DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Bowing out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/374706-bowing-out.html)

Catherine Russell September 8th, 2009 10:29 AM

Bowing out

Hi UWOL friends:

I'm not quite sure how to say this, but I'm thinking I'm out of the long form challenge. Let's just say the ankle is sort of being ... a ... hindrance. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm totally laid up in bed or anything, far from it. But realistically, goals have been altered... for the better, I think. These unfortunate happenings can be very timely in good ways too. What it made me do is realize that what I really look forward to is another year perfecting this movie I've started. Rut season won't be in full swing for another couple of weeks and so my focus will be filming as much as I am able to fully document that. There is no way I would make the October deadline if I really want to concentrate on this. And then I absolutely need another winter of work to fill out what I started last year. I'm so much more focused now and know what I want. And did you know that the Park has 25 different varieties of orchids? And I didn't catch one of them! They have a short but dazzling appearance in late spring and I didn't know about them and missed them! So this spring I will be there for this. And then of course, next summer is another shot at Longs Peak, which simply isn't in the cards for me at this time with a sprained ankle, and is a must for the storyboard of my film.

SO! Another year is what I am asking for. If by any chance the rest of you feel they could use another 4 seasons to perfect what they have started, then maybe we could dialog about that as a group. If we all decided together that next Fall is a better deadline than this December (with Meryem the final decision-maker), then I'm game! Otherwise, I'm getting off the bus here in hopes of producing a film that shows what 2 years of perfecting can do!

All the best to everyone! And here's to the UWOL longform challenge. You all inspire me!

Cat

p.s. If you read this and don't understand the ankle part, just flip toward the end of tales of wonder and woe and I explained things there. CHEERS!

Chris Swanberg September 8th, 2009 02:02 PM

Cat... while I really want to and plan to submit something for this challenge, I also realize that I will need additional time to make the "final" version I would really like to make.... (eg. more interviews, additional story ideas, and some missing archival pieces to name a few). I'm game for a separate group working towards a more distant deadline for our "final-final" versions... even just to keep us on our toes and share feedback.

Chris

Meryem Ersoz September 8th, 2009 08:11 PM

We won't make any drastic changes to the long-form rules at this stage of the game. But you're always free to band together to support each other in improving and perfecting what you have begun, beyond the structure and one-year time limit imposed by UWOL. You may also continue adding to your long-form threads after the long-form contest is over, if you're seeking more help.

But we'll still be seeing the contest through, according to the original constraints.

Geir Inge September 9th, 2009 02:09 AM

Hi Catherine.
Sad to hear you're "bowing out", it will be a loss.
I think you have a very good film and stortyline.
Also your technique and editing is very, very good.
I hope your ankle will recover soon.

I have thought about what to do myself, as I'm not sure I have enough material AND enough time left to spend,
to finish my video according to my original plan.
And as I'm working 80% shift work, go to school (finished my first year now, still 3 more years to go, puh),
and now and then have to show my family; "Hey, I'm still here folks" :)
It's been a tough job trying to follow the schedule at ULF.
So here's what I will do instead.
I'll try to make a story out of what I've got and follow the rules of this competition.
Then afterwords, when the ULF is over, I'll change the video using some of my older footage from 2007 and 2008 and try make it more according to my original plan.
And yes, I will then try to sell it to the National television.
Amongst others I want to use some of my footage when I'm padling my canoe round the islets of Kvamsoy. Maybe it will turn out to be a mini series, 2 - 3 episodes, 20 min each,
or just one film with a length of 50 - 60 min.
What's more important, I don't think I could have accomplished this if it wasn't for all of you great Uwol people, support and help :)
So thank you for that!

Regards
Geir Inge

Mat Thompson September 9th, 2009 03:39 AM

Well Geir beat me too it !

Just like you Cat I'm very aware of things I've now missed, although I'm sure this would be the same next year and the year after....its just the 'nature' of it :-)

So like Geir my plan at the moment is two stage. Edit something together for the LF, which will provide me with a great roughout of what works and what doesnt, it will also keep things rolling with the deadline. Then afterwards, pick up the extra 20-30% I think I can't shoot by December and produce my 'finished' piece, which I hope to make a dvd out of of!

It would be a shame to see you leave....so maybe you can follow a similar work flow!

Mat

Bob Safay September 9th, 2009 04:28 AM

Cat, so sorry to hear you are dropping out. Like the others I feel the same. Difference is, I have the footage, but now find I need to develope the story to go with it. I will have something to submit in November, but more time would be great to put it all together. I lived in Colorado for many years, work in RMNP in the summer of 1975, and never knew about the orchids. So ya see, you got to finish it just to show us the orchids. Take care of yourself, Bob

Catherine Russell September 9th, 2009 10:17 AM

Oh! You guys are feeling the same way? And you are using the UWOL final deadline as a stepping stone for more future work? O.K. that changes things somewhat. Then perhaps I too can work within that framework.

The key thing here is being able to keep the threads open and giving/receiving the feedback after the challenge is over. I am convinced that your collective input has so improved my effort, I don't want to lose that over the next year! Thanks Meryem, for suggesting this.

After a few years of 3-min wonders, it's hard to imagine feeling like after a year it's all just starting to roll!

Thanks Chris, Geir, Mat, Meryem and Bob for the input. I'll stick with the challenge considering that my final entry will be a works in progress even though it will have a beginning, middle and end. I'm relieved to know you guys will be doing that too and still be around for feedback next year.

Cheers!

Cat

Chris Swanberg September 9th, 2009 12:40 PM

Maybe what we need to do is adopt similar "due dates" for next year for the "extended support" group. I have found that having a deadline was of assistance in the long form challenge. I think from what I see most of us will "tweak" and refine our project into the coming year. The feedback and support are (and will continue to be) of assistance in our quests to a "final" product.

Chris

Meryem Ersoz September 9th, 2009 12:56 PM

If you all make them up, I will post them as a "rules" sticky, after the long-form contest is over (to avoid confusion) - whatever it takes to help move your projects along. I definitely find that even self-starters do a little better job with more formality, when things get too casual, people stop producing...life intervenes, etc.

Marj Atkins September 10th, 2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Russell (Post 1331914)
Oh! You guys are feeling the same way? And you are using the UWOL final deadline as a stepping stone for more future work? O.K. that changes things somewhat. Then perhaps I too can work within that framework. . . .

I'll stick with the challenge considering that my final entry will be a works in progress even though it will have a beginning, middle and end. I'm relieved to know you guys will be doing that too and still be around for feedback next year.

Cheers!

Cat

So glad you are going to stick with us Cat - was really intrigued by what you were doing!!

I think we're all in the same boat here and battling to juggle time - so I'm also relieved we'll all have a chance to put the final polish on next year.

Trond Saetre September 10th, 2009 04:09 AM

Catherine, don't bail out! Finish what you are making, it's a good project you have!
As the others have said, if you need extra time, then take your time, even if that means you don't finish before the deadline.

Meryem Ersoz September 10th, 2009 07:56 AM

Let me just say this...longer form projects are never "done," they are only "completed"...because you can always do it differently or better.

The last mile is the hardest -- and that alone can take months of work.

On the other hand -- you people constantly surprise me with the outstanding quality of the work that you do - your "done" projects often look completed to me. So don't under-estimate yourself and don't apologize for the work you have accomplished at the end of this challenge.

Whether you submit something that feels like a draft or something that feels more polished, just getting to the end of a TV or feature-length piece is a major achievement and breakthrough for each and every one of you.

I'm wrestling with a 22-minute edit of my own right now (not a nature show, something else...), so I know exactly how tough it is to put the pieces of the puzzle together...

Catherine Russell September 10th, 2009 11:17 AM

Hi everyone:

Thanks, this has been a very worthwhile dialog and I appreciate the support. This morning I looked up at Longs Peak in the distance, and then down at my ankle and just shook my head. Even an altered, works in progress final version seems ... challenging. Hence the title of this forum, I guess.

Trond, it is so wonderful to hear from you. I've missed you lots. I didn't realize just how much until you unexpectedly chimed in with your characteristic kind words and encouragement. Lots of filming for you these days?

Chris has an excellent idea about keeping a format for posting/feedback next year. It will keep us going and get us all on the site at the same time. Otherwise, someone might post something to view for feedback and no one sees it for awhile.

Cato

Trond Saetre September 10th, 2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Russell (Post 1336426)
Lots of filming for you these days?

Yes, I have been very busy. Filmed my first wedding (my brother's) about a month ago. Much work, especially the editing, but really fun. Hours of video, hundreds of photos. Good for me the next uwol is delayed until October.

Mike Sims September 14th, 2009 08:02 PM

Catherine,
I’m sorry to read about your mishap. I hope you are feeling better by now. Three years ago I took a bad spill on the mountain. Just as I reached the switch in a switchback one of my boots delaminated and I went face first down the scree slope. Fortunately my camera was in the fanny pack and didn’t get a scratch. I was pretty banged up though. It was only a mile and a half to the trailhead, but it was the longest hike I’ve ever made. The most important thing I learned was how important it is to get back out there just as soon as you are physically able.

I hope you’ve reconsidered about dropping out. The rules just say a minimum of twenty minutes. They don’t say that twenty minutes have to be the whole story…