UWOL #17 A River Flows - Mike Duvall at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #1
New Boot

UWOL #17 A River Flows - Mike Duvall

I have been silently watching and admiring since UWOL #3 and never got the courage up to attempt this. As stated before my day job is training/motivational videos but I do enjoy wildlife, hiking, kayaking and like Kevin "geocaching". Side note, I just found my 1000th cache!
I had decided before the theme was announced that I'd focus on the Duck River which is only a few minutes from home. This river was featured in the Jan/Feb issue of National Geographic magazine. I decided to go with the story of the state scenic section which the government spent $83 million on the Columbia dam then decided to abandon the project to save the endangered species in the area. I guess that's a renewal of life. So maybe I wasn't off topic by much?
Was planning on uploading a higher rez file but I'm having internet issues which has made that impossible. The video was shot on an old DVX100A and all hand-held.
Hopefully this will be the first of many as I had fun on the river getting the footage and cutting it all together.
Thanks for allowing me to contribute!
Mike Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mike,

Nicely done, the script was informative and nicely paced. I think it would have been better to use the map earlier and do a zoom in on it to a location you next display. Certainly a lot to get in a three minute video!!

I would to see more of your work in the future.

1000 geocaches is enough, time to film more, eh???
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Mike,
Very nice piece for your first nature video, a lot of information and a hopeful message. Are there still ducks on the Duck River?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Wrangler

geez, Mike, lurking since UWOL #3 - what took you so long??? this was a really nice start, informative and visually appealing. with a nice start like this, just imagine how you could have developed with another 14 rounds. and a long-form entry....

just kidding...it is always great to get a newcomer in the game, especially enjoyable to see more images from our beautiful southern states.

your VO was competing with your soundtrack, beginning around your mention of the TVA...you'll want to drop the soundtrack below your voice to get a better blend...

best of luck with your future entries. thanks for finally jumping in...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Mike,

First of all, I'm glad you jumped in. The waters not nearly as cold as you first think it is. :)

You'll find that all of us are in a constant state of learning. UWOL is a perfect vehicle for that. The fact that there is so many interpretations of the themes shows me that I always need to keep an open mind and try to think differently. So welcome!

That being said, I think you did a great job on your piece. My only note was that on my system I thought the music was a little high and competed with your voiceover a bit. But, just might be my system. Whoops, just read Meryem's note so maybe it was an issue.

Congrats on your 1k cache! I'm no where near that. But it do love geocaching.

I think you produced a very strong entry. Even more impressive is that it's your first one! Great job!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Mike. Well done! I really enjoyed watching your video. Your voice-over delivery is so smooth it gave the piece the feel of a public service announcement. Most importantly, at the end it left me with the desire to go there and see it for myself. Nice. I had seen the NG article but got too busy to read it. You can bet I’ll go back and read it now. I hope your first UWOL has been a positive experience for you and that we get to see more. There are lots of great stories to tell from your neck of the woods. (I can see a geocaching video coming- it’s just a matter of time until we get a theme that it’s perfect for!) Congratulations on a wonderful first entry.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:33 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for all the nice comments and of course the suggestions on improvements. I really wish I'd committed to more time on the river shooting footage. Steve's comment "are there still ducks on the Duck River?" was an appropriate question. It really would've made sense to include a duck or two. Wood ducks are the largest group found there but the one's I saw while shooting were flying away from me : ) And I should have included mussel footage also.
Mike, if I do a geocaching film I promise to reveal the contents of the box!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Mike, there's a geocache in Illinois I think it is called The Journal. It's a 5/5. Search for it on geocaching.com maybe if you're ever in the neighborhood we could give that one a try one day.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Mike,

First of all, a big warm welcome to the UWOL family! I'm glad you finally joined in.
Very nice, crisp colors, and your story is great and interesting. You tell the story well.
I look forward to see more of your future films.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Mike, welcome. What a way to start. Your first video and it is very well done. I go through that part of Tennesse every once and awhile and it is beautiful country there. It was a good storyline about the TVA stopping the dam and then the renewal of the river. I am also going to go back to that NG story. You have a great voice for narration, but like the others already said the background is a bit high. So, now that you are hooked, ready for the next one? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Well I just watched it and it is very smooth. What great country that is. The storytelling style was very structured throughout. Very informative with a good ending. Nice color. I may have to try copying this type of structure in a future UWOL.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Trustee

Mike!

Welcome! You have so much to contribute to our little forum. I found this mini-documentary extremely well done, informative and best of all... uplifting! How many river documentaries of we seen that is nothing but sad news about a dying river. Thank you for this.

I found this film brings lots to the table. The choice of music was excellent and really fit the story and set the theme. I also find your voice very pleasant to listen to, you and Bob have that talent in common. I also thought the script was very well written. I personally find script-writing difficult and you have the knack for dispensing lots of documentary information in a easy going and flowing manner.... like the river you speak of. I also found your visuals well done and pleasing to the eye. Was that you fishing on the river? I think that was the most uplifting scene of the entire clip and fit perfectly with what you were saying right then... that so many thousands of acres had been given back to the people of Tennessee with species protection and a new name for the river.

Well done Mike. The only critical note has already been pointed out in that the music could have been toned down a touch to bring out your voice. But no need to pile on here. I was still able to hear what you had to say.

Now the question of the day... I have no clue as to what Geo-caching is.

My family on my mother's side grew up in Tennessee; my mom went to Lambuth University. We are practically family.

Looking forward to your next entry.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #13
New Boot

Catherine, For a great explanation of geocaching watch Kevin's UWOL #2 entry. And the comment post goes into more detail.
The guy fishing was not me. Just one of the natives getting ready to float the river. We had a good conversation and he agreed to be my talent.
I have to admit and I should have thought of this before. I can take no credit for the script. Most of it was taken from sources online. Several sites related to the TN wildlife management area pretty much explain the same story with greater detail. Guess that might disqualify the video but I did want to get the numbers and dates right. I apologize.
During the building of the dam I was excited about having a home close to a lake, a nice bass boat possibly and lots of fun in the sun. But, I wouldn't trade what we have now for any lake. Trails to hike, an abundance of wildlife to enjoy, caves to explore, the river to fish and kayak and the peace and quite that would have been lost forever along with several plant and animal species.
Thanks to all for the voice compliments. I personally don't like it but guess that's normal. The track was run at 104% just to make it not sound like me : ) I actually have a much deeper voice.
I do look forward to contributing again. I've received a warm welcome and it is appreciated. Thank you.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey Mike:

No apologies necessary. In this forum, as long as you give credit for an outside source you're good to go. If you didn't think to do it this round, I don't have the final say, but it's your first entry and I would think that could slide this time.

Nice to have you on board.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge