DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 21 - Birds along the river - Finn-Erik Faale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/500196-uwol-21-birds-along-river-finn-erik-faale.html)

Finn-Erik Faale August 31st, 2011 03:16 PM

UWOL 21 - Birds along the river - Finn-Erik Faale

My entry is based on a trip in a small boat on a small river in the inner end of a small fjord
in the south-eastern part of Norway.
Catching the Reed Warbler from a drifting dingy was a hard nut.
At home, I realized that some of the birds in between the reed-plants missed entirely on the tape.
Thanks to Tone who patiently rowed me up and down the river.

Simon Wood September 1st, 2011 03:17 PM

Re: UWOL 21 - Birds along the river - Finn-Erik Faale

I watched your film 'The Spark' recently, and I really loved it, so I was especially interested to see what you came up with this time.

In some ways this is similar; a small, elegant (but practical) journey. I like this story; I especially like the basic uncluttered and uncomplicated premise of the idea: take a slow boat ride down the river and just see what turns up. What could be more natural than that! And so the film unfolds like a leisurely boat ride, and birds and plants simply drift into view.

The music and the slow rhythmic oar splashes work well together, the constant rowing gives the film a nice 'flowing' progression.

A nice relaxing and natural film; almost like being there!

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2011 08:15 PM

Almost like being there is right, Simon. That's a big part of what makes this piece work.

Tranquility...just what I needed the first time through your video, Finn-Erik. Thank you. I kept wishing I could join Tone (nice to see her again!) and take turns gently rowing down the shallow river. I have a row boat but no similar water, so I've only been in it one time. Your video showed me that I still want to find myself a river just like it and take a quiet little trip. Something tells me Tone didn't mind helping you row up and down that stretch.

Beautiful composition and framing on the shot at 1:58--that would make a very nice painting. And lovely guitar playing as well!

Mike Sims September 2nd, 2011 12:13 PM

Hello, Finn-Erik! I always study your videos because you are so good at timing (It must be the musician in you!). Do you choose the music first or edit and then choose? Congratulations on getting footage of the elusive Reed Warbler. Great shots from a moving boat. My Barn Swallows are doing the same thing here (there are 100+ on the wire across the street right now) but they go to South America. Say hello to Tone. She has become a special UWOL friend through your videos. Thank her because she didn’t just row for you, she rowed us all around the river and it was great!

Markus Nord September 3rd, 2011 12:28 AM

Hi Finn-Erik
Nice little film you got there. Good concept with a trip along a river... But it didn't look like Norway :) more like Sweden...
I would say it is a easy way out, 'cause it's not! But you don't need to spend a lot of time finding a specific creature. Like my film... I knew what I would find, so I could write a story around that.
Well done Finn-Erik.

Geir Inge September 3rd, 2011 03:15 AM

Hey Finn-Erik and Tone:)
This is a well made ​​video, as always.
You always pick out appropriate music for your videos.
It provides a relaxing atmosphere, and it feels good when I see your videos.
I am always so fascinated by other's pans and tilts.
Perhaps because this is something I have to practice more:)
The clip that starts at around 1:30 is great.
Could it be an idea if it was more in slow motion?
The clip gives one three dimensional feeling, very well done:)
Voice and sound mix is nicely proportioned, and the sound of the river and strokes gives a heavenly feeling. Boat with motor would not been the same, right?
You also show that Norway has more than rocky mountains - a complex country, so to speak.
Information about the different species, is enlightening.
These are birds that are difficult to spot and difficult to film.
Not all granted the pleasure to see them. Nice that you give more people the opportunity.
Bird watching is a very rewarding and interesting hobby.
It provides peace of mind, right?
Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Bill Thesken September 3rd, 2011 12:34 PM

Some great camera work you have Finn-Erik. The pan down while going forward is a nice effect. I had to look at the clip of the water at the 1:00 mark a couple of times, had a magic quality. Very peaceful film and the guitar was excellent!

Finn-Erik Faale September 4th, 2011 05:25 AM

Thank to all of you for nice comments.

Simon:
I am so happy that you have taken your time to watch the Spark.
It was actually not in my mind to do the new film in a similar way.
But, as you have noticed, the structure is basically the same.

Lorinda:
You are heartily welcome on board! Tone (and I) would be delighted if you joined us up the river or elsewhere.
I can see on the map that you have quite a lot of lakes in your state.
Maybe some of them are bordered with reeds? I hope you can row your boat tranquilly on one of them.
Tone didn't mind rowing me up and down the river.
In fact she rowed me all the way from our sailing boat which was tied up at a good distance from the river's mouth.

Mike:
I do not begin with the music- I start with editing the film shots gradually I find out what sort of music would be suitable.
When the final choice is made, practicing is always needed before recording.
The music is adapted to the video in the end of the editing.
I then do some small adjustments to the video cuts.
In this film I had to do some shortcuts of the music In the editing process.
People who knows the piece well will be aware of the missing measures.

Marcus:
As Geir Inge says Norway has more than rocky mountains.
The more east you go, the closer to Sweden you come and the like Sweden it looks.

Geir Inge:
I will try to slow down the tilt-clip. Maybe it will enhance the effect.
An outboard motor would absolutely not be the same.
We don't even have any out-border for our dinghy. We always use the oars.
With motors you get lots of fuss. Unless you have an electrical motor, you pollute and you disturb yourself and others with noise.
Long live the oars!

Bill:
Thanks for nice comments and your detailed watching.
I am delighted that you found the film peaceful. I hoped it was.

Rob Evans September 4th, 2011 03:33 PM

Hi Finn Erik,
Lovely pace, had me feeling quite relaxed. I'm always amazed how far north the common migratory species will travel, and you picked up on these nicely. Good job!

Bob Safay September 5th, 2011 04:28 AM

Finn-Erik, great concept. The idea of having someone rowing a boat while you are discribing the environment was both pleasing to the eye and the soul. How many memories it bought back to me, the quiet of the ores instead of an engine. This is really the way to spot birds and just listen to nature. It makes me very envious. I guess, like others, that every time I see a diferent video of Norway I see a differentaspect of it. What a beautiful country you have. If UWOL has given me anything, it is the desire to visit Norway. Great job. Bob