DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/484139-uwol-17-tales-wonder-woe.html)

Mike Beckett September 1st, 2010 09:02 AM

UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe!

(Just don't want to clutter up the sign up/theme threads)

My biggest tale of woe is I can't take part in this, I am off travelling in a couple of days.

Meryem, I would just like to thank you for all the hard work that you have put in for UWOL over the years. You and the participants have inspired me to get out there, make films, and generally improve my techniques, so I am now "less amateur" than before.

You deserve a break and from the looks of it you have plenty of exciting projects to work on.

UWOL has brought tears, laughter, plenty of "wow" moments, jealousy of other people's skills and environments, and an over-proliferation of incredibly talented and good-looking Norwegians. Where else would you get it? And for free, as well!

Thanks again, from the Emerald Isle!

Meryem Ersoz September 1st, 2010 11:50 AM

Glad to see Wonder and Woe is already up and running...

You're welcome, Mike. I'd also invite you and anyone else who already has played the game to submit a non-competitive entry, if you just want to play along...the more the merrier.

In my nostalgic review, I should have also included all the UWOL-induced injuries - infected foot, sprained ankles, shoulder injuries...you people play to win.

Mike Beckett September 1st, 2010 12:17 PM

UWOL #16 gave me a nettle sting that took a month to go away completely.

Never send an Irishman out in shorts!

Bill Thesken September 1st, 2010 12:27 PM

I woke up early to read the theme, clicking on the link was like opening up a present on Christmas morning. Then I went out back to watch the sunrise. Renewal. A great theme Meryem.

Trond Saetre September 1st, 2010 12:43 PM

Began new job today, well same job as before, just different airport. Got tons of stuff to read and learn the next month. Hopefully I find time for this interesting theme as well. Can't fail Meryem's last uwol.

Mike, bring the camera with you. Maybe you find a minute here and there to shoot something.

Per Johan Naesje September 2nd, 2010 09:26 AM

Mike, sorry to hear that you canŽt participate! And thanks for your comment about good looking Norwegians. At my age comments like that is heartwarming :)

Well, I have been thinking very much the last day about this mysterious theme Meryem picked for this round! As english not being my tongue language, I have some difficulties finding what RENEW means to us uwolers! Could someone please enlighten me?

Catherine Russell September 2nd, 2010 09:56 AM

Hi Per:

Ah yes! Playing in a second language gets challenging sometimes! You Norwegians are so good at writing and speaking English, we forget this.

Our English dictionary gives some other words for renewal: revive, restore, renew, refresh, renovate, rejuvenate. Does this help at all? So renewal is like making something new again. It is also like starting again on something, like to repeat over.

So Meryem has handed out quite a wonderful theme, because there are many different ways you can approach it! Nicely done!

Hope this helps Per! If not, shout out and we will try again!

Cato

P.S. Come on Mike! What could be more "renewing" than traveling! We know you'll have your camera along, so just fire back a little something for fun!

Also, in response to some comments in the now closed sign up thread:

1) Victor, the goats are doing well! Zac, one of the twins, was bit on the ear by a rattlesnake earlier this summer but is doing fine! I'm afraid rattlesnakes are a part of summer life around here.

2) Ruth! I'm thrilled you have signed on! We have so much catching up to do, don't you think? I've missed you!

3) Bill... don't you think the shark tank is sufficient humiliation than also having to wear a "scarlet letter" of "bark is worse than bite"? Where is your mercy? ;-)

Bill Thesken September 2nd, 2010 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I hope we don't need too many of these...

Mike Beckett September 2nd, 2010 03:05 PM

Well I'm travelling light, so editing and uploading is the problem. I'll miss the deadline, but if I can manage something then you never know - better late than never!

Bill Thesken September 2nd, 2010 03:26 PM

Mike, all kidding aside, we don't want to miss out on a good Irish tale, so here's hoping you can get some footage from your travels to share. The film 'A Volcanic Journey' was a good one.
By the way there is a photographer on the west coast of Ireland you may know, and there is a short film about him posted here you might enjoy:

YouTube - Short Stories - DARK SIDE OF THE LENS

Catherine Russell September 2nd, 2010 05:17 PM

HA! ... and what an adorable pooch! :)

Kevin Railsback September 2nd, 2010 09:08 PM

Well, I've come up with a story idea.
I've also come up with a shot that I think would be super sweet but very difficult to pull off and have it look right.

So, I guess this weekend will be spend seeing if it's even possible to shoot what I see in my head.
I've seen it in mainstream movies before but I haven't seen any "indie" type films pull it off.

Will try to think of an alternate shot that will convey the same idea but not as complex to pull off in case I can't figure out how to do this one.

Might have to call in some people to pick their brain on how to pull it off.

But I think it's a solid story, something that a lot of my fluff pieces lack. So imagine that, a fluff piece with a story. Huh, who would have thought? :)

Per Johan Naesje September 3rd, 2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Russell (Post 1565397)

Our English dictionary gives some other words for renewal: revive, restore, renew, refresh, renovate, rejuvenate. Does this help at all? So renewal is like making something new again. It is also like starting again on something, like to repeat over.

Thanks so much Cato, that helped me a lot :)
Time to go into the think-tank, IŽll be at work this weekend, but next week is laying ahead just waiting for some recording options!

Trond Saetre September 3rd, 2010 05:26 AM

Nice pictures, Bill!

I'm busy with work the next week. Hopefully I can find time to start thinking about uwol by next Friday.

Good luck to everyone!

Dale Guthormsen September 5th, 2010 07:56 PM

Good Evening,

Leave it to Meryem to come up with the toughest theme in my book!!

I have only thunk up one idea and it would be far to familiar for the crew to have to watch.

We spent 4 hours in the vehicle today and the wife and I hashed it about, nothing yet!!!

Hoping you all have better ideas than I do!!!

Arre you Pondering what I am Pondering?