DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   uwol 18 The Wildlife film maker and the Artist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/487868-uwol-18-wildlife-film-maker-artist.html)

Mick Jenner November 22nd, 2010 10:24 AM

uwol 18 The Wildlife film maker and the Artist

Hi all,

Well this is my first entry so please go gently with me.
Not all went plan as out of the blue I had to be away for part of the time, but I hope I have managed to put together something watchable.

Looking forward to your comments

Mick

Chris Barcellos November 22nd, 2010 10:38 AM

Great idea for the theme. The piece was very interesting and I love how you detailed how her work on the painting was so finely detailed.

Per Johan Naesje November 22nd, 2010 04:18 PM

Mick, that was a very original way of making your film following the theme! And I loved it very much. She was a very talented artist in my eyes! Interesting to listen to her telling about her way of working.

Your footage of the woodpecker was also brilliant. I think you almost beat me on the focal length on this one!

Keep it up. Looking forward to your next installment.

Mat Thompson November 22nd, 2010 06:06 PM

Hi Mick

It's great you've got a uwol piece finished.

As everyone here know I try and give honest critiques. I hope you are ok with that.

Your woody footage was lovely. Well controlled with great close-ups. I liked the overall concept and thought it was a new and interesting thing to bring to uwol. I found the link to the painting a little weak but understandable. The sequence with the painter I found poorly handled as I wasn't really sure who the painter was because I didn't really see her face (talking/expressions etc) until 2:30 - This sort of shot should have been in there right at the start to establish her more. I also found your initial question didn't let her begin to speak soon enough. Indeed it may well of been better to cut your voice and get her to paraphrase if needed.

Nice piece and I do love those pecker close-ups!

Mat

Mick Jenner November 23rd, 2010 03:28 AM

Hi Per and Chris
Thanks for your comments. The close ups of the woodpecker was recorded with a JVC700 with 70-300mm nikon lens

Mat,
Your honest critique is quite ok
I have to agree with you re the artist section particularly going from an estabishing shot to a close up for so long . As I said on my posting I was called away for a big part of the challenge. My original script was to look back over the past few years at intimate moments of our wildlife encounters. This would have included footage talking to friends we have made over the years recounting our best watching or other memorable encounters, finishing with the woodpecker close up filmed the begining of November. Julie was to have been a small part of this recalling how we bought a painting of a Cheetah from her and another clip showing the painting followed by some clips of friends talking about the first time we saw a cheetah in Kenya. Luckily we had recorded Julies bit, plus thank goodness a lot more, before I had to go away. On my return I was unable to rearrange the filming of our other friends. Therefore I set too and cobbled together what I had in the can in order to submit and entry, the only way for it to make any sense was to place the clps in the order I did.

Mick

Markus Nord November 23rd, 2010 10:00 AM

Hi Mike... I think Mat covered my thoughts... so no need to write that again... I just want to say that I really liked the woodpecker closeups...

Markus

Trond Saetre November 23rd, 2010 10:12 AM

Hi Mick,

The woodpecker shots are priceless! The details are amazing.
Agree with Mat about the painter. But all in all, a good video!
Looking forward to see your next one.

Dale Guthormsen November 23rd, 2010 10:25 AM

Mick,

Intersting link to "in detail". I liked seeing her actually applying the details of her craft to the fox portrait, just needed more variety of shots. I agree with what Mat said as well.

As everyone has said the the wood pecker was unpecable. Really really nice!!

Great to have another finisher and I hope to see more of your work!!!

Mike Sims November 23rd, 2010 05:29 PM

Howdy, Mick and welcome! You had an interesting idea contrasting the videography and the painting. Nice shots of the woodpecker. Too bad she wasn’t working on a painting of a woodpecker. That would have really iced the cake! (or perhaps if you had a spare fox lying around to video) I would have liked to see a full frame scan of the painting she was working on at the end but perhaps it wasn’t dry yet. I hope this was fun for you and that we see you back next time.

Rich Ryan November 24th, 2010 09:32 AM

Mick, welcome to UWOL from another (relative) new comer. This was a nice first entry - I hope we see more from you.

As others have stated the opening scenes with the woodpecker are really well done. The interview was a little weaker. Did you use two cameras or shoot the interview twice? This would have been a perfect opportunity to use a PIP: the main shot showing her work and the inset showing her face as she was talking. I found the volume change between her voice and yours a bit distracting perhaps a different microphone placement might have minimized that.

Mick Jenner November 24th, 2010 10:07 AM

Hi all

Thanks for watching and coming up with some very constructive comments. I have taken as many of these as I can on board and re-edited the artist section. I have posted it as "uwol 18 revisted and re-edited" in this forum.
Rick, the interview was only recorded once on one camera with me behind the mic, It was never intended to be used in the way it was with my original script. Only one small recording was to be used (not used in either of these edits) I just recorded the other bits with her for fun. As I posted earlier I was then unexpectedly away for most of the time and cobbled together quickly the entry with what I had already recorded.

Mick

Bill Thesken November 24th, 2010 04:48 PM

Nice woodpecker footage. I have always been a fan of that type of bird, but have never seen one in real life. It was cool how you took your wildlife outline (establishing shot, mid range, and close up) and applied that to your artist in the studio.

Catherine Russell November 24th, 2010 09:57 PM

Hey Mick:

Welcome to UWOL, friend! I am thrilled to be getting to your feedback thread. You have talent. Your opening with the woodpecker, as stated by all, is as good as it gets. What artistry in film. We will like to see more of your cinematography the next round. I also so very much appreciate your serious attention to the theme. You went after this in an exceptionally creative fashion. I love your interpretation.

I have watched this film many times. What has struck me as a potentially powerful way of integrating the exceptional work of the painter/illustrator is this:

Wouldn't it be fun to use a split screen showing at the same time her painting an animal and your film of the same animal, happening at the same time juxtaposed and comparing the two artistic endeavors in the same frames? You could break it up with closeups of her face explaining how and why she is doing what she is doing and then go back to the split screen of the two art forms of the same animal occurring at once. You could also break it up with footage of you explaining how and why you are doing what you do to get the perfect shots... like you were explaining in the opening with your VO.

Mick, I see this as having great potential. I found the comparing of both art forms, and the apparent mastery of both forms creative, inspirational and enlightening.

Bring it on for UWOL 19!

Best,

Cat

Mick Jenner November 25th, 2010 03:02 AM

Hi Bill and Cat,

Thanks very much for looking and your kind and constructive comments.

Cat, thank you so much for taking on running the challenge and coming up with such a good theme

I have enjoyed the exprience and the buzz you get from entering the challenge and will certainly be around for uwol 19

Mick

Marj Atkins November 26th, 2010 12:01 PM

Welcome to Uwol Mick - you have contributed to the feedback here for quite some time but it’s really good to have you here as a player this time round!

I always do my feedback comments before reading what others have written but it seems we have all drawn similar conclusions.

What an appropriate, original take on the theme and what a great demonstration of the different shots one should take as a rule every time one is out filming a subject (if possible) so when it comes to editing one has maximum flexibility and choice.

You have captured exceptional detail on the Woodpecker. How far away were you when filming it?

Your interview has been covered very well here so I won’t labour the point but just to add that some of your ‘questions’ seemed more like suggestions or statements rather than questions.

For something quickly ‘cobbled together’ with footage not originally intended for the purpose, you certainly did an excellent job of editing!