UWOL Long form - Land of Bright Water - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Annie,
I’m glad you’ve chosen Bosherton Lily Ponds. I have friends who’ve birded there and have seen lots of photos. What a great place. They told me that before the valley was flooded with fresh water that part of it used to be an inlet from the sea and one of Arthur’s knights is supposed to have hidden treasure there. Birders arriving before daylight are supposed to see a ghost in medieval armor. I don’t guess you could get an interview? Your shots are lovely and I can’t wait to see some from this spring. Are the lilies native? Was that the Robin feeding from the hand? I hope y’all are settled in home again. I’ve just decided that I probably shan’t live long enough to be fully unpacked…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:16 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Mike

Glad to hear the fame of Bosherston has spread so far around the world! Bosherston comprises three valleys (Arms) that were tidal until about 200 years ago. One by one they were dammed and became freshwater lakes. Most of the video was shot on the Eastern Arm, which is fed by streams. After heavy rain it turns red with silt off the farmland, and is also nutrient enriched because of farm fertilisers etc. The other arms are spring-fed, have clear calcified water (this is a limestone area) and have developed a flora community that is considered special. Those other arms are also where the lilies grow. The lilies were thought to have been introduced about a hundred years ago via a pond in the vicar's garden - Bosherston Church is at the top end of the Western Arm.

There are many legends based around the lakes - it being the site of King Arthur's sword being one of them. I hadn't heard about the ghost - perhaps because I've only been there before dawn looking for otters rather than birds.

Yes, the robin was feeding from the hand. He was one of four at that point, and they were too busy trying to be territorial and claim the hand for themselves when I wanted just one of them to land on the hand.

We've been in this house 14 years, and were never fully unpacked - hopefully when the floor tiles go down next week and the kitchen is fitted the week after, we'll have space to finish unpacking!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your comments. At the moment I'm not trying to be too ambitious with the storyline. If I can complete the cycle of filming something there each month, that will be an achievement. If I can work in a complementary storyline, that will be a bonus. Time is the main limiting factor.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #19
Major Player

So maybe there is some basis for the tale? When told to me I thought it was just a local wag having the cowboys on.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #20
Major Player

Your friends were probably talking to "Aunty Vi" who owns the Olde Worlde Cafe in Bosherston Village. She is full of tales, some true, some mostly true, and some whose truth has been lost in the mists of time. She is a legend in her own lifetime, and it's been a pretty long and interesting life so far.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Major Player

Annie...

What a beautiful and natural place you have to film there. Your images are gorgeous. I am anxious to se what you weave out of so much natural beauty into your final piece.

The small birds are precious... but a little quick... have you tried slowing them down in post so old eyes like mine can better appreciate them?

You have inspired me, along with Dale, Steve, Mike, and a few others to try and get more birds into my piece about Glacier. You set the bar high !

Chris

ps.We have merganzers in Montana on Flathead Lake.... and I laughed out loud seeing yours on the ice. HOW funny !
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #22
Major Player

Chris
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you liked it.

I hadn't thought about the small birds being too quick. I try to get clips of several seconds at least of a bird perched, and I thinks those ones are probably ok. It's the robin taking food from the hand that is the problem. I guess most UK and probably northern European people would recognise it easily. So I'm changing that bit of the sequence so there is the robin on the ground first, then the one flying to the hand, followed by a portion of that one again but at half speed. I have a few other changes I want to make, including correcting the titles (I've corrected them in the version uploaded to UWOL) and improving the soundtrack.

Strangely, I hadn't realised that I'd labelled the merganser as such. Here is Britain it's actually called a goosander, and it's close relative is the red-breasted merganser. I'll have to amend that when I eventually upload the new version.

Thanks for you suggestion
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Annie

You have some nice shots in your 1st stage pass. Much of it does feel very static though. Think about pans, reveals and levels of detail. This will add a lot more dynamic to your work.

You say "At the moment I haven't got a story-line going, it really depends on what I'm able to film."

I really think this is the wrong way round. Story first...subject second! Try and formulate a story, find a unique angle to your year long study of the area, which in itself is always a nice thing to view. However without some more meat to it or another angle. A search for a rare or rarely seen species maybe, or how winter/summer species that use the area differ in behaviour. Basically a second layer to your overall premise and something that you hold back to keep people watching!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #24
Major Player

Ah Matt - you sound like someone who has time to go for the ideal!

At the moment, it's a struggle finding time to get the camera out, never mind actually going somewhere to use it. I've made an effort to try out the Sony HVR MRC1 recorder by taking extended coffee breaks and filming birds in the garden - through the open kitchen window. Last night I edited it roughly (actually spend most of the time waiting for the computer to do automatic saves), and left it uploading to vimeo. This morning the process had ground to a halt with the upload not completed. Goodness knows when I'll get around to trying it again - my computer just doesn't seem up to the job of video-editing.

Yes, I agree that pans, reveals, etc are needed. I did do some pans in the initial shooting, but wasn't satisfied with the results so didn't include any in the video. Same with some attempts at push-pull focussing. Close-ups will be included - I now have some close-ups of a heron's head and some fungi on fallen trees around the edge of the lake.

I'm giving some thought to an additional angle, but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi Annie. It’s nice that you have finally managed to get an opportunity to participate here. Lovely footage so far - especially liked the scenes with reflections. I really felt for that poor goosander with his uncooperative feet!
When I read through this post I thought you had some really interesting info on the Bosherton pond area - Why not start your story there?
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge