DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   I am so frustrated, I'm not going in the shark tank (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/466855-i-am-so-frustrated-im-not-going-shark-tank.html)

Oliver Pahlow October 31st, 2009 05:25 AM

I am so frustrated, I'm not going in the shark tank

I spent the whole day yesterday putting the finishing touches on my video. Then, for the life of me I could not render it into a size and look that would work for this contest. It would either ne 8.5 meg or 2.2 gig in size. In a last ditch effored I tried to upload my final version on my youtube account, and that was a mistake. It took over two hours to load, well past midnight. For what it's worth, here is my failed entry:

YouTube - Kingdom Of Our Dearly Departed

Ryan Farnes October 31st, 2009 05:37 AM

"There is a whole horse buried here!" Haha, love it!

I got mine uploaded (uh..this morning) but I had rendering issues with my audio. Seems that any project I work on in FCP with manipulated audio levels when working with several tracks, is ALWAYS buggy. So, my final has some very seriously juvenile audio glitches. I sort of feel your pain, although mine is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Definitely got me thinking about trying Adobe or Vegas though. :D

Kevin Railsback October 31st, 2009 05:40 AM

I think compression is the biggest issue that seems to pop up every challenge. Maybe Meryem will take a look at alternate formats for next year.
I'd love to see H.264 and now that it's supported by the latest version of Flash maybe that's an option for next year.

Meryem Ersoz October 31st, 2009 08:54 AM

..not too late to request an extension, hint hint.

You've played before, Oliver, without encountering these issues...wonder what is up?

Dale Guthormsen October 31st, 2009 09:37 AM

Oliver,

your images and rack focus' are sweet. A whole horse, amazing.

I have had huge issues this round too.

I am glad you got this up, ask for the extension!!

Oliver Pahlow October 31st, 2009 10:56 AM

Well, I'm not sure if I am still in the game. I uploaded my entry and it is just the worst render ever. I paniced just to get something up. I will continue to try and render something better. I just don't get it.

Oliver Pahlow October 31st, 2009 12:22 PM

fixed my rendering problem. It's uploaded but I have a feeling that I am out of the game.

Kevin Railsback October 31st, 2009 12:25 PM

I'll swap the files for ya as soon as I see it's up there.

I think when Meryem came up with the challenge it was not only about sharing your work with like minded filmmakers and getting feedback, but also to challenge yourself. I don't think she's going to mind if you upload a file that has better compression which is closer to the original look of your film.

You finished on time, you uploaded on time so i don't think she's going to worry about you uploading the same film but a better quality version.

Kevin Railsback October 31st, 2009 12:32 PM

Done deal Oliver. I replaced your file with the new one.

Mike Beckett October 31st, 2009 01:09 PM

Kevin,

Can I re-submit mine, please? The video is absolutely identical, but I have improved the render process today. I should have it within half an hour, just need to run some comparisons.

When I get all this tested, I'll put together a simple "1-2-3" guide for those of us using CS3 to generate UWOL videos.

Kevin Railsback October 31st, 2009 01:14 PM

Go for it. It'll be our little secret. :)

I think Meryem will bend for an improved compressed version as long as it's not changed it should be fine.

I'll movie your original into another folder in case she's not happy with me. :)

Oliver Pahlow October 31st, 2009 01:21 PM

Thank you very much Kevin.

Kevin Railsback October 31st, 2009 01:25 PM

No sweat Oliver.

Like I said, Meryem created this challenge to help makes us better filmmakers, share feedback with fellow filmmakers around the world and to have fun.

So I don't think she's going to be upset about uploading a better compressed version of your film.

Mike Beckett October 31st, 2009 01:33 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for that. I've re-uploaded it now. If Meryem allows it, super, if not - it's OK, I'm happy just to have learnt something new today!

I'm still working on the ins and outs of the compression, but it looks like I've nailed it.

Any flaws in the video now are entirely down to my dodgy camerawork and editing, rather than a bad render.

Kevin Railsback October 31st, 2009 01:37 PM

File replaced Mike. :)