A Big Huzzah to Long Form Finishers - The Giant Feedback Thread - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #31
Major Player

Bob- Wow! I’m amazed and encouraged that you could put together something this good with such a narrow shooting window and only seven tapes. I shot dozens and didn’t come up with nearly as many “keepers”. I do think the video could have benefited from having twice the budget, though- so you could have hired me to follow you around and carry the tripod (Ha!). I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with the Machu Pichu footage and to where else your travels may take you. I think there are many interesting places on this planet that would well benefit from a Bob Safay video!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Major Player

Rob- I’m sorry about your health and family problems at the end. I’m sure they contributed to a couple of rough spots (like a dropped frame, which I’m sure you’ve probably already mended). I didn’t notice them at all on first viewing because the story is so interesting and the camerawork and editing so very good. I’m sure the Trust as well as Cliveden’s visitors will be quite pleased. I’m glad your father was able to watch and enjoy this; it’s really very good.
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #33
Major Player

Dale- I know with everything happening things didn’t turn out exactly as you originally planned, but I think you have produced a video any falconry lover will love. I hope you will be able to add a little more to make it easier for a general audience to follow. Much of the jargon and many of the activities portrayed won’t be clear to someone that knows nothing about falconry. I’d like to see a short “what is falconry and what do falconers do” type Introduction, as well as an explanation of the terms later used in the clips. Best wishes with the broadcast deal. Let us know how it works out!
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #34
Major Player

Finn-Erik - I thought your Round 4 video was very good. I’m amazed at how many small improvements you have since made and the huge cumulative effect. Thank-you for the English voice over (I enjoyed listening to the Norse). I think you have all of us outclassed in one important area. This video has very wide appeal. I think anyone that watches will enjoy it. Good luck on your (and Tone’s) next big project. I hope I get a chance to see it!
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #35
Major Player

Marj- I enjoyed watching your video. I believe you intend to do more work on it and don’t consider it completed so I’d like to offer some suggestions in that vein. I’d like to hear a few words in the Introduction about the wider field of Biomathematics to give context to the geometry that follows; for example the predominance of math in such diverse fields as physiology, animal behaviour, and population dynamics. You did a good job of showing a diverse mix of organisms in the Introduction. By the time we get to the Conclusions, however, all we see are plants. I think it would be good to mix in a few animal clips again at that point. There are a couple of places where you lose focus, notably the general introduction to honeybees. The information is good (and very well done) but isn’t really germane to the subject. I think you can trim a bit here and gain time for the other topics. The voice over turned out very nice and I loved the Nautilus animation. All in all, a very pleasing general introduction to a fascinating subject.

I would seriously consider changing the title to avoid theological implications…
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #36
Major Player

Steve- And you were worried early on about weaving your disparate segments into a cohesive whole! Well done. I especially enjoyed the nostalgic bit. Was that Audubon Guide really your first field guide? I’ve always loved Pope’s paintings. My first was Zim’s. I still treasure it although it is unusable, having fallen into the swamp with me. (I saved the binos by tossing them into the boat as I fell, but years later I wish I’d saved the book instead.) I remember the first time I saw Ungava listed in a range description and had to dig out the atlas. What a hoot! Where do I sign up for the official “Where the hell is Ungava?” tee-shirt?
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #37
Major Player

Vidar, Per Johan, Chris, Bryce, Jennie, Mihali, Mat, Annie, Kevin, Markus, Jeff, Geir Inge, Andrew and Mike-

I miss you all terribly here at the end. You all have such compelling projects. I sincerely hope each of you is able to complete them outside of the restrictions of the Challenge. Please don’t forget to share with your friends at UWOL. My best wishes and good luck to all of you.
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #38
Trustee

Hi Dale:

My downloading finally cooperated and I was able to complete viewing your film. Wow. I am so amazed. You did a beautiful job. I think what gets me the most is the bond between you and your bird. What hard work, both in falconry and in making of this film. You are one strong person to come against everything you did this year, and complete this film. Thank you for this amazing and beautiful effort. Your guitar skills are the best!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Vidar, Per Johan, Chris, Bryce, Jennie, Mihali, Mat, Annie, Kevin, Markus, Jeff, Geir Inge, Andrew and Mike-

I miss you all terribly here at the end. You all have such compelling projects. I sincerely hope each of you is able to complete them outside of the restrictions of the Challenge. Please don’t forget to share with your friends at UWOL. My best wishes and good luck to all of you.
Hear, Hear! And Cheers!

And a toast to the completed films this round.... somehow, when I wasn't looking, you all became top notch and professional film makers!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #40
Major Player

Mike,
Watching your film is being guided through a unique set of biomes by someone who knows them well. Expertise is in every sentence, and your voice over is pleasing and easy to listen to. How were you able to find so many hummingbird nests, and obscure invertebrates? Although the scenes with the vulture head in flight are a little cheesy, I think you knew that when you did them, and since they are presented in good fun, they don't detract at all. My favorite part, by far is your overlay of bird song. These were perfectly done with little evidence they were edited in. They made it feel like being there, and it was fun trying to identify them.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #41
Major Player

Rob,
I'm always fascinated by the natural history of Britain, and how much is contained in small spaces. You did an admirable job of explaining what was there to be seen, and getting it to fit into the estate's history. If Gilbert White had done a video, your's would be it.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi Mike - thanks so much for your feedback on my film. I will respond to it on my own thread so as not to clutter this one.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Marge,

All I can say is, "WORLD CLASS". What an inspiration!! Per Johan inspired me to work harder at my compositions and images. Your work has inspired me to work harder with my after effects, which to be honest I have hardly ever used.

this should be manditory for science classes and math classes!!

there is a Market out there!!

What a huge effort!!!! It is awesome.
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #44
Major Player

Steve, you are a master storyteller. everything about this film hit the spot for me - great clean footage, massive amounts of wonderful bird species and behaviours, amazing history (that I knew nothing about!) backed up with great illustrations and images. This is indeed the result of a lifetime's passion, and you convey it with humour and honest enthusiasm. I love the way you managed to keep the flow and interest going throughout the time - 50 mins is an amazing feat. The v/o was warm and personal too, like sitting and listening to a friend.

I salute you, sir!!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Bob,
What an amazing experience your trip to the Galapagos Islands must have been.
Your film made me feel as if I was there with you. Thank you!
Very well narrated, and so facinating to watch all those different animals.

Have you thought about selling this to tv? You should!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge