DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Spirit of the Outdoors Film Festival - Free Admission (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/145556-spirit-outdoors-film-festival-free-admission.html)

Meryem Ersoz March 10th, 2009 02:42 PM

Spirit of the Outdoors Film Festival - Free Admission

Accepting entries -- but, best of all, admission is free!

If you can make it to Colorado, it is a good chance to see your work projected on a big screen in front of an audience, no greater teacher than that, let me say!

And, having seen some of the entries, you people could totally clean up this thing and raise the quality bar.

Spirit of the Outdoors Film Festival - Boulder, Colorado

Yours truly is judging this year....

...sponsored by REI...

Per Johan Naesje March 11th, 2009 04:45 AM

Meryem,
I'm very tempted to join this Festival. Not in present, but with a film of course!

I could do in one of the following categories:
* Best Enjoy-the Living-Daylights-Out-of-Your-Day Video
* Best Video by Someone Over 50

The big question will be: We are supposed to deliver the entry on DVD. How about PAL standard. Will the Festival be able to handle PAL or do I have to convert the material to NTSC?

Meryem Ersoz March 12th, 2009 07:47 AM

Good question, Per. I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing that they are not set up for PAL. If they want international submissions -- and they say they do -- they may try to make this happen. But let me ask them, and I'll let you know. Last year was the first year for this event, and the directors are still learning how to make it happen.

They have good prizes, though, so it would be worth entering.

Meryem Ersoz March 26th, 2009 02:32 PM

Hi Per -- Finally got an answer -- NTSC only, though if they get enough entries from PAL-land, they'll consider PAL for next year --

...these guys are camping gear sellers, not film and video people, so we need to get 'em up to speed!

Pat Reddy March 27th, 2009 09:02 AM

Hi Meryem, I downloaded the guidelines pdf, but my lawyer skills are severely lacking. Does the festival acquire ownership of your film?

Pat

Meryem Ersoz March 27th, 2009 12:03 PM

Hi Pat:

As far as I can tell: entrants own all rights. but I'm not a lawyer, and my only affiliation with this film festival is that I was asked to judge, so you might want to direct more specific inquiries to the addresses listed on their website.

1. Entrant Owns all Rights. Entrant is the sole owner of all rights granted herein and all obligations of any kind have
been paid or discharge in connection with the Entry, including, without limitation, those with artists and personnel, relating
to purchases, licenses, laboratory contracts, distribution, exhibition, performance, or exploitation of the Entry and that
there are no guild or union personnel providing services in connection with the Entry.

BUT:

They seem to have the right to use your film for promotional purposes. I believe that this means for the promotion of the film festival, not of REI's self-promotions -- but I'll say it again, I'm not a lawyer, and my only affiliation with this film festival is that I'm a judge, so you might want to direct more specific inquiries to the addresses listed on their website.

D. Entrant hereby grants SOFF and REI the irrevocable right, but not the obligation, to show the Entry to the public, as well as to
promote Entry and such showing in the press, marketing and promotional materials and the right, but not the obligation to exploit the
Entry in any and all media (now known or hereafter devised), throughout the universe in perpetuity and to market and promote such
exploitation and the likenesses of people who appear in the Entry.

Pat Reddy March 27th, 2009 05:11 PM

Hey Meryem, thanks! That helps.

Pat

Meryem Ersoz March 28th, 2009 12:43 PM

Looking forward to seeing your entry, Pat...fun to see locals getting info from DVInfo...