UWOL 18- σκορπιός- Mike Sims - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Finn-Erik. Every time I watch one of your videos I think "I need to get more camera angles". Thanks for reminding me. (Keep reminding me until I get it right!)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #17
Major Player

How long did you say you took you to throw this together!? Quite an accomplishment.
This is so interesting and informative.

Most of your shots are at the same distance from the subject and I had the feeling the reason may have been because the scorpion was in a box or something that you did not want to include in the shot. (I would have kept them in a box too!!! )

How about that - now I can locate scorpions anytime simply by switching to UV. Cool - glow-in the dark scorpions! I found a scorpion in my bathroom last night and another one outside today. Where can I find a UV light - I have to see this!? Mine are scorpionids - (thin-tailed/large pincer variety) so while the sting is sore it is not venomous. I know - one got into my bed a few years back - I woke with a nasty surprize!

What a fine shot of the scorpion with young on its back!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Marj. You are entirely correct about the limited camera angles because of the small size of the sets. It is particularly noticeable with the mother scorpion because her enclosure was purposely kept very small. You may also notice her substrate was very moist. This was to ensure that the babies were constantly at high relative humidity because otherwise they quickly perish. Building sets is something relatively new to me and these were very quickly made. I am experimenting (with another organism) with a set with removable sides to get shots of a short term captive in a burrow system to cut against shots of the unrestrained animals. I have limited success thus far.

Using ultraviolet lights has become the standard way to search for scorpions. I first encountered them being used in the Arizona desert thirty years ago for research. Now there is a great deal of collecting for the exotic pet trade and, with the very poisonous species, for antivenin production. Most species are easily bred in captivity so hopefully the growing pet trade won’t cause too many problems. You can buy special battery powered UV spotlights especially designed for searching for scorpions over the internet. I have seen small battery powered UV lamps (very inexpensive) listed on e-bay. The video was shot using a 24” 20 watt tube in a regular fluorescent light fixture. The tube cost no more than a regular white tube. I’m sure any specialty lighting and light bulb stockist can probably get you one. (Don’t buy an expensive one intended for use by mineralogists!)

Last edited by Mike Sims; November 26th, 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: used wrong tense
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Mike - I will have a look. I would find a small portable UV light very handy when out in the bush at night - just to scan the area where everone is sitting. Here it is advisable to wear closed shoes after dark when wandering outside in the bush because they are super fast if stood on. The problem ones are the one's with fat tails (Buthids) as they are venomous.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #20
Major Player

Around here we quickly get in the habit of shaking out our boots in the morning. I also had a friend who had an unfortunate experience in an outhouse (primitive latrine).
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge