DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   BREAKING NEWS! Mat Thompson is a 2010 Panda finalist! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/480373-breaking-news-mat-thompson-2010-panda-finalist.html)

Meryem Ersoz June 14th, 2010 11:25 AM

BREAKING NEWS! Mat Thompson is a 2010 Panda finalist!

Wildscreen Festival 2010:*Panda Award finalists 2010

Scroll down on the link posted above, and you'll see that our own Mat Thompson, our beloved multi-champion and UWOL designer is a finalist for the BBC Newcomer of the Year Award for his film "Hudson's Monarch" -

The Panda, for those of you who may not know, is the Academy Award for wildlife cinematography.

Congratulations, Mat - a real testament to what hard work, determination, and perserverance can accomplish. You are an amazing shooter, as we all know. And now it appears that the rest of the world is about to know it, too!

The film itself is in black-out until its future is determined, but here is hoping that this opportunity is just the beginning of seeing all of Mat's hard work pay off...it is great to see Mat's dreams come true and to think that UWOL gave him an initial nudge towards finding his way.

We are all rooting for you, Mat! Awesome job. This is huge. And, while we are sharing the love -- thanks for all you have done 'round here to help everyone else bring their visions to life, as well.

Chris Barcellos June 14th, 2010 11:47 AM

Wow..... Congratulations on the nomination Mat !!!!!

Mike Sims June 14th, 2010 12:42 PM

Great news! Way to go Mat!

Ron Chant June 14th, 2010 02:15 PM

Congratulations Matt.....

BBC Newcomer Award

137 Carving the Future
Filmmakers - Guy Ryan & Nick Holmes (New Zealand) 25:00
164 Love in Cold Blood
Filmmakers - Carla Braun-Elwert & Jane Adcroft (New Zealand) 25:00
228 Hudson's Monarch
Filmmaker - Mat Thompson (United Kingdom) 13:05

Per Johan Naesje June 14th, 2010 11:47 PM

Thatīs great news! Wow.
As Meryem, says this is huge. Thanks a lot Mat for being part of this great community. And keep us updated how this is going.

Trond Saetre June 15th, 2010 06:17 AM

Congratulations Mat!!
Keep us updated.

Mike Beckett June 15th, 2010 06:34 AM

Mat - well done on this, even to be nominated is excellent! The quality of your work for UWOL has always been outstanding, something for people like me to only dream of.

You deserve this, fella!

Dale Guthormsen June 15th, 2010 07:01 AM

Matt,

Well, I am not surprised, you do awesome work. I hope the judicaters make the right choice, well the only choice in my book.

dale

Geir Inge June 15th, 2010 09:27 AM

Congrats my friend - way to go :)

Markus Nord June 15th, 2010 11:05 AM

Congratulations Mat!
That's so cool

Marj Atkins June 16th, 2010 03:37 AM

Wonderful, wonderful news Mat! We are all very proud of you. As others have said, judging by the high standard of work you produce - this is well-earned!

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2010 06:48 AM

Hey guys.

Many, many thanks :-)

As I'm sure you'll expect I'm chuffed to bits. Two years of work went into Hudson's Monarch and its so nice it will be put on such a big platform. The film is structured around the victorian naturalist W H Hudson and his writings on the stag beetle, it then looks at the stag beetles life cycle.

This is the films synopsis.

"It's not very often you chance upon royalty, but every year a warm Summer's evening in the South East of England may just reveal it. A monarch among hexapods was how the naturalist W H Hudson described the Stag beetle in his book Hampshire Days (1902). Its seasonal fleeting appearance hides an intriguing 6 year life cycle, a cycle which is now under threat. Hudson's Monarch takes you on a trip underground, overground and into the air, revealing the details of this elusive yet majestic insect's life."

I'll try and post some stills into the main uwol forum soon and maybe a sequence or two from the film.

Many thanks
Mat

Bob Safay June 16th, 2010 07:03 AM

Matt, congradulations, what an honor. We are all very proud of you. Bob

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2010 02:22 PM

Thanks Bob!

Some screen grabs have been posted in the main forum as promised.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-wa...ml#post1539201

Rob Evans June 17th, 2010 08:24 AM

Go for it Mat!!!