Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form

My film is called "The Pilgrimage"

It is a narrative story developed from an idea that I have long wanted to tell. In the attachments I have included the synopsis of the story also called the “logline”.

The only work I have gotten done so far is the first act of the screenplay…but I write about 1 and a half hours a day minimum- almost every day. I have included some of the work I have done on the screenplay but not all of it because there are some parts that are too top secret…by that I mean poorly written…for the public to see.

My film will not fit within the same mold of the wildlife/environmentalist nature documentary style films that are usually seen on this site. But the themes of my film are essentially driven by the love of earth, nature and the world around us. And the majority of the film takes place in the wilderness of the Sierra Nevada Mountains (where I call home).

The film as it stands now requires six speaking roles and I will need to start looking into local talent to act in the film.

The film will include John Muir and some of his quotes. If anyone has any idea of the legality of portraying John Muir (the famous naturalist) and the things he said or wrote on film I would greatly appreciate it. Are there any copyright issues with portraying a man who died just less than 100 years ago? He will be depicted in a very positive, almost heroic light. John Muir pretty much drives and motivates the main character.

The film takes place in the present but we will flashback on occasion to see John Muir.

The film takes place in the summer but all of the footage I shot for the first video is of the
winter. I won’t be able to use much of it but I did get some good ideas for location shooting. So the first part of my film is more of a storyboard than footage for the final product.

One of the main characters narrates some of his lines as he is alone in the wilderness during the second act.

The principal photography will take place this summer as I am a teacher with the summers off.

I was driven and very inspired for this film after reading the book “Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad and reading this line from the book.

“The earth seemed unearthly, we are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster but there you could look upon a thing monstrous and free”…

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form-page-1.jpg   Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form-page-2.jpg  

Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form-page-3.jpg   Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form-page-4.jpg  

Hendricks-The Pilgrimage-UWOL Long Form-page-5.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc The Pilgrimage.doc (27.0 KB, 319 views)
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Jeff, I think you have a good starting point for the project. You have some things really well defined and you're dedicating time to it.

My advice would be, try a few avenues for sourcing actors. There may be theatre groups around - aim more for people who have done plays than musicals. A lot of people who have done just musicals or mostly musicals will be very hammy in their acting - not connected with real emotion. Some people in community theatre never get much beyond remembering their lines with a bit of blocking. Or maybe forcing a few cliched emotions throughout their lines.
I don't know of acting schools around there for film, television, theatre. Maybe there is, though most people with 'the dream' would probably move to LA.

Hopefully you can find the people you need - I think we all know what it's like trying to get others interested in our ideas. It will be good to see the progress you make.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Jeff:

Cute ending to your clip... it gave me a laugh.

I'm impressed with your project. Story boards are difficult enough for me not to mention an acting script with a plot. Go for it! I'm interested to see how this progresses! Have you ever looked into the other forum with DV Info? I submitted a clip over Christmas when UWOL and DV Info combined for a charity challenge... and all of the films submitted from the DV Info side all had scripts with developed plots and actors. It would be something for you to check out and possibly enter sometime!

All the best!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

jeff,

Great idea!!

Are you going to hike portions or all of the John Muir Trail for classic seirra footage???

As a youth we did a bit of it, spectacular!!

there is also a good book out on the John muir Trail, softback but very nice with interesting information on it!! Might be a useful rresource. I read it in the 70's so its a couple days old.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Jeff...

I have always enjoyed your work, and this one should add a new dimension. The challenge of shooting actors in a natural setting is something I have not had to deal with as yet.

Chris Barcellos and I have been doing some short films locally, and have available to us a small (and growing) cadre of semi-pro actors. They have been appearing in our films to help build their library and to add to their Show reel. One in particular came to my mind as you were describing your character. If you should need an actor to play the role, he might be willing and from your description might be a good fit. If you are interested I can send you a link to his website.

Chris S.

ps. On the roof??

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; February 20th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Jeff.
This seems like a great plan.
And a whole lot of work :)
I am not familiar with John Muir, so I can't help you there.
I wouldn't worry about not having wildlife in your film.
As you say; it's about having love for mother nature and that's what this is all about, is it not?
Looking forward to see your film Jeff.
Geir Inge
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Trustee

Jeff,
this sounds very interesting to me. Even if it don't have much "wild birds/animals" scenes!

I did a look up for John Muir Trail at Wikipedia to read more about it. A year ago I read a book called Into the Wild, later I got the film based on this book. This is a very good story about a guy who turn his back to civilisation and going out in the wild, where i die, starving to death.
I believe that you could pick some ideas from this film, which show some real nice scenes of the person trying to survive out in the wild.

The poem in my film Norwegian Wood was quoted from this film.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Trustee

Wow Jeff,
You certainly have put a lot of effort into your script. With such detail i expect to see some really nice stuff in your film. The idea i think is great and look forward to seeing it.
Bryce
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Jeff,
What a delightful story. What a daunting project. I’m really keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one because I want so much to see the final program. As for your legal question- I am not a lawyer. Do not take my legal advise. Having said that, everything John Muir wrote is now in public domain. It is perfectly legal to have your Muir character speak anything he published. As for portraying him, he was a noted public figure and, as such, neither he nor his heirs have the same expectations of right to privacy. I think you’re OK. Better check with a real lawyer. How I envy you the ability to write for an hour and a half a day. It’s a rare day now I can write for an uninterrupted hour. Also, you write well. The alliteration of the spittle splattering brought a smile.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Major Player

That's certainly a different take on the long form challenge - at least compared with the ones I've looked at so far. No-one said this had to be specifically about wildlife! The journey idea is a good one, I hope you find suitable talent to complete it.

I couldn't help thinking "Rosebud, Rosebud" instead of "Chrysanthemum, Chrysanthemum"

I had to laugh at the end part of your film - but that was what it was meant for, wasn't it? I figure that ball of paper had to have looped the loop a couple of times on its way to the waste bin.
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Your project looks very interesting. I had, like Per Johan, to read about John Muir at Wikipedia. It is always fun to learn something (stretch the horizon).
Your small project film is very well done.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Wow Jeff - looks like a masterpiece is in the making here. I truly admire your ability to write scripts like this. You seem to have a natural talent for creating and filming pretty ambitious movies.

Your footage is beautifully constructed - pity in a way most will go by the board.

One thing I really appreciate is how effectively you used sound. The technique you used in the scene with snow, crunching footsteps and description is very effective as the visuals left to the imagination are not difficult to imagine.

By the way - even though this is completely irrelevant to your movie - you do know the titles of the books in your bookshelf are in reverse don’t you?
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Major Player

My submission for this round is a video storyboard of the first few minutes of my film "The Pilgrimage".

I have been scouting locations that look as if they are out in the middle of nowhere but actually have vehicular access for ease of shooting with a small crew and actors. So most of the locations you see in this presentation are within 200 yards of a road.

I recently went to a screenwriting seminar and my waning energy for making this film has turned 180 to enthusiasm, positive energy and...anxiety.

This is going to be a long, tough process (more so than I ever imagined)…but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Comments I am looking for are

1. Whether or not the first few minutes will hold and entice the interest of an audience
2. If the pace is too slow...or fast
3. If the visuals make sense and tell a story
4. If this is a film you would sit down and watch
5. Whether the idea/story/themes are clear, muddy, or nonexistent.
6. Any comments, critiques or helpful information that will improve my filmmaking ability so that I can make the best possible film.

Thanks
Jeff
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Major Player

uploaded my submission to Vimeo The Pilgrimage storyboard first 6 minutes on Vimeo
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Major Player

Jeff...

You have a way of taking the environment and wrapping a story around it that is rare. I have been anxious to see what you had in mind... and maybe I should go sit on the roof to have insights as good as yours.

The scenery is familiar, and the story sounds like a wonderful one of time/age/ and understanding. I will be delighted to see it come together.

As you mentioned the "fading in and out of full consciousness" idea I was struck my the similarity between your film there and Dylan Coupers in the last DVChallenge. I think the "lensbaby" (Lensbaby) might be your ticket here.

You have whet my appetite to see more. Great stuff...

Chris

ps. your VO was great.. tell how you captured it ?
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge