DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 14- Light Cycle by Chris Barcellos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/240210-uwol-14-light-cycle-chris-barcellos.html)

Chris Barcellos August 3rd, 2009 12:40 AM

UWOL 14- Light Cycle by Chris Barcellos

I managed to get an entry together.

See the Vimeo version here for better look: Light Cycle on Vimeo

Dale Guthormsen August 3rd, 2009 08:19 PM

Chris,

first, I am impressed you still got something together!!!! As always I liked the imagery and compositions you portray!! Perhaps I would have liked a little smoother movemnet in a couple of the light shots!!

I did like the star shots, have not really figured out if I can even do that on the hd video camera!!

I like seeing what can be done with the 5D.

Nice job.

thanks for taking the time and sharing!!!!

Mike Sims August 3rd, 2009 08:53 PM

Very nice Chris. What ISO did you shoot the astro time lapse at? Have you upgraded to the new firmware? If so, what do you think of the added manual controls for video? I hope you are doing better each day. My sister had BP several years ago. I hope your recovery is as rapid and complete as hers. Best wishes.

Chris Barcellos August 3rd, 2009 09:12 PM

Dale, I did this on Saturday and Sunday overnight... what I got was what I was stuck with. This was first real foray into time lapse, and I learned a lot.

Mike, Shot the star scenes at ISO800, exposures at 10 seconds, if I recall. Camera was controled by a $45 timer, bought from China. Very reliable and easy to use.

Yes, for this I was using firmware version 1.10. Love the additional control provided. Makes the camera. I also have been working and helping test Trammel Hudson Magic Lantern, which expands usability of the camera, mostly on the video/audio side.

Mike Sims August 4th, 2009 06:52 AM

That Magic Lantern stuff is pretty exciting.

Geir Inge August 4th, 2009 12:39 PM

Hi Chris.
What a great night shot, all the stars rotating on the sky.
Very nice indeed. Also like the shadows moving as the light changes/sun moves on the sky.
Hope you’re getting better from your illness, and doing well.

All the best.
Geir Inge

Meryem Ersoz August 4th, 2009 01:07 PM

dude, you're making me want a 5D Mark II after I promised myself, no more cameras this year...must. close. B&H. shopping cart, aaaaghhh.

Finn-Erik Faale August 4th, 2009 02:42 PM

I must agree to what is said before. Your moving stars are fabulous. I am also fascinated by the moving shadows. The fast vibrating branches can sometimes be somewhat exhausting.

Trond Saetre August 4th, 2009 03:23 PM

Very nice Chris!
I'm glad you managed to make a video.
The shadows and especially the stars were my favorites.

Well done!

Rich Ryan August 4th, 2009 08:34 PM

Chris,

Nice piece. The Canon does some remarkable low light work. Like others I really enjoyed the night time lapse. I also thought the shadow sequence at 0:57 was very nice.

rich

Mihali Moore August 5th, 2009 01:31 AM

Hi Chris,

Good work on getting a film uploaded. I enjoyed it very much. Like the others I thought the night sequence was very nice; the light on the trees, the movement of the stars . It had a very cinematic feel to it.

All the best and a speedy recovery.

Mihali

Ron Chant August 5th, 2009 04:33 PM

Chris I have done a bit of time lapse on flowers opening with a Canon D and a zig-view for the timing slave, Chris well done on getting a film finished.
I like the shrinking shadows as the sun passes over the garden.
I wish you all the best and the BP is gone very soon.

Geir Inge August 6th, 2009 02:39 AM

Chris
I keep watching all of the uwol#14 videos again and again.
Thats the way I learn from you all.
When looking at yours I notice something at :24 at first I didn't understand what it was.
But is it a cat running in to the bushes?

Geir Inge

Per Johan Naesje August 6th, 2009 01:43 PM

Chris, very nice timelapse you got there. My first idea for my entry was doing a 24 hour lapse like you did.

Second much of what have been commented to your film.

BTW! I will do some night timelapse as soon as it get dark here in Scandinavia in some weeks from now. Thanks for the tips about exposure and timer settings.

Keep up your good work, Chris!