my film, only i'm still waiting for some of the snow to melt before i can do another pan. I will then go back & do it again when all the snow has gone, & am hoping to do it yet again in the Autumn, & hopefully get a full year round timelapse sort of affect.
Maybe by next round you will have more to share with us on the story. Looking forward to that!
Regards,
Bryce.
P.S. Great shot of the family!!!
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #20
Major Player

Rob - beautiful shots. You have a good sense of shot timing too. I am a huge fan of the moving camera and you used it judiciously. I spotted it right away, and liked it.

Your images have been very nice and I liked the time lapse, be curious to see how you weave that in. You seem to be at an opposite spot than me...able to get images, but working on story. I have story, but no images <g> I'm interested in how you will tell your story and will look forward to that. Nice job!

Chris Swanberg

ps. Great family pic. Made me laugh and smile. Thanks for the post.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Trustee

Rob, amazing shoots you got there! And what a beautiful place Cliveden is!

Second what have been said about your piece. Dolly and jib shoots was very well done! I also liked the footage with small DOF beginning at 0:27 more of that please. Was it 35mm adapter?

I'm looking forward to more in next round!
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #22
Major Player

Well I have a bit more structure now. I went and met with the heads of property and forestry up at cliveden yesterday, and they're really up for supporting the film - talking to them I've also finalised a lot of the subjects I'm going to cover, such as conservation, species and habitat management -there's such a lot to cover!!! Now the hard work really starts ;-)
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Rob.
Sorry I'm late to respond to your feedback tread.
You paint a beautiful scenary/landscape at your Cliveden.
Can't wait to see the final version, maybe with narrations?

All the best
Geir Inge
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi All!
Firstly, apologies for getting this up a day late. I ran into a few difficulties
exporting properly last night and decided to sleep instead :-)

Here's the latest update http://www.vimeo.com/6099809

Well, I really feel things have moved on in leaps and bounds since june. I had a meeting with the National Trust, and they were very interested to see what I had been doing. It turns out that one of the guys in the meeting, John, had seen the videos of spring @ Cliveden that I have been making over the last few years, so i had a good backdrop to start on.
The outcome of the meeting was that they were happy to give me all the support and access that i need to get the film made. They are actually looking to place more focus on the woodland areas of cliveden, and the themes of the film will go well with inspiring more people to spend more time not just around the house and formal gardens, but getting out and exploring the"wilder" side that Cliveden has to offer. To this end they actually want to show the finished piece alongside a documentary about the history of cliveden in a A/V suite onsite :-) the pressure really is on now !!! I'm actually thrilled about this prospect as it opens it up to being seen by tens of thousands of people pretty much all year round.

So the theme has moved away from the seasonal thing (although that is still a part) and more to focusing on issues and ventures, highlighted by stories. Still got a lot more work and ideas to build up here, but it is coming together slowly.

Anyway, I've managed to trim the film down to 10 minutes or so to do the recent work justice. I recently acquired a xlh1, and have been getting some great macro results, particularly using the EF adapter with a sigma F4 100-300mm zoom - great piece of kit.

What I feel is that I'm learning so much, not just by talking to people and getting involved, but by just sitting back and watching.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by Rob Evans; August 14th, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #25
Trustee

Hi Rob!

I haven't gotten to any films yet, but I'll get back here soon! I just wanted to say that your baby is ADORABLE!

How awesome is that!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #26
Trustee

Leaps and bounds indeed fella, leaps and bounds indeed! Your new found friends and story direction and new willdife spins offs looks like it will form a solid piece! - Loved the blue sequence, I've seen a few this year but as yet no footage and to see what you saw....well jealousy is upon me! Orchard story seems fun and has some meat to chew on and I like the plan to bring some 3d to the party.

I found some of the macro stuff a bit soft. Couldnt really make out whether this was focussing/compression or lens issue. That said nothing that would really cause any viewing issues in your piece.

I think you'll turn this into something very special.

Great stuff.
Mat

Last edited by Mat Thompson; August 14th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Major Player

Hi Rob
Looks like your story is beginning to take shape really nicely and congratulations - you must really be spurred on knowing that your final film will be put to very good use!!

What fantastic shots once again. Love your macro work this round - beautiful. I am amazed at the variety and number of moths you were able to attract. Really special footage of the Blues mating too. Well done Rob - look forward to the final outcome of this one.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi Rob,
Exciting news that the video will be shown on site! Looks like you’ve been using the new camera to very good effect. Were the moth shots lit only by the trap or are you using a video light as well? I liked all of the close up and macro work- especially the berry shot (blackberry?). Don’t forget a CU of the snail! I think the new focus will make the story even more interesting. Good-luck with the next round of shooting!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #29
Major Player

Rob,

the film and project are very interesting. You have many good shots and fine editing.
I will not be surprised if you end up with one of the best long form videos.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #30
Trustee

Hi Rob:

Great stuff. I'll hold off with the comments until the next round when your project will be more coherent and closer to a final piece. In the meantime, masterful filming as always!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge