DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL Long form - Land of Bright Water (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/144088-uwol-long-form-land-bright-water.html)

Annie Haycock February 18th, 2009 04:46 PM

UWOL Long form - Land of Bright Water

ok, it's the 18th, not quite midnight, and I haven't a hope of getting anything uploaded. We've just moved back into our renovated and extended house, have no indoor plumbing except to the toilet, and my computer keeps crashing.

But I seem to remember the rules said you didn't actually have to post any video for the first deadline (an error message flashed up while was writing that sentence) but at least put the ideas forward. So here is what I am doing.

I want to follow a year of wildlife at Bosherston Lily Ponds, about 15 miles from where I live. The aim is to produce a 4-5 minute cameo for each month of the year. At the moment I haven't got a story-line going, it really depends on what I'm able to film. I'd like to say I'm following the swans as they are there year round, but I didn't manage to get anything of the swans with either ice or snow in Janaury or February. So it might have to be the robins, which aren't actually water birds.

I did manage to get some filming done at the end of December, so I have an "ending" of birds (jackdaws - not water birds) going to roost in the trees by lakes. (error report cropping up again, so I'm going to post this and then edit it rather than risk losing it all). I also have a potential opening sequence of mist over the lakes at dawn. I have some clips of various ducks, coots, herons, and a grey squirrel. Some species will be there year round, so I'll try to get them into every month, (error report again - doesn't help the concentration at all) while others occur more seasonally. There may also be the opportunity for otters, foxes, badgers and other mammals, as well as dragonflies etc in the summer.

This doesn't sound nearly as ambitious as the other entries, but a challenge should be to do something new, not necessarily to stretch totally beyond reach. This is something I have had hopes of doing through still photography over the years, but have never found enough time for more than the odd day shooting now and again. So far the days for shooting this year have not been as forthcoming as I would have liked, but I have made a start.

I will endeavour to get something up on Vimeo next week - but time and computers (not to forget the plumber who has been holding up work on the house) have been conspiring against me getting the first clips together. However, now that I have the Sony HVR MRC1K attached to my Canon A1, things should get easier at least for downloading clips into the computer!

Meryem Ersoz February 18th, 2009 10:38 PM

Hi Annie: You'll want to have another look at Rule #7

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/uwol-chal...est-rules.html

Annie Haycock February 19th, 2009 10:00 AM

Apologies for not remembering correctly - just too much stress and not enough time at the moment. Have read the rules again, and expect to be able to submit in a few days - before the new deadline.

Thanks

Meryem Ersoz February 19th, 2009 10:17 AM

Hi Annie: I hope that I didn't give the perception that I was picking on you. I read your thread first, responded, and then realized that there were several others who needed to hear the same thing, which resulted in the separate thread posting. Just to clarify what happened, since I only mentioned it here, but it's what sparked me to address the group.

Looking forward to seeing some shots.

Annie Haycock February 19th, 2009 10:32 AM

Meryem - I wasn't feeling picked-on. I had obviously misread/misinterpreted something which needed to be corrected, and if that was of benefit to others too, then so much the better. The new deadline is much appreciated. Hopefully by then my husband will be back at work and out from under my feet (I just had to clean the vaccuum cleaner because he said it was useless when actually it was just full of dust), we will have running water inside the house, some proper heating and cooking facilities, and what's left of my brain will have come out of hiding!

Per Johan Naesje February 22nd, 2009 02:45 PM

Annie, how are you? I keep waiting for your upload, hope you'll manage to get it online?

I think your idea is interesting and would like to see how you develop to this one.

Dale Guthormsen February 22nd, 2009 06:20 PM

Annie,

sounds like you will get to show us a lot of diverse wildlife, just my style!! Try to get a few minutes up!! I too was one that failed to go back and read the rules.

and meryem will tell you, I seem to have a thing about rules!!! Amazing I am still in uwol and not in jail.

Geir Inge February 23rd, 2009 02:56 AM

Hi Annie.
Exiting to read about your plan for uwol long form.
If I'm not wrong, I remember some years ago watching a film on Animal Planet about some otters, and this was from Bosherston Lily Ponds, (South Wales?).
Is your plan to describe a year in this habitat?
I like your idea very much, and looking forward to watch some of your footage :)
Regards
Geir Inge

Annie Haycock February 24th, 2009 10:19 AM

ok, I've managed to get a version up on vimeo - Bosherston Lily Ponds - January 2009 on Vimeo

But I can't yet get it past the UWOL uploader. Apparently that won't accept .mpg but I can't work out how to get .mpeg or the other extensions out of Premiere elements 4. I have a suspicion that the version on my desktop has corrupted somehow as it doesn't seem to be giving me the options it used to. I'll try again later, or tomorrow, and any suggestions - simple ones please - will be most welcome.

Bryce Comer February 24th, 2009 01:59 PM

Hi Annie,
Loved the shots you had, there were some with really beautiful colours. I especially like the one of the duck trying to gain some grip on the ice! Can't wait to see more from this place, it really looks nice.
As far as the uploading of the file goes, maybe you could try mpegstreamclip to change the file to what you want. It is a free program & should do the job without any loss of quality, & in only minutes. Google it, i'm sure you will find it a very handy little program.
Let us know how you get on, as time is slipping away with the deadline, & you don't want to still be mucking around with trying to get a file right to upload at the 11th hour.
Regards,
Bryce

Annie Haycock February 24th, 2009 06:18 PM

Bryce - You're right that there is never enough hours in the day - I was trying to get this up before midnight GMT, but didn't quite make it. I managed to find the copy of mpegstreamclip that I downloaded months ago, and was relieved to find it easy to use. My first attempt gave me a file of 80MB+, then I went out for the evening. Came back an hour ago and after another two attempts, got it down below 60MB and have now uploaded it.

So at last I officially have an entry in UWOL!!

Geir There have been several films shot at Bosherston, especially with the otters. I don't know what was shown on animal planet, but there was one I saw where the underwater shots had a gravel bed - definitely not shot at Bosherston where the lake beds are silt! Of course, most people wouldn't have known that. There was another film where I was talking about the otters. Whether or not any will cooperate for my film, I don't know - but the footage will be strictly above the surface.

Dale & Per There is certainly a lot of wildlife at this place, and I want to show a lot of it, but hopefully to not overdo it and put too much in. I want to try to get a segment up on Vimeo each month to keep me up-to-date.

Mihali Moore February 26th, 2009 05:30 AM

I like the idea of covering a single place over the year. It's something I have been toying with for my project. I look forward to seeing all manner of flora and fauna.

Finn-Erik Faale February 28th, 2009 03:09 PM

You have made many fine shots for the UWOL long form.
I was inspired and yesterday I went out to the ice edge to get some footage for my own long form film.
Thanks!

Finn-Erik

Annie Haycock March 1st, 2009 08:50 AM

Hi Finn-Erik
I'm glad you liked the shots. We don't have ice here very often - our winters tend to be relatively mild but damp. This was the first time in at least twelve years that the lake surface has frozen. Fortunately I was staying in a cottage near the lake while our house was being renovated, and I was able to get out with the camera on two mornings when there was ice, and on another morning in early February when there was snow. The snow lasted only a few hours, and was only on the fields around the lake.

Jeff Hendricks March 1st, 2009 03:43 PM

Annie,
I really like your shots of the birds on the pond my favorite being the mallard sitting there with the leaves of that tree dipping in the water. Regarding your story line, I think that if you go with something simple much like the simple story in the movie “Winged Migration” where it starts and ends with a child by the pond you will have a full circle to go with. I am looking forward to seeing your final project …