New challenge soon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

New challenge soon?

Hey guys and gals
It's been a while since last (official) uwol challenge, so I am wondering when next one is coming up?
Meryem, any wise words from the uwol queen?
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Perhaps this whole competition needs a rethink, and the responsibility of running it on a regular basis should be split between interested people - if this "will it be on, won't it?" attitude keeps going on people will just get fed up and stop even worrying about getting involved, which would be a big shame.

Maybe if volunteers could take a round each to "marshal" , they then setup the threads & decide the theme. Videos could be uploaded to youtube/vimeo areas and judged there. Judging would then take place by all of those people who have entered - you could be given a number of points to distribute between your top three choices for example. The marshal then coordinates the results and announces the winner.

I'd hope perhaps that something like this would allow these competitions to keep running, without the organisational obstacles and time commitments that I'm guessing are reason for the current downturn in frequency.....

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

The contest is going through a re-think, Rob.

In its first couple of years, the contest ran every other month, leaving me only about 10 days between Challenges to be free of the responsibilities of UWOL. What takes the players 3 weeks to accomplish takes me about six, from start to finish . And that has been with the support of Kevin and Mat.

The contest has produced around 400 films from every corner of the globe. It has been source of inspiration and has brought us all in touch with so many awesome people from all over the world.

I should have announced a change of UWOL leadership at the beginning of this year, but it is not so easy to let go of something that I put so much of my own energy, vision, and enthusiasm into. UWOL has helped a lot of our players bring their dreams to life. But it is time for me to reel in some energy to focus on a dream or two of my own.

I can tell you this: this won't run well by committee. It may, for a short time, but I've watched those types of efforts fail repeatedly. Every successful contest needs is a committed leader. You all need someone who is accountable, someone who will listen to your praises and complaints and criticisms and insights.

UWOLers know intimately that everything has its season, and it is time for me to step aside and let someone else renew the Challenge. New blood will bring the much-needed injection of fresh energy and enthusiasm that the contest needs. I'll run one more of these, as my swan song, and then pass the torch.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You have done a fantastic job, Meryem!
A big thank you for that!!

Rob, I think you have a nice concept there, and we have already kinda seen this with the 2 "unofficial" fun challenges we had recently.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Major Player

You did a very good job for a very long time, Meryem. We all thank you for it. My video career is much different (and better) now than it was before UWOL. You helped me prove that I can do the work.

Muchas gracias.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

you have done some amazing work as well, Steve, grown a ton in your craft, and are a testament to what you can achieve when you stay with your art, consistently, over the long haul - thank you for your contribution to the game.
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Back from the lake and checked out the list to find this thread. I understand where everyone is coming from. Meryem has done the job for three years, and, jusitfiably, probably could use a rest. It would also be nice for her to perhaps produce a few for the challenge as a competitor.

One person at the helm with support is always the best structured approach.

Most months of the year I have ample time so I can offer my time in whatever capacity.

It is the least I can do considering everything everyone has done for me.

We can't thank Meryem enough, if she wants a break lets give it to her on the premise she stays checked in, eh?

dale
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dale, I would be happy to help as well. This next year will be pretty busy at work, but I will help as much as I can.
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I am headed out for the week, deaf camp is a most exciting time at the lake impowering youth by doing new things.

I was hoping to see a uwol sign up thread before I left.

What's UP Doc?

Someone needs to step forward.

be back on this next sunday.

dale
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Wrangler

you're being a little reactive, Dale.

the sign-up thread will appear at the end of this month, as they always do. theme will be announced on the first of the month, as they typically are. be ready to shoot in September.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Thank-you for the heads-up, Meryem. I will try to be ready for September. I’m still saddened by the news that you will be retiring from UWOL. The Challenge has helped so many of us grow and we have to recognize that it has been a growing experience for you as well. Sometimes growth takes us away from the things we love. I’ll save the heart-felt thanks and tearful fair-thee-wells for a future thread and merely consol myself with the knowledge that you wouldn’t be leaving us unless you were leaving us in good hands!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Maybe this old video sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4GfRQSE-Ak
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #13
Major Player

I beg to differ Bill.

We are merely in a state of change and need to give Meryem, Kevin and Mat the time and space to work things out so that the hand-over is done in an organized fashion.

Marj

Last edited by Marj Atkins; August 11th, 2010 at 04:43 AM.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #14
Wrangler

there is a plan in place, still evolving, which we will announce at the next sign-up thread. thank you for your patience.
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Well,

I misunderstood, I thought the challenge was in August, not signup and in September. That being the case, all is in order in the universe.

I should have known Meryem would organize things to the T, like she always does!!

I am just hoping this change will give her the time to relax asnd build some challenges herself!!

Looking forward to see what she has up for us all!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge