UWOL18 | Caught & Released by Markus Nord - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Markus welcome back! Its really great to see another film from you after so long. While I can see good reason for it, it feels a bit strange not having your unique trademark – “Uwol Challenge WebTV” intro this time round. :)

This film is a portrait of tranquility - and silence. The story seems to steal across time with a dream-like quality: Nothing disturbs the mirror-like surface of the water - not even the slow moving boat creates much of a wake. The fisherman shows little movement or emotion and everything is done as if to disturb things in the least possible way and yet a fish was caught and landed and released again. Even the fish isn’t shown to flutter. Amazing.

Your camera work is as stunning out of water as it is under water – beautiful framing. I love the details you captured: the rings that spread out as the lure went in; the lure dancing under water; the fisherman’s hand; the outstanding, watery shot of the fish being taken out; the fish being released again. Very skilful.

The gentle music, the setting and the strong horizontal lines of the wide format of your film further emphasize the feeling of tranquility.

Wonderful film.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Major Player

Another excellent film. I don't think I can add anything to what has already been said. Like Chris I have never understood catch and release, but I'm glad to find there is a correct way of doing it.
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks girls...

Marj - Maybe next time it will be another "webTV"... this time I didn't have the time for that.
This day was the perfect day for shoting this type of film... and I think it turned out ok.

Annie - It is a few things that a fisherman need to think of to not harm the film... or at leased, do as litle harm as possible...

Thanks for watching

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Markus

Very pretty indeed. The lake shots were lovely however I felt the shots could have flowed more naturally into one another. You missed a good opportunity to pull focus on the first reveal of the boat.

I think your handling of the material and flow of your visual story telling is strong and it showed some real confidence. I also think your film was bang on the money with regards to theme. You show the detail of both worlds coming together in a very nice and revealing way. That said, to me you didn't have much filling in what was a very nice sandwich. The fish was being released before we'd really had much time to get into the fact you'd caught it. The main enjoyment the fisherman would have is in the catching of his quarry, so to make this bit so short/un-important made the rest of it seem kind of flat. As if you were just going through some robotic process.

That was a good size Perch....lovely fish!

Nice piece. I used to fish a lot as a kid (catch and release) although now I have to say I'm not sure how I feel about hunting fish for sport. As a kid it was indeed another factor that got me interested in the natural world and enjoying the outdoors. I guess now I'd prefer to dive into their world and enjoy them!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Mat
I agree that it was not that much filling in the sandwich, I did not get that much time to shot a catching of a fish sitting in the boat. The fisherman only got one fish and thats the one you se in all the shots (the swiming shot is taken after the release).
The focus pull shot is frim land and that is no fish in the boat at that time.
I also agree with enjoying the fish without getting cought, but hunting fish as a sport is big... So I'm working on a project to the how to handel the fish in the right way and so on. Fish will get cought in that production, but hopefully we'll teach how to do it in the "right way". It is an etical problem like in the thread about birdfeeding.

Thank you Mat for you words

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge