UWOL #16 "Norwegian fjords and mountains" by Trond Saetre - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Per Johan,
Yes I was surprised of the steady footage, concidering the bumpy roads we have over here. I had the tripod as low as I could, and tightly fastened between the dashboard and the front passenger seat.

Point taken about the (lack of) varied shots.

Mat,
Thank you very much for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed watching it.
The sound quality of the VO was a concern as I have mentioned (and others also have commented).
I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the location I used to record the VO. Re-recording the VO again in my usual place last week, gave a much better sound quality.
Probably a good time and cause for me to learn more about audio editing now. :)

The flat lighting, can this be because the constantly changing light conditions, and the camera on "auto"?
I chose full auto this time, since it would be impossible to check and/or correct the settings while I was driving. Could probably had improved the flat lighting a bit in post.

Based on all the feedback, I have desided to make a new/improved version next time I drive the same route. (hopefully it won't rain that day, haha)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #17
Trustee

Trond

VO - Make sure you record in a carpeted room with all the curtains closed and the more soft furnishings the better! - Position the mic above your mouth (12-15cms) and about 30cms away. - This should help a lot.

Light. When are you shooting this ? - Shoot either early or late on a bright day. Colours and shadows(depth) will come through much better.

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thank you Mat!

The audio tips are most welcome!
Mics I have is the Shure SM58, the Rode Videomic (this one often gives the best VO sound quality for some reason, thought the Shure would give best result), and the built in mic on the Canon XM2 (last choice).

This was recorded in the worst time of the day (for light). The beginning around 10am, and the end almost 1pm. Normally I pay attention to the general (do not shoot between about 10am to about 2-3pm) rule.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #19
Trustee

No problem fella. I hope it gives you good results.

I know what you mean. Its not always possible to film when you want to and not always best anyway. But I think if you always keep it in mind your work will benefit.

I look forward to seeing the results !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Tronde,

Well, I just had to go back and review these and read some of the posts.

I still have my canon gl2 and love that camera. Here is a thought about the slightly flat video mat mentioned.

The xm2/gl2 if you use automatic and auto white balance it will give you a slightly flatter image to be sure. I believe canon did this so that it kind of goes down the middle of the road.
This kind of video needs to be adjusted slightly in post to Pop things. what editing suite do you use!!!

Mat is right about the time to shoot, however sometimes we can't pick those times and have to go with what we have available.

I still very much enjoyed it. I always watch to enjoy as a non camera guy first, second time through critique and the third time I go back and enjoy and look for the really good stuff. You had penty of that.

dale
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Dale,
Thank you. I use Adobe Premiere CS3 (the production premium suite) for editing.
Yes, a little post work with the image could be good. I'll look into that. Full auto during shooting was the only option I had.
I'm wondering if the front window of the car also had something to do with the flat image, and?
Normally I am pretty happy with the image quality from the XM2, even in full auto, but I agree about the auto going "middle of the road".
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge