DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#22 - "The Little Things" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/506556-uwol-22-little-things-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge April 1st, 2012 09:59 AM

UWOL#22 - "The Little Things" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

I had problems to finish my contribution this time (too).
First, because I am a student and also works part-time 60%.
It's hard work and not much time left over for filming. I have to prioritize with the hard hand :)
Second, because the weather has not been on my side or the camera's side this time.
Several storms, snow and rain has made it difficult, but that's how it is to make wildlife films.
This time I changed completely my original story. It is now to compare with the old Norwegian fairy tale.
By doing a "google" on "little things" I found how to change my original story ;)
No color correction or other editing effects are used, except for some transitions.
Voice over is by me and music by Sonicfire Pro.
I look forward to your comments and to watch your videos.

Ruth Happel April 2nd, 2012 07:09 PM

Re: UWOL#22 - "The Little Things" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Geir, I always enjoy your films. You have captured some amazing footage - UWOL in all senses of the word. And of course I love the talking animals! The music provides just the right touch of whimsy to the narrative, not overpowering the words. The story is excellent, and in your short video you show us your long journey from winter to spring, and the magic of nature along the way. Thanks again for yet another great film.

Ruth

Mike Sims April 3rd, 2012 09:33 PM

Hi Geir Inge. I’m glad you were able to find some time in your schedule this round. I like this video because it gives the impression of a fable as told to children. My favorite shot was the amphipods. You got some interesting behaviour there! The cameos of the other animals were nice and the way you did their voices was certainly very clever. It is quite effective. Good- luck with your up-coming exams. I hope afterwards some of the pressure will be off and you can find more time to have fun making videos. My very best wishes to you!

Gordon Hoffman April 3rd, 2012 11:26 PM

Hi Geir Inge
I like what you have come up with. I like how you used your unsettled weather in your story telling. You've got some nice shots there and considering your schedule I say well done.

Gordon

Lorinda Norton April 4th, 2012 12:28 AM

Oh my...Geir Inge, you are quite the storyteller! You had me at "I had a dream." I started smiling at that point and the smile just kept getting bigger and bigger.

You have found a secret to great storytelling/filmmaking--the WRITING. Chris Hurd used to drill it into our heads back in the early days of DV Info: Content is King. That means the writing and delivery as well as the images.

Loved the variety of voices you created, loved the word play--such as the "fight between spring and winter." Loved the nod to the UWOL Challenge itself when the otter moves from under water to over land. Loved the fact that such great wisdom would come from such tiny creatures in a tide pool.

Now, as much as I love this film (as if you couldn't tell) I have a request. When your schooling is completed and you have more time, will you consider revisiting this and drawing out the music a bit longer at the end? I would really love that, too. :)

Owen Dawe April 5th, 2012 04:22 AM

I enjoyed this video very much. It has a certain broodiness about it. It's how I picture your part of the world with folk like creatures that inhabit the land. Is this not the land of trolls.

If I was going to get really picky I think the seal should have submerged with the dialog 'away it went into the deep blue ocean'.

The poem to me had a melancholy feel about it that you captured in a brilliant way with scenery and story telling. A real little gem.

Geir Inge April 5th, 2012 02:16 PM

Ruth, thank you for kind words that I really appreciate. The journey from winter to spring crossed my mind when I found omyself on the top of the snowy mountain. Looking down at the fjord at the snowless shore, I thought to myself; down there by the sea is the spring :)

Mike, thank you very much. After 4 years of studies I'm ready to do something else :) 14th June I'll finish my exam. The behaviour of the amphipods? Well it's springtime and love is in the air - or in the water so to speak. I filmed in several tideponds as my original idea was "little life in tide pond". To heavy weather and to little time ruined my plan. So I did a plan B and came up with a story similar to a fable or an old norwegian fairy tale and this lovely poem "Little things" by Julia Abigail Fletcher Carney.

Gordon, thank you for kind words. The bad weather is filmed from within my car. During this period we had several storms and hurricanes. It went from snow, rain, wind and back again several times. That's life ;)

Lorinda, thank you ery much for kind words. When it comes to uwol I sometimes wish I could do the voice over in norwegian. First I have to write the text in my language, then translate it to english. It's not an easy task. And I feel the same way when I'm giving feedback to others. I'm not always sure if put the words together in a propper way. I guess I have to live with that :) I hear you when it comes to the music, thank you for good advice.

Owen, thank you for kind words and feedback. I'm honored by receiving such nice words. I hear you about the diving seal. I'm not sure what "broodiness" means, but it feels good to read it so I guess it is something nice :)

Now I'm way into my books again.

Bill Thesken April 6th, 2012 02:03 AM

Geir, this is a great work of art, obviously you live in a part of the world that can inspire this type of lofty transcendentalism. I've been slow to comment on the films I've seen, and I didn't plan it this way, but it's fitting for me that I'm commenting on your film last on my list, since it is the little things that make a world and a life, and I see that in your movie. I've watched it twice, and I'll pass it on to some friends and family since it is important to remember the little things.
Now, how did you get the high pitched voice - Helium?.....

Geir Inge April 7th, 2012 02:52 AM

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your kind words.

I am humbled by receiving good reviews and good advice.
You are an accomplished filmmaker, I respect you highly.
I mean Uwol is at its most exciting, with contributions from various parts of the globe.
This time, we even have a contribution from New Zealand, it's great.
I wish more and more people got their eyes opened to our forum.
I turn to large rooms and say we are contributors to a better world :)

Geir Inge

Markus Nord April 9th, 2012 01:34 PM

Geir inge, you got some nice seal and utter shots there... nice!
I wish my rock pools had that much life in them... the one I got here is just filled with algae.
I would like to come visit you some time and shoot some video together.

Cheers
Markus

Trond Saetre April 12th, 2012 06:12 AM

Hei Geir Inge,

I see both of us were challenged by the rough weather.
What do you use to protect your gear in these conditions? I notice you mention you filmed some from inside your car. I have always been "better safe than sorry", and doesn't completely trust my camera's rain cover when it's heavy rain.

Yet again you produce quality work! I like the variation of wide and close up shots. And as have been commented by others, your way of telling the story is great.
Did you speed up parts of the narration in post?

I found that your sound levels are a bit low compared to the other uwol entries.

(Takk for invitasjonen til vimeo gruppen. Jeg skal gjøre mitt beste for å bidra)

Geir Inge April 13th, 2012 02:07 AM

Markus, thank you for your feedback. When I finish my exam in june I'll have way much time for filming. It would have been nice filming with you and learn from your skills.

Trond, thank you for nice feedback. I guess we have almost the same weather along the west coast. As you probably can see I'm filming from within my car, and the wind and rain is blowing the same direction I'm shoting. Outside the car I use my ewa-marine underwater housing for my Canon HV 30 camera. You can see it as I'm searching the pond :) Nice of you to join the Scandinavian group on Vimeo. As for my voice, that's how I normaly sound, haha. Well, I'm just doing a change of pitch in post.

Trond Saetre April 13th, 2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1726833)
Well, I'm just doing a change of pitch in post.

A funny effect, and a cool idea for some future projects. :)