Tales of wonders and woe - UWOL #21 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 30th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #76
Trustee

Re: Tales of wonders and woe - UWOL #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Geir, I use Vegas...got these render settings from my DVC pal Robert Martens (see post 71 above) that have always worked for me:

Use Main Concept AAC/AVC
Leave Template as is
click on Custom > Video > Frame size > Custom
make the width 1280, the height 720
click on Constant Bit Rate choose to your liking (Robert had me use 3,000,000)

Maybe Dale or someone else has another solution, as well.
Thank you very much Lorinda, I'll try it out :)
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #77
Trustee

Squeezed to wrong with in vimeo pro?

When I play back my video from Vimeo Pro it is squeezed, wrong with for some reason, but not when I play it back from my own vimeo account?
Geir Inge
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #78
Wrangler

Hmm...a couple other videos seem to be all right, but let me check out the settings again. In the meantime, let's experiment a bit. Go to your video in Vimeo Pro, within the Settings click on video file, use your own player, and put in the link to your file in Vimeo Plus. Hope it works!
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #79
Trustee

Quote:
Hmm...a couple other videos seem to be all right, but let me check out the settings again. In the meantime, let's experiment a bit. Go to your video in Vimeo Pro, within the Settings click on video file, use your own player, and put in the link to your file in Vimeo Plus. Hope it works!
Hi again.
It didn't work, so now I will try to delete the file and then upload again, thumbs up :)
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #80
Wrangler

I can't imagine what the difference would be! In checking the settings on the Pro account I didn't see any way to change it.

If reuploading doesn't work, Geir, try rendering it again using the compression guidelines Mike Sims posted from the Vimeo site: Compression guidelines on Vimeo. The only thing I can see that might cause aspect problems would be the square pixel setting. But why your video looks fine on your Plus player and not Pro is beyond me.
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #81
Major Player

With a couple of false starts I managed to upload to the new DVInfo-UWOL Vimeo account. Pretty easy- even for a cranky old curmudgeon like me! Mine seems to play OK, although the HD version stutters a bit on my slow internet machine.

Good-luck everyone!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #82
Major Player

OK, I have uploaded mine. I had to keep it at 720p due to a slow internet connection (it was saved as a MOV file which is not as compressed as MP4). Its a little washed out and a little soft, but it should do the trick. I'm hoping my new Apple set-up that I will be receiving in September will be more conducive to online delivery (I hear FCPX has a Vimeo export 'button' - that should be sweet for this type of work!).

I'll keep the video password locked until the 1st? I noticed a few others were uploading at the same time as me - best of luck to you all!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #83
Major Player

Here’s a question for all you experienced hands at Vimeo. Is it possible to choose the Poster Frame or does Vimeo always choose it? I’m not really crazy about the one Vimeo chose. I looked around for a way to do it but couldn’t find it. Perhaps it is called something else? (I just say “Poster Frame” because that’s what Encore calls the frame displayed as a thumbnail in the link to a video.)
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #84
Major Player

With Vimeo Pro using the same upload guidelines as the regular service so many people are familiar with, this new setup should dramatically simplify things for everyone; I'm not a UWOL participant, but this development is appreciated nonetheless! I'm constantly awed by the lengths to which Chris goes to accommodate his membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
... a MOV file which is not as compressed as MP4). Its a little washed out and a little soft, but it should do the trick.
For reference, both of those, like AVI, MKV, WMV, 3GP and so on, are only container formats, containers being just what they sound like: storage bins for video, audio, and perhaps timecode, subtitles, and a variety of other things. There's no connection between the container and how compressed the contents are, beyond what codecs you can manage to stuff inside.

As for "washed out", that's typical of Quicktime, which is notorious for--among other things--its mishandling of PC versus TV levels in H.264 (PC and TV levels are 0-255 and 16-235, respectively, though strictly speaking it's only TV luma that goes to 235, TV chroma going instead to 240). The video may well be perfectly fine, and look correct when decoded and displayed by your viewers' systems.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #85
Trustee

Quote:
I can't imagine what the difference would be! In checking the settings on the Pro account I didn't see any way to change it.

If reuploading doesn't work, Geir, try rendering it again using the compression guidelines Mike Sims posted from the Vimeo site: Compression guidelines on Vimeo. The only thing I can see that might cause aspect problems would be the square pixel setting. But why your video looks fine on your Plus player and not Pro is beyond me.
Hi Lorinda.
Then I have uploaded my video again, and now it works fine.
What I did, was to upload a wmv file, since the mp4 didn't work.
Never experienced this before in vimeo, maybe it has to do with the settings and how I render my file from Vegas?

OK, after all - it's a challenge, isn't it :)
Best of luck everyone.
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Here’s a question for all you experienced hands at Vimeo. Is it possible to choose the Poster Frame or does Vimeo always choose it? I’m not really crazy about the one Vimeo chose. I looked around for a way to do it but couldn’t find it. Perhaps it is called something else? (I just say “Poster Frame” because that’s what Encore calls the frame displayed as a thumbnail in the link to a video.)
Go to your video page. On the top right there should be some icons - click "settings" (icon looks like a cog). A list will open on the left side; click on "thumbnails" and you will see a choice of images. You can also upload your own jpg or png if you prefer.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #87
Major Player

Got it! Did it. Thanks Simon!
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:11 AM   #88
Major Player

Well, i actually managed to scrape something together just in time :-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:54 AM   #89
Wrangler

Yay, Rob!

We're down to the final hours. Already looking at some great works ready for rollout tomorrow. Hoping that some of you who have been quiet are just busy putting the finishing touches on your videos!
Old August 31st, 2011, 02:13 PM   #90
Major Player

I wonder if I'll finish and woe if I don't. I need to record the voice over this afternoon and fit it to the edit.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge