DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #21 Theme Announcement...Go Wild! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/499076-uwol-21-theme-announcement-go-wild.html)

Meryem Ersoz August 1st, 2011 07:45 AM

UWOL #21 Theme Announcement...Go Wild!

There's nothing fancy to this round's theme. After months of working intensively with humans on a feature film project, I'm ready to bask in the animal realms with you all. There is something restorative about spending a little time with the planets' other living things.

Let's hang out with the BIRDS, FISH, REPTILES, AND AMPHIBIANS, shall we?

That's your theme. Go play among the flying ones, the cold-blooded, the scaly, and the water-born.

Simultaneous with the contest, we'll be overhauling the rules to make the contest easier for you and for its new leader (yes, someone stepped up...more on that later). So check into the forum periodically for info on compression, uploading, and notes on the future of the contest.

Your deadline for submitting your entry is: Deadline is August 22, midnight anywhere in the world.

Kevin Railsback August 1st, 2011 07:58 AM

Re: UWOL #21 Theme Announcement...Go Wild!

Mmmm, am wondering how to do a film on this theme that doesn't have any birds, reptiles or amphibians in it? Oh wait, I did already "Silent Kingdom"
Better wait at least a day before I jump into the shark tank. :)

Meryem Ersoz August 1st, 2011 08:04 AM

oh Railsback, don't be such a big baby - go find a raptor rescue or something near you and offer your prodigious services in service to saving a big bird or two.

you can save something besides puppies once in a while, y'know....

my regards to Spaggy May - she looks happy...

Trond Saetre August 1st, 2011 08:15 AM

Mr Railsback, I do not like to hear about the shark tank this early in the contest. ;)

Nice theme!
Let the fun begin, wohoo!

Kevin Railsback August 1st, 2011 08:17 AM

I'm in Iowa Meryem. People always figure you're scamming them somehow or you're going to profit off them and they're going to miss out.
I've tried working with the Raptor Rehab center south of me before.

Heck, I'm still waiting for the shelter board to approve a video I did. They're all worried that it'll show their dogs in a bad light so I did a happy film and they're still debating it.

I can do a bird feeder film I guess.
I've seen three reptiles in Iowa since 1976. I've been a bit more lucky with frogs. About three or four of them and some pollywogs. I've filmed some dead fish and got lucky once and filmed some suckers in a creek. Yeah, Iowa ain't Colorado! :)

Trond Saetre August 1st, 2011 08:19 AM

At least you have seen reptiles in your area.
Go for it, Kevin! I know you can come up with something great as always.
You are a skilled film maker!

Mike Sims August 1st, 2011 09:01 AM

Interesting. By omitting the Mammalia you have made the theme subtly more difficult than apparent on first glance. Hmmm…

Roger Rosales August 1st, 2011 01:08 PM

Very cool theme...what about Cats? I have a pretty interesting idea but it doesn't fall into any of the listed species mentioned...however, they are a part of the "animal realm"...

EDIT: Nevermind! Just as I thought...Mike pretty much answered my question. Indeed a little more difficult.

Simon Wood August 1st, 2011 01:39 PM

I might be interested in doing this for the first time. Let me get it straight though; do you need to make a piece about all of the above, or can you pick and mix (or just choose one of the categories)?

Meryem Ersoz August 1st, 2011 01:40 PM

We ran a mammals theme once already...surprisingly, however, four years have passed without a bird-specific theme - not that it has stopped Dale!

birds are hard to shoot - it's a worthy challenge.

Kevin Railsback August 1st, 2011 01:44 PM

Hard to believe that four years have even passed!

Meryem Ersoz August 1st, 2011 01:44 PM

Hi Simon - welcome to UWOL - but you need to sign up to play - sign up thread is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...mething-2.html

I'll give you and anyone else 15 minutes to go sign up and then I'm locking the thread - I should have locked it this morning, but I was being lazy.

You interpret the theme any way you like - that is part of the fun, seeing how everyone interprets the theme.

But your film is judged in large part by how it fits the theme....so don't stray too far.

Simon Wood August 1st, 2011 01:54 PM

Did it!

I'll take care of the Ugandan critter scene. I look forward to seeing what comes up from everyone else.

Meryem Ersoz August 1st, 2011 01:58 PM

Uganda! That's a first for UWOL - very cool. I think our only African country represented so far has been South Africa, ably represented by Marj - it will be fun to see some shots from another region of that enormous land.

Rob Evans August 1st, 2011 02:55 PM

Very cool - found a reptile colony 300 yards from my house only yesterday!
Good luck all!