DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Uploading (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/506488-uploading.html)

Dale Guthormsen March 29th, 2012 06:06 PM

Uploading

Was wondering about uploading videos.

Are we just posting from our sites on vimeo, ect.

Is there a new protocol?

thanks,

Mike Sims March 29th, 2012 07:50 PM

Re: Uploading

Dale- You need to see Lorinda’s post #41 on the Tales of Wonders and Woes thread. You send her an e-mail at the address in that post (uwol@dvinfo.net) and she will send you the user name and password to upload to the dvinfo sponsored Vimeo page for the contest.

Trond Saetre March 29th, 2012 11:25 PM

In addition to uploading to the official Vimeo page, players can of course (and as always are encouraged to) also upload to their personal Vimeo, youtube and/or websites.

Gordon Hoffman March 30th, 2012 06:58 AM

Is there any naming convention required when uploading to the vimeo accoount.
Thanks.

Gordon

Lorinda Norton March 30th, 2012 08:17 AM

Thanks, Mike and Trond! Gordon, I will resend the upload info; uploading to the Vimeo Pro account is the same as you would for your own vimeo or youtube account.

Trond Saetre March 30th, 2012 10:04 AM

Lorinda, I see in the rules that there is no longer any mention of frame- and file size for the submitted video.
Are we supposed to only follow Vimeo's guide lines?

Lorinda Norton March 30th, 2012 10:09 AM

I would think the Vimeo guidelines would be fine, but if anyone wants to chime in with settings tweaked to perfection they are welcome. There are no restrictions.

Trond Saetre March 30th, 2012 10:12 AM

Thank you.

Owen Dawe March 30th, 2012 06:35 PM

Have not done much in the way of putting video on the web. I could do with information on the uploading setings. I thought I'd followed the vimeo settings. The clip looks under exposed and not as sharp.

Gordon Hoffman March 30th, 2012 10:29 PM

Lorinda
What I was wondering is do we include UWOL22 with our title or just our title.
I've never uploaded anything to vimeo or youtube before!
Thanks.

Gordon

Lorinda Norton March 30th, 2012 10:50 PM

You may do it however you wish, Gordon; although, now that you bring it to my attention, it would be easier for me if the title on Vimeo included the UWOL number. But it's fine either way--I'm just adding them to the current portfolio as I get them...at least, I think I am. We'll all figure this out together. :)

Trond Saetre March 31st, 2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Dawe (Post 1724101)
Have not done much in the way of putting video on the web. I could do with information on the uploading setings. I thought I'd followed the vimeo settings. The clip looks under exposed and not as sharp.

The issues you have with softness and exposure might be caused by the encoding and codec used.
What settings and which software do you use for encoding?

I am encoding with Sorenson Squeeze using h264 codec with a bitrate of 7-9000kbps. Vimeo specify 5000kbps, but I have occasionally noticed the softness you mention with lower bitrates.
Compared to let Premiere pro (cs3) do the encoding, Squeeze gives me a better result.

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but I can share the exact settings later.
(unfortunately not until after deadline)

Simon Wood March 31st, 2012 04:53 AM

Vimeo provide some basic instructions on the best compression settings (and some video tutorials):

Compression guidelines on Vimeo

Gordon Hoffman March 31st, 2012 07:09 AM

Thanks Lorinda.It appears I've got something uploaded. Wohoo!

Gordon

Lorinda Norton April 1st, 2012 09:23 AM

Hey Everyone!

We got NINE great submissions! There's a little technical problem on one upload, but as soon as that is fixed - hoping in a few hours - I'll unlock the films and everyone can have fun watching and giving feedback. Go ahead and post your feedback threads if you'd like!

Here are the filmmakers of UWOL 22:

Mike Sims
Trond Saetre
Dale Guthormson
Geir Inge
Owen Dawe
Gordon Hoffman
Bill Thesken
Ruth Happel
Victor Wilcox