UWOL 20- Tales of Wonder and Woe! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 20- Tales of Wonder and Woe!

Tronde,

No doubt many of the presets will be the same: this should give you something to tinker with.

Dale’s rich preset

Gamma 2 Knee L Black P Ped 2 Set -1 Sharpness 1
HDF M DHV 0 Cor 1 NR1 0 Nr 2 m CMX 2
Cgn 3 CPH 1 RGN 0 GGN 0 BGN 0 RGM 1
RBM 1 GRM 0 GBM 0 BRM 0 BGM 0

I tinkered with this to bring my Sony and my Xlh1 to be as close as possible.

As you know, I prefer more saturated colors.

I am off in a bit to get my final shots.

It is about + 12 / about 50 F, prretty nice really, chances for snow the next two days though!!! LOL

My cineform HD Link is not working either, weird!!!!

Will work on that tomorrow I reckon. always something, eh??

Dale
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Thank you, Dale!

I will try your presets, and also a few other presets I found when I searched google.

I still have lots of trouble with the NeoHD.
Posted in the Cineform forum, and filed trouble ticket. Still no answers.

So you also have trouble with HDLink? I noticed one other over in the Cineform forum reported the same a few days ago.

Good luck with your filming! I look forward to see what you come up with this time.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #33
Major Player

I managed to get the majority of my remaining footage this morning but I missed a crucial shot which will tie the other stuff I’ve been doing together. Oh, well. Back to the “salt mines”.(well… sort of…)

Trond- I ran Mpeg Streamclip on Windows XP Media Edition. I used it to convert AVCHD files so I could edit with CS2. I’ve never used MXF files so I’m not sure my settings will be any help. I always had to use the Advanced settings and tweak the saturation and contrast. The sliders are very sensitive and just a little on either side of whatever turns out to be right will make poor files. After converting I always had to color correct and sharpen in Premier to make it look good. MS is just a temporary solution so you can edit something before the deadline. I’m still hoping Cineform comes through for you in time. I think it is your best bet in the long run. I wish this were more help.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #34
Inner Circle

good evening,

Well, I believe that I have all the shots I need to complete, If weather gets better and access makes it possible I will have two awesome shots to add, if not I will still be happy. I have had more laid back fun with this one than most. Today I had snow blowing on me at times.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #35
Major Player

Trond, wishing you luck in sorting out the editing problems. I want to see what that camera can produce ! My idea was to go out and get some good shots, well lit and focused which I did on the first and second day after the theme was announced. Now I have no idea what to do with them...maybe an abstract montage type of editing effect cut to classical music will do the trick.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Bill, the video straight out of the camera looks amazingly good in my eyes.
Still having a havoc with Cineform and Premiere. Not exactly sure which one of them is causing the trouble, as reinstalling everything did not make any difference.

So this round I'm the one having all the "woes" while the rest of you are supposed to do the "wonders" :)
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I have seen the light :))

For some weird reason, Premiere now can play the Cineform avi files if I choose a XDCAM EX preset, but not if I use a Cineform preset.
Weird, right?

Anyway, seems like there might be a tiny little hope that I can make something for UC20 after all. Wohoo.
And off I go. No net (except for on my phone) until the day after the deadline...
From now on, it's all about rule 11. :)

Looking forward to see what you all can come up with. It's a bright tough theme.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #38
Major Player

Congratulations Trond! Good luck on your trip.

I had some fantastic good luck myself today. Not only did I get the shots I missed yesterday, I got two shots I never even thought would be possible. Once again another young lady helped me out. One subject is a critically endangered species (thankfully not legislatively delisted through malicious trickery) that, the last I had heard, had not even been seen in over twenty years. Apparently, they showed up again earlier this year and are being seen regularly. They have a very limited range and are only found in one specific spot. There are very few photos and I may have the only video so far. I will be going back after the deadline with different kit in an effort to get even better footage. Pretty exciting stuff! I need to shift gears now and start editing. I need to learn a new technique this time and I hope it doesn’t slow me down too much to finish.

I hope everyone is well and proceeding to plan. Best wishes.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #39
Trustee

Hey Mike:

What is it with these young ladies that seem to appear from nowhere in the Texan outback ready and waiting to be your assistant? ;-)

Your rare capture on film is quite exciting and I can't wait to see what it is.

I'm looking to upgrade soon to a new Mac and CS5 software. There really isn't a choice because everything is geared for Intel-Mac and thus upgrades to older software won't work on these new systems. How do you like it (the CS5, I mean)? I'm really excited to try it.

--------------
Nice job Trond, sticking with it and meeting the challenge.

I'm getting excited for your entries, everyone!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #40
Major Player

Hey Cat,
Are you switching to a Mac from a PC? If so, what was it that finally drove you over to the Dark Side?
Mac's are just so much more expensive to buy, and to repair or replace. I have just upgraded to CS5
myself, and find it pretty much the same as CS4, except with more latitude in types of formats it will accomodate. If you have a Mac, why didn't you go with Final Cut Pro?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #41
Major Player

Beats me, Cat, but I suspect it has a lot more to do with the subject and almost nothing to do with the guy behind the camera. I’m still pretty excited about that footage although it’s probably nothing exciting to look at. I can’t say more yet without revealing too much.

I really like CS5. It was a big step up for me from CS2. I had to build a new computer to run it and, although that wasn’t hard, I had more hiccups with the new hardware than I ever did with the software. There are only two things I don’t like. First, CS5.0 came with Soundbooth instead of Audition and it’s pretty cheesy in comparison. Second, they intend to extort a further $400 from me to upgrade to CS5.5- I find that seriously irritating. At least it comes with Audition…
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #42
Trustee

Hi Steve:

I'm a Mac gal through and through. I have and use the Apple products like FCP, etc. but I'm an After Effects gal as well. AE is where my heart is. But of course, AE isn't sold anymore as a stand alone but is bundled in with all of the CS products. Adobe makes lots of money that way! So upgrading the Mac, means upgrading all the software that can run only on the Intel version of Mac and being forced to buy stuff I wouldn't otherwise buy. Ah, we live in a monopoly world n'est pas?

How's your new camera working out? Nice to have you pop in on the forum!

Hey Mike:

This is good info, thank you! As far as your suspicion that the interest has nothing to do with what's behind the camera, I think I will beg to differ on that one. I don't think us ladies are willing to crawl through the mud for just anyone! :)

I've said before that this is turning out to be the year for raptors here. It turns out that now a Bald Eagle pair have a nest in a cottonwood not far from our house. I'm hoping to attempt some footage later this week if I can. I'll keep you all posted!

Steve, I need you here for filming the female Northern Harrier who is still here! She is always in motion!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #43
Major Player

That’s exciting news about the eagles Catherine! I look forward to seeing some footage. Also, around here, areas which are frequented by Harriers by day generally have Short-eared Owls by night. They become active around dusk. It might be worth a look…
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Well, I pretty much have a rap on it!! Being it is only 3 minutes I had to cut out all kinds of nice footage I would have liked to use.

Holding to Cats Challenge, I think this is likly the nicest piece I have put together.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:35 AM   #45
Major Player

I’m not through yet, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel! (Time is running out- got to get the last of these light jokes in now.) I’ve used the whole three minutes and let the credits run longer, as is allowed. The credits are an animation and I just hope our judge knows it’s OK…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge