Faale - Straholmen - UWOL long form - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks a lot for all comments.

Annie:
Mølen is a place where it is possible to take good wave shots. If, after a while with gale against the shore, the wind turns off-shore, then it is safe film weather. That means no risk for salty spray on the lenses, and it is still possible to watch the spray from the wave crests.

Jef:
I am happy to read that you are a sailor. Maybe you can show up some sailing scenes some day.
After showing summer, flowers and birds i thought it would be fine with a dramatic contrast. I hope this wreck story will work.

Mike:
I will be visiting Stråholmen during the migration season. Parts of the island is bird reserve. This area is not legal for humans in the first part of the summer. Hopefully the migrating birds prefer the inner part of the island.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Finn-Eric
You have certainly captured the feel of the rough sea and relentless pounding waves - small wonder a sailing ship would flounder on those waters. Some very nice footage so far.

I think the way you have included photographs with live footage is very creative. My personal preference regarding the handling of the first photograph would be to see the photograph of the sail boat followed immediately by the boat on the horizon (leaving out the zoom in between).

Sounds like an interesting story you have to tell and I look forward to seeing more.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Stråholmen #2

I have made some clips from the winter around Stråholmen.

I have also some shots from the first sailing trip to Stråholmen in April.

It shows the old houses and the cultural landscape maintained by wild sheep.
Actually, Stråholmen is from current year a cultural preservation area.

When the domestic animals disappeared from the island, the pastures were reclaimed by nature.
Trees and bushes popped up and were embraced by climbing plants.
The area has been cleared and grazing sheep prevents the return of the wilderness.

Link to the film:

Stråholmen 2
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #19
Major Player

Soem gorgeous images there. I kind of saw the boat coming towards the skiff of ice as spring coming to break-up winter.... did you plan that?

It is only the 2nd submission, and the footage was lovely. I will be interested ins eeing your story told through your brethtakingly beautiful images.

I will be anxious to see your next submission.

Thanks for the inspiration Finn-Erik!

Chris

ps. What IS it about your Norweigans?
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Finn-Erick,

I thought you had some lovely shots in this film and I am looking forward to how it will unfold in you final piece. I know it is only the second submission, but will you have any narration? I think it will benefit.

I loved the snow scenes at the beginning and the oystercatcher at 4:57 was beautiful. My only criticism is that it was framed a little too centrally.

Keep up the good work.
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks, Chris. You are too kind to my footage.
The ice braking boat was not planned.
In strong winters is it possible to walk to Stråholmen on the ice. When I considered reaching Stråholmen on foot, a man was missing in the area.
He had gone through the ice....
Then my winter scenes had to be taken from the mainland.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik

Beautiful footage you have there. I am a little lost as to how it contributes to your main story and some sort of rough narration would have helped with context I feel. I also found that while very pretty some of the video lacked dynamic and had more of a photographic feel to them.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your film.
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #23
Trustee

Hello Finn-Erik:

Lovely. You have a way of letting the footage speak for itself. How beautiful and so very different your land and seascapes are from our dry and rugged terrain here in Lyons. I thoroughly enjoyed the capturing of the newborns in the spring.

Judging from your theme layout you described in the beginning of this thread, this footage is depicting a small subset of what you will eventually be doing, so I will not make comments about that at this stage of the game.

Just a detail, but perhaps a long transitional fade between the snows of winter to the greens of spring would add some drama to this beautiful and pastoral film.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #24
Trustee

Finn-Erik, I just saw that my reply did not get posted. So again. beautiful footage, It reinforces my determination to visit your beautiful country. I especially liked the transition from the harbor to the peaceful houses, and the shots of the birds were great. It looks like such a wonderful place to live. I am really anxious to see more small boats in the harbor, I bet you have some great old wooden boats there. A great start, but am a little confused on how you are going to tie in the sailing aspect. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #25
Trustee

Finn-Erik, nice to watch "your part of Norway". You have some fine sequences there, maybe some rough cuts from time to time, but I think this will improve when you cut the final masterpiece.
Good work, looking forward to next round.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM   #26
Major Player

Finn-Erik,
Very nice footage. I like the way the way you frame your shots. The composition is very satisfying to watch, and your follow of the flying birds is good. Could you maybe get a little closer? Your audio features some intruguing bird song. I recognized one, about halfway through as an Oystercatcher. It would have been good to put your Oystercatcher footage right after that call, using it as an introduction. Good luck on part 3.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #27
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik,
Well you have some really nice footage for your project! Firstly i have to make comment on your guitar playing, it was absolutely beautiful & went very well with your footage. Like Matt, i'm not sure how this all fits in with your story as there was no narration telling what was going on, but i'm sure like me you have still got all the narration to do & in the end things will all come together & will make sense. On that note though, the footage you showed in this piece, seemed to be a little bit confusing because you were cutting from one thing to another then back again. This may well work with narration where you are drawing a comparison of the two subjects, or showing how they interact or effect one another, but if not, then i would perhaps try to make each one a sequence on its own, then move on to the next. The footage you have shown us so far looks very impressive & i'm sure everything will come together in the end & i really look forward to watching your next part.
Regards,
Bryce
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #28
Major Player

Such a peaceful place and so very beautiful I can see myself strolling along a dirt road with the sheep baying in the background and hearing the boats on the water. I think that you footage is rich, full of interesting structures and animals. My favorite part of the film was listening to your guitar during the scenic shots then the change to the sounds of the country side as you switched to he farms and cottages.

Nice job looking forward to seeing the final piece.
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #29
Major Player

Thanks a lot to you all for nice and constructive comments. I will have them in mind for the next part. Actually I was short of time. My boat was not ready before late April. One day, we stowed the boat with photo optics and equipments and headed for Stråholmen. After two hours out of the fjord, I recognised that the video camera was left at home. We resigned and made a new attempt another day.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM   #30
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik.
Some great footage you have in your ULF2.
Love the sheep :)
My Uwol5 film was about "The Viking Sheep".
Looking forward to see your next contribution.

Best of luck.
Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge