Tales of Wonder and Woe - UWOL #13 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #16
Major Player

I am in trouble.
I am leaving my country and computer and will not be back until Mai 27.
The problem is that I came over some chaos in the beginning af Mai, and my chaos film is ready.

I did send an inquiry for uwol@comcast.net two days ago but I have not got any response yet. My time glass is shortly empty.

I have now uploaded the film, - status OK.
Now I am anxious for what is going to happen.
Will my film be within the UC#13 or will it be rejected?

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #17
Trustee

Finn Erik, I tried to contact Meryem a couple of days ago without any reponse too!

If you don't get any response, I will help you out if you like?
You may send your file to me and I could upload it for you when we get the upload info?

Send me a PM if you like Finn Erik and we can arrange something. I do have a server you can use for uploading.
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Have just realised that the deadline is the 25th, not the 30th which for some reason was in my head. I have planned my shoot for the 27th as it is the earliest date I can do it. So it looks like I'm out. But, I am still going to do the film anyway. If it's any good I'll post it up and comments, as usual, will be welcomed.

Good luck everyone else!
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Wrangler

Per, you should have received an email from me...did it arrive.

Finn-Erik, you probably emailed me a few seconds after I had done my daily UWOL check...so you, too, should have received a response.

If, for some reason, you don't get an answer from me within 24 hours, try emailing Mat or Kevin.

There's 40 of you, right now, and one of me.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
Per, you should have received an email from me...did it arrive.
Thanks a lot, it did arrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
There's 40 of you, right now, and one of me.
Meryem, you do a very great job running this challenge! I been into this since the beginning and I know you work very hard to serve us.

Thanks again for this great place!
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #21
Trustee

My idea

So, how I'm doing. Well, I have some ideas how to develop the theme into a film. My idea is to basically to use a DSLR and do thousands and thousands of pics into a stop motion movie.
Tomorrow is Ascension Day and I'm off duty (hurra!). What can be more suitable than trying to do as much pics of flying clouds as possible on a day like that :)
Forecast is promising for tomorrow.
My idea is to combine stop motion and ordinary footage and doing som green screening (chroma keying) and put some eerie/hysterical tune into it.
I believe CHAOS is within the scope! But most of all, this gonna be most of all rule #11, thanks heaven!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #22
Major Player

weather!!

I wish the weather would look at the forecast occasionally and do what it's supposed to be doing!!

My project depends on weather and tides. When I had the idea, I didn't have a camera with me - if I'm doing survey work the camera stays in the bag, and if I'm do photo/video, then I'm not concentrating on the survey. So I decided to do the survey, and then follow the route again afterwards with the camera. The first time I did this, I knew the tides were wrong, but at least I'd get something for cutaways, scenery etc. The second time, my notebook says it was thick mist. The third time, it was abandoned because of rain. Today, the forecast was sun and showers, but all I got was wall-to-wall drizzle driven in on a force 4 westerly. Not nice.

So I don't think I'm going to make it this time - yet again.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I am done with my video, but I am so unhappy with the result that it went straight to the big archive, never to be seen again. Didn't get enough variation of the shots, and the story was hiding somewhere...

So now I am in a desperate need to come up with a new idea, and shoot something this weekend. Dark clouds are over me at the moment... and not only litteraly, it's raining, haha.

But I strictly followed rule 11 and had much fun when I shot the original video.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #24
Trustee

Annie, I feel your pain!

I have had one day filming. Weather here has been downright awful, heavy rain every weekend, I had just one day at my location. It was supposed to be the "establishing shots" day, and I was going to return to get more bird life, but the weather has kept me away.

Plus the one cliff I did visit had next to no birds. Last time I visited (admittedly 15+ years ago!) the cliffs were festooned with sea birds. This time I saw a single bird, and didn't get a chance to return another day. Aaagh!

Now £115 poorer, I'm stressing my steam-powered PC with proDAD Mercalli stabilizer trying to rescue the few clips I did get.

Aaagh, again!

Still, I should have something to show come Monday, even if it wasn't quite as planned.

Bizarrely, rule #11 still applies to me! Fun!

I wonder if I win the "best dressed UWOL-er" competition? The hat was an emergency purchase and was three sizes too small...
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe - UWOL #13-img_4203.jpg  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #25
Trustee

Hi Mike, liked your hat very much!

Well, I realize that I have to go out to get some more footage. Or this one gonna be a very short one!
I'm experimenting with stop motion pics.
My findings is - this is veeeeery time consuming! And you don't know how the result are before you actually get it into your computer. It's like the "old days" when I was doing analog film and had to wait for the lab to process my masterpiece!
Anyway I got some cool results, which is very amusing to watch!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM   #26
Major Player

Annie, Mike, I hear ya....

Every chance I had to go out, the weather wasn't on my side...
When it was, work or family stopped me...

So I've got about 10 minutes of test footage I did 3 weekends ago that I'm going to try to make something with today...The theme may be a stretch.
Sunday and Monday are out, so this is it.

EDIT: Anyone know if upload instructions went out yet? Just making sure my spam filter didn't snag them or anything.

Bob
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #27
Trustee

Dressed for wildlife filming!

Well, had to show you my new dress for wildlifefilming. In front, my good old 20D, which I use for stop motion filming for my #13 entry.
Don't dare to tell what's in the viewfinder....

Mike, you got competition in the "best dressed UWOL-er"

Photo by: Ole Arne Schlytter
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe - UWOL #13-17mai_per1.jpg  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM   #28
Trustee

Per,

Now that is funny! Perfect camoufage for filming penguins! You sure went to a lot of effort for UWOL.

I am editing like crazy today. A combination of bad weather (preventing the filming I wanted) and the day job being too busy has made the edit a challenge. It won't be quite what I wanted to do, won't be colour-corrected, and may not be perfect, but I hope to get something completed on time.

Rule #11! Rule #11! Rule #11! Rule #11!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Per Johan,
I see you show the world how the vikings are dressed while filming the wildlife. So that's the secret behind your success.
Way to go!!! :)

I'm getting dangerously close to the sharks this time. Not a good feeling.
Only thing that might save me if I come up with a new idea which I can shoot and edit tomorrow.
5 hours out in my boat today didn't produce anything... at least not what I was hoping for. Filmed something... but that would not even last for a 30sec film. The sea was chaotic for sure, but only watching the seas... well, you get the idea. It's called boring.
At least I didn't met any sharks out there, but it was close, very close.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
EDIT: Anyone know if upload instructions went out yet? Just making sure my spam filter didn't snag them or anything.

Bob
The uploading instructions has been sent out. I'll forward it to you here as well.
EDIT: I would forward if I could, seems like it isn't possible to email you through this site.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge