Garden Island at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Garden Island

UWOL got me going with filming outdoors, and for the past month I've been gathering at least a bit of footage every day. Suprising how sometimes you're out in the field and don't think you're going to get any good shots and then you stumble across something really cool. The luck of the Irish.
The first two scenes with the title are old shots, everything else was filmed in the past couple of weeks.
In one of the underwater shots you'll see a big approx. 15 lb parrot fish, or in Hawaiian - 'Uhu'. There's a couple of other shots with some endemic fish only found in Hawaii, the Hawaiian Gregory , the Saddle Wrasse - 'Hinalea lauwili', Whitesaddle Goatfish - 'Kumu'. I got some really good jungle shots today but too late to re-edit this video.
It looks best if you click the 720p mode and let it upload for a bit.

YouTube - ‪Garden Island‬‏
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Garden Island

Hi Bill,

What a stunning opening to your film. Love the colors of the sunshine.
So interesting to see your scenery over there, and the underwater shots with all the colorful fishes.
Exotic compared to what we have here.
Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed watching it.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Bill,

Your opening shot was stunning. What a difficult shot with the contrasts of sun and shade. The close-up of the fish captured the tide/wave action perfectly. What did you use to get the underwater shots?

Dave
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bill

I really enjoyed your film. Kauai is an amazing place - what stunning scenery. The Canyon with its striations of colour is particularly beautiful – I’m sure it must have entailed quite a hike to get that footage. I am intrigued by your DVD project – would love to hear more.

I did a double take when watching your footage of the fish – thought for a brief moment you had played it backwards. I never realized fish were tossed about quite so much by under-water currents like that. How big are those fish – aside from the one you mentioned - many look like the little fish people keep in tropical fish tanks here. Those ‘Zebra’ fish looked like they were curious about your camera – seemed to be so many very close up. Do you use a light when filming underwater or do you just have crystal clear water?
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for watching and the comments!
David - it's just a little GoPro so I'm limited to what it can capture. I really need to upgrade to a camera with a bigger lens. Something that's not too big and captures a good crisp image.
Marj -most of the fish are small about 8" - 22", the zebra fish are convict tang also known as 'Manini' over here. I left the camera on the bottom and they were just swarming around it and feeding off the seaweed on the rocks. At one point I could not see the camera through the school. I have no underwater light but should get one. I need a couple more hard to get shots for a little nature DVD I'm putting together and when it's complete I'll post on the UWOL thread.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Bill.
Your video makes me want to go there.
So many great scenery, shapes colors from the nature.
Also the uner water scenes is great and the colors of the fish.
It's calm and relaxing to watch falls gives it a special touch.
Nice choice of music too.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Bill,

Nicely done, lots of interesting shots. I love the scene shot at 48 of the deep canyon, if you had kept the sky with a bit of blu it would have been even more spectacular!!! Using a polizer filter can help bring out the blue in your sky so it is not quite so burnt You might also be able to add a slight blue hue by using a secondary color corrector in post.

You have numerous superb compsoitions.

I loved the underwater shots of al the cool colorful little fish!!!

The music was delightful!!!

Thanks for taking the time and sharing this video with us!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge