DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Uwol#20 – Searching the light – Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/495135-uwol-20-searching-light-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge April 27th, 2011 01:24 AM

Uwol#20 – Searching the light – Geir Inge B. Brekke

To me light can be many different things. Not just a candlelight or other light sources.
I think it also can have to do with feelings. So if you have waited long enough for things to happen.
It surely brings the light into your life when it finally happens.
I had not much time for this video, due to my exam.
That is I had 10 days and I also had to go to work these ten days, so I was almost ready for the shark tank. I had fun though :)
I’m still a novice using Vegas and I have a long way to go when it comes to correction of all kinds.
Color correction for instance. I have to practise on that one.
Ok, I made me a script (manus) and tried to do some shooting to follow the story.
Have I followed the script? Well, I think so, but maybe with a twist or two.
In “Searching the light” I’m not after the light itself, but these things that makes our lives better in a positive way.
Looking forward to your comments.

Mike Sims April 27th, 2011 11:19 AM

Re: Uwol#20 – Searching the light – Geir Inge B. Brekke

This is another fine video from you, Geir Inge. It is all the more impressive because of the limited time involved. “That’s the life of a wildlife videographer.” We share our results with the world but we usually reserve the special moments for ourselves alone. You have done a wonderful job of sharing the special moment with the otter with us. Thank-you! You always use the most creative fonts in your titles. Where do you find them?

Chris Barcellos April 27th, 2011 11:27 AM

Watched your Film Geir. Another fine job !

Ruth Happel April 27th, 2011 08:06 PM

I always really enjoy your films. Your mellifluous voice adds so much to your films.

The double meaning of light was excellently portrayed in the video. I was caught up in your own adventure seeking the otter. Like you I also featured an otter in my film, they are such amazing creatures.

You had some amazing shots, in all kinds of weather and light. A great take on the theme.

Catherine Russell April 28th, 2011 12:18 PM

Hi Geir:

You bring such passion to your films that resonates so deeply from within. You are masterful at storytelling with how you bring it all together... the stop and go of voice, the interplay of voice and music, the beautiful visuals and always the deeper meaning. What a delightful person you are as well as talented.

Your film left me thinking that the otter could have been thinking the same as you. He could have been saying to himself, "...there you are, but could you come a bit closer? but who am I to ask such a thing..." and he swam away just as thankful to see you again, as were of him.

This is a true Geir Inge film, but I think I saw your mother's signature in this through and through :).

Cat

Bill Thesken April 28th, 2011 12:37 PM

Geir, lucky for us you did wait those hours and days in the rain and wind to capture that otter on film. Brings back memories of the old Disney movies. In fact, a lot of your film has traces of that easy going story telling style. Great job.

Steve Siegel April 28th, 2011 06:17 PM

Geir,

I love your films with the soft Norwegian light and the feeling for the natural world you impart to them. We have all had those experiences with a wild creature where you can actually communicate with them (mine was with a butterfly), but you verbalize it better than anyone.

One practical suggestion. If you cut the speed of your bird flight shots to 50%, and unclick "frame blend" or it's equivalent mode in your editing software, you will get rid of the shadowy extra wing images and it will still look natural.

Steve

Dale Guthormsen April 28th, 2011 07:23 PM

Geir,

Very nicely done and very much appreciated!!! Especially under the gun so to speak with school and all!!!!

In regards to steve's comment:

In Vegas, right click on video clip, goto properties, put a mark next to disable resample.

In project properties you can set it to progressive, interpolate deinterlace method. that will allow you to change the play rate to .75, then if you want put a velocity envelope on the clip as well and slow it down how much you want for that effect. this will really help you get bird flight the way you want it!! As far as I am concerned Vegas does this the best.

also shooting in progressive with a shutter speed of no faster than 1/100 will also be a method to try.

to finish off, I am so jealous of the opportunities to shoot otters!!!! what kind of gray bird was that, a Jay?

I think you did a fine job on the script!!! While I am linguisticly impaired when it comes to accents even among english speakers, I found I could understand you voice over very clearly and it was at a pace I could enjoy!!!
Communion can be any place, for me it is out in the wilds too!

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your world!!!

Trond Saetre April 29th, 2011 03:51 AM

Hei Geir Inge,

Yet another great video from you!
I agree about what has been said already.
Keep up your good work!

Geir Inge April 29th, 2011 07:29 AM

Hi all and thank you for nice comments on my video.

Mike: I use the font called "Pristina" and it's in the text menu that follows Vegas. I'ts also to be found in other text programs like Microsoft Words.

Catherine: Thank you for nice words. I myself think I'm a very ordinary and a bit dull person :) my mom is there - always.

Bill: Maybe I will search a new job at Disney? That would be something to write home about, haha. I'm not sure I will get one though ;)

Dale and Steve: Thank you both for kind words and good advice about editing and how to use Vegas. It's needed and I will for sure try it out.

Ruth, Chris and Trond: Thank you very much for nice comments on my video.

Catherine Russell April 29th, 2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Siegel (Post 1643994)
Geir,

If you cut the speed of your bird flight shots to 50%, and unclick "frame blend" or it's equivalent mode in your editing software, you will get rid of the shadowy extra wing images and it will still look natural.

Steve

Ah, now this is a tip worth knowing. I've got just the footage to test this out. Do you slow the movie back down again after it's been processed in this way?

Cat

Steve Siegel April 29th, 2011 11:38 AM

Cat,
In Adobe Premiere, 50% refers to the perceived speed, not the clip length, so 50% is slowed down. Each frame is played twice.

Steve