UWOL#14 "Rythms at Vrangfoss" - Finn-Erik Faale at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL#14 "Rythms at Vrangfoss" - Finn-Erik Faale

The video shows the lock system in the Telemark Canal. The Canal was completed in 1892 and became known as "the fast route" between eastern and western Norway. It was also called "the eighth wonder of the world".
The waterway brings you through 18 locks chambers over lakes and between mountains to the ancient village Dalen. A sailing distance of 105 km and level difference of 72 meters.
Vrangfoss (=troublesome waterfall) was extremely demanding for log drivers before the water was tamed. 14 persons were employed year round to loosen the tangled logs. Vrangfoss is the canal's largest lock complex with its five lock bays lifting altogether 23 meters.
The video follows the tourist boats through the rhythms of the locks and water levels. About eight minutes on each cycle, 40 minutes to lift a boat through the whole complex. The locks are still operated manually as there were in 1892.
I have not cleaned my voice. It is my life-partner who is doing the narrating.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Finn-Erik,
I liked this video very much. It is a very different and enjoyable interpretation of the theme. You have a great mix of camera angles and many beautifully exposed and composed shots. I especially liked the low angle shots and the scenes of the opening and closing of the lock gates. I think a ride through the Telemark Canal on Victoria or Telemarken must be a memory for a lifetime. Thank-you for sharing it with us. Tone did a wonderful job narrating.

I’m so sorry to hear that the oil has struck Stråholmen. Please keep us updated.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That was a very informative and interesting film. Never have really seen anything showing the lock systems. Thanks for the upclose look !
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hei Finn-Erik,

This was very nice and interesting to watch. Even though I know a lot about this canal already, I learned something new.
You showed us very well the details about how the locks are operated.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Finn-Erik,

I really enjoyed your film. It was well shot and informative. The script and narration were excellent. The segment on the gate closing was very nice. When you consider how long the locks have been in place those gates have opened and closed so many times.

I liked the shot of the "Victoria" at 1:25. Your camera seemed to be right at the water surface, how did you manage that?

Rich
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik.
Your film braught back memories to me, as me and my wife took the trip way back when...
Just love those boats and I think your film is showing what a great place this is.
Narration is both educational and informative, but it sounds like there is a variation in volume (?)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Finn-Erik,

I really enjoyed this film. It was very informative and and had a great number of varied and interesting shots. The music and narration complemented each other very well.

We have similar locks in London, but not to the size of yours. I have been on a barge and had to open them once. Luckily it didn't take 40 mins as the scenery here is not as nice!

Great work.

Mihali
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I enjoyed your short film it was informative and educational your partner’s Narration was clear and well spaced it’s good to hear that old boats are still in use as a form of living canal history
nice work.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik,
very nice entry. Truly beautiful colors and compositions in your shoots. I have been to Vrangfoss a couple of times and your entry reminded me how nice area this is!

As Geir Inge noticed the narration was a bit variable in level.

A great entry, liked it alot!
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you all for comments. You are all too kind.
Rich: The scene at the water level is handheld. I laid me down beside the canal and held the camera against the wooden side beneath. The only mad person among the tourists.

Geir Inge and Per Johan: I think the distance to the microphone changed a bit so volume went down and the reverb from the room changed a bit. I have tried to change the volume in after-hand, but I did not manage to cheat you.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Wrangler

That was really cool and interesting. I must get to Norway!

Great angles on the subject....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge