DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #14 "A Cycle of Nature".. Ron Chant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/240216-uwol-14-cycle-nature-ron-chant.html)

Ron Chant August 3rd, 2009 05:15 AM

UWOL #14 "A Cycle of Nature".. Ron Chant

This short video came about by accident; I had plans on something very different for the 14th challenge.
we are renovating our house and one of the biggest jobs was a new roof and while the roofer was taking the tiles off he came across two young Swifts tucked up in a corner of the attic,
I have known we had swifts coming to our loft every year but by now they usually would have fledged and taken off to a life of catching 20,000 insects a day

after seeking some advise from people that look after abandoned swifts my Daughter said that we should take care of them.

Swifts are amazing, beautiful birds. Supreme aerialists, they spend almost all their life in the air, and can fly up to 20,000 feet high. They feed, drink, mate and sleep on the wing, and only land to breed.

A young Swift will spend its first two or three years in constant flight before it breeds.
I made this video in our home and garden, I know the audio is bad and I should have recorded it over again but the last Sunday morning had arrived
I was told no more video, as we were all going out, it was a family get together
For my 60 birthday.

Like below
A Cycle of Nature

Mike Sims August 3rd, 2009 09:38 PM

Well done Ron. Both on the video and also in caring for the swifts. I like the macro shots. What lens are you using? Just a couple of thoughts- Be careful about cutting off the top of the head. Also, think about making the titles a bit larger. Nice story. I’m glad it has a happy ending.

Dale Guthormsen August 3rd, 2009 09:40 PM

Ron,

A good twist on the theme, I liked the wrap at the end!! If they survive you can certainly expect them back!! I lost a peregrine falcon once, and two years later it turned up in spring setting right on the edge of town. I released a Merlin falcon and it returned for 6 years and even raised families in the neighbor hood, coming to set in his favorite perch in our yar to hunt from, a greek olive. so do not be surprised when one returns!!

thanks for sharing!!!

Chris Barcellos August 3rd, 2009 09:53 PM

Love the variety in this film...Lot of diffent things going on..... Crickets appear to be in a bit of trouble. :) Nice job.

Rich Ryan August 4th, 2009 08:55 PM

Ron,

I was really getting into the sequences you shoot with the butterfly at the opening, but you pulled the rug out from under me and switched things up.

You did a nice job with the narration and cutting to yourself, it really helped tie things together.

Your opening title sequence was a little hard to read. The font choice and color on the green background were tough. I had to watch it a couple times to read it.

rich

Mihali Moore August 5th, 2009 03:51 AM

Rob,

A really nice 'feel-good' story. You opening shots were great and I liked the way you brought the subject in. I have swifts near me and they are fantastic to watch in flight.

My only criticism is that the shots of you narrating were not framed in the best manner and the shadow covered some of your face. Perhaps looking down the lens would have been a bit more engaging and find a place where the shadows aren't so harsh.

Hope you had a nice birthday...

Mihali

Geir Inge August 5th, 2009 07:25 AM

Hi Ron.
What a fine story about the birds nesting in your attic.
I agreed with Mahali about framing shots, (rule of thirds).
I think you have a great soundtrack, but at 1:43 it suddenly changes, sounding more metallic or something similar. Not a big issue, but I just wonder why?
Regards to your daughter for telling you to look after the birds and help them on the wings :)

All the best.
Geir Inge

Trond Saetre August 5th, 2009 02:52 PM

Hi Ron,

What an interesting video you got here.
Must have been interesting to see the birds grow up.

2nd part of the titles was hard to read for me also. (the "a film by....) Bigger fonts, or different colors would be easier to read.

Thank you for sharing.

Finn-Erik Faale August 5th, 2009 02:58 PM

You have an interesting and entertaining story. I will praise your natural and relaxed way of talking.

Per Johan Naesje August 7th, 2009 01:49 PM

Ron, a very touching piece!
Your narrating is nice and relaxed to listen to. But as Geir Inge also said, there was som change in the pitch in the middle of the piece.
Also when you filmed yourself sitting in the chair, some of your head was cut off!

Overall I liked it very much, keep up your good work, Ron!

Meryem Ersoz August 8th, 2009 08:53 AM

Ron unmasked! I like the way that you brought yourself into this...it's always fun to see the UWOLers integrated into their work.

Ron Chant August 9th, 2009 07:22 AM

Reply to your feedback,

Mike the lens I used for the close/ macro shots is one of my manual Nikons lens
70 – 210 f4 with macro, used on my Canon XL2.

Dale it must be very satisfying to fly peregrines, twenty odd years ago I kept a pair of European Eagle owls but never got to fly them.
Chris The Crickets were in trouble but the Swifts loved ‘em

Rich The opening title that was a last minute change I made it up from Apples Live Type program, I should have stopped with the original which were much the same as the end credits.

Mihali Framing/narration shots were taken on our patio, it’s shaded by some tall bamboo and palms, it was the only part of the garden that didn’t pick up too much of noise from the building work going on…. But cutting the top of my head off, there is no excuse ☺

The Norwegian crew :+)
Geir, trond, Finn, and the Per Johan, High guys, unfortunately over those few weeks the neighborhood was having a new mains water pipe laid and this week a gas main
That my excuse.
I should have recorded the voice over at night , then
Meryem the unmasking would have to be on another challenge.