Question for the Long Form Community... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Wrangler

Question for the Long Form Community...

In considering the judging of this (been discussing with a potential judge...), would the finalists be willing to provide a DVD copy of their long-form for the judge to view?

It would be more comfortable for the judge, viewing-wise, and it would be a better representation of your work to the judge. You would have about ten days to have it burned and mailed to me...for our international finalists, you could upload the file to my FTP site, and I would have this done on my end, assuming you can send me an MPEG-2 quicktime.

We have to have agreement by all 11 of you, or we can't do it this way....

Your files would still be hosted to the UWOL website as well. This would be for yours' and the judge's convenience only and would apply to half of you...

File it in the category of, "things you don't think of, one year in advance"---
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I like this idea and you have my concurrence.

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Meryem- This sounds OK by me, but now I’m a little confused. Will this mean we have two deadlines? One, the fifteenth (or is it now the 21st?), to upload to the UWOL server, and another ten days later for the DVD to arrive by mail (Nov 25 or Dec 1). Will you e-mail us a mailing address?

Also, what has been decided about the final file size? A test render of my 42 minutes is within the 180mb limit.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Trustee

I also like the idea. I think the product would look much better. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Meryem, happy to provide MPEG2 for you via ftp....
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Meryem- This sounds OK by me, but now I’m a little confused. Will this mean we have two deadlines? One, the fifteenth (or is it now the 21st?), to upload to the UWOL server, and another ten days later for the DVD to arrive by mail (Nov 25 or Dec 1). Will you e-mail us a mailing address?

Also, what has been decided about the final file size? A test render of my 42 minutes is within the 180mb limit.
Your regular deadline will remain the same...only the finalists will have to submit a DVD - since that is 11 people, that means about 5-6 of you will be moved onto the finalists' list, from which the judge will make the final evaluations. I will contact those people privately, during the week after your final upload.

Also, if the judge that I have in mind agrees to do it, we will be moving the announcement out about a week, so instead of annoucing on Dec. 1, it will probably take place a week from then - there is an essential reason for this...can't tell just yet.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Trustee

Meryem, I am a bit confused. There are 11 of us left. We submit our Nov entries, then, do you pick the 5 finalists out of that group, and only the 5 finalists get to send a dvd? I thought all 11 of us were finalists. Bob
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Wrangler

It will be the same as all other contests...I send about half of the submissions on to the outside judge...sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but that's roughly how it works out....

keep in mind that without a preliminary screening process, it would be very, very difficult to enlist outside judges. as it is, they spend many volunteer hours getting this done...
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Trustee

OK, when will you send upload information for submitting our final entry as I will be on travel Nov 15 - Nov 19th. Bob
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi Meryem:

A DVD works well with me, if it comes to that.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I like the idea:

DVD or Blu Ray???
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Major Player

It is OK for me.

I have one question.
After discussions and comments on the last film-round, it will be tempting to make utterly corrections on the films before the DVD/MPEG2 production.
Will that be allowed?
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Wrangler

no, no variations will be allowed based on feedback...you can make all the changes that you want after the contest is over...
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
OK, when will you send upload information for submitting our final entry as I will be on travel Nov 15 - Nov 19th. Bob
so Bob, I stepped over your question...having a bit of a challenge with the convergence of short and long form contests here!

i am thinking about a 200 mb limit on these files...if no one has any objections to that size, i'll go ahead and send around the uploading instructions...i've been a little bit fuzzy on this myself, mostly around the "number of players versus file size conundrum..."

but i think this file size will mean that this challenge will take up about the same bandwidth as our average short form, with this number of players.

if you have an old email from a shortform contest from this year, you can use that uploading password, it has not changed...otherwise, i'll get this sent 'round this week to all of you.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Trustee

Oops,

I've just finished the final render to my entry: 33 minutes, 500 mb. If the 250 mb limit is official, I'm due in for some bit-rate tweaking.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge