DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   And the winners of UWOL 19 are... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/492409-winners-uwol-19-a.html)

Kenneth Wajda February 28th, 2011 01:49 PM

And the winners of UWOL 19 are...

Hello, Filmmakers.

I appreciate the talent and effort that went into all of these UWOL19 entries. Congratulations to you all for completing a film in competition.

I watched the eight entries and these are my picks for Winner, 1st Runner-Up and 2nd Runner-Up. They all worked well for the theme, "Motion".

WINNER
David Elkins - "Beach Ballet"
Beautiful cinematography. Gorgeous light in the opening shot. There was a complete story and it was well-narrated. I liked it and I learned something about these amazing animals. The music accentuated the production nicely. The close-ups let us really get in to see the details of these bizarre-looking creatures (that's what they say about us, too). As has been said many times: "Shoot Close Ups For Impact". This one did that well and that brought it to the top of the winner's list.

1st Runner-Up
Steve Siegel - "Feathery Physics"
Nice cinematography. I learned something with the “Newton’s Laws of Motion” and enjoyed the filmmaker’s capturing of “flight”, a difficult subject. The text and sine wave added to make it a very educational experience--albeit a bit unusual. I gave credit for trying something different than what most would do, or would be expected. Finally, I appreciated the effort it took to make the last shot where all the birds fly away.

2nd Runner-Up
Mick Jenner - "Long Distance Travellers"
This is a nice, well-composed story with well-written (and recorded) narration. I like how the filmmaker created a beginning, middle and end for this film. While the images could have been a little closer up, the idea and feeling of this film and the experience it created made it a top choice for me. The walking-away shot at the end is a great way to create an actual ending shot that says goodbye. One of my favorite shots out of all these films.

Thanks for the opportunity to screen your work. Before this contest, these films didn’t exist and now, thanks to your vision (and a strict deadline!), they do, and will for some time to come.

Kenneth Wajda
UWOL19 Judge

Mike Sims February 28th, 2011 02:25 PM

Re: And the winners of UWOL 19 are...

Congratulations David, Steve and Mick and thank-you Kenneth.

Trond Saetre February 28th, 2011 02:55 PM

Congratulations to all of you!

Steve Siegel February 28th, 2011 11:58 PM

David,
Congratulations on your win, especially notable since it is your first entry to UWOL. You have set the bar at a very high level, and it will be a challenge for the rest of us to meet it. Once again UWOL comes through to make us all better videographers/editors.

Mick Jenner March 1st, 2011 02:15 AM

Congratulations to you David on winning, and of course to Steve as runner up.

Thank you Kenneth for agreeing to be judge this round and giving very good feed back.

Mick

Markus Nord March 1st, 2011 06:48 AM

Congratulations David, and the runner ups

Catherine Russell March 1st, 2011 08:02 AM

Now this is what I like to see:

Veterans and newcomers alike on the podium :) Well done Dave, Steve and Mick! Your efforts have paid off for a moment in the lime-light. To everyone else... your efforts still have paid off! Well done and congratulations to all.

And to Ken, many thanks for your time and insight selecting the winners and writing your reviews. It is service like this, from experienced veterans in the field, that inspire the next generation of talent to forge their own ways and contributions to the film industry. Thank You!

All this being said, it is I who gets to claim the prize... it is I who gets to quaff a beer at the local pub with our esteemed judge. Rule # 11 must be enforced! I am the keeper of the rules, and this one will never be broken! ;-)

Cat

David Elkins March 2nd, 2011 11:37 PM

Wow, I've been out of the loop for a few days and didn't realize winners were up! Thanks everyone and congratulations to Steve and Mick. Thanks so much Ken for your time in judging the contest and your feedback on my film. I'm really looking forward to UWOL 20!

Geir Inge March 3rd, 2011 06:37 AM

Hi.
I want to say congratulation to you David Elkins, Steve Siegel, Mick Jenner and the rest of you great uwolers. Well done to you all :)
Geir Inge

Meryem Ersoz March 17th, 2011 07:48 AM

Nice work, fellas...great to see some new names grabbin' the glory!