DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 22: "Mission (Im)Possible" by Trond Saetre (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/506558-uwol-22-mission-im-possible-trond-saetre.html)

Trond Saetre April 1st, 2012 11:30 AM

UWOL 22: "Mission (Im)Possible" by Trond Saetre

As the title says, this challenge almost turned out to be impossible.
Snow storms, heavy rain, and more storms did its best to make it a real challenge.

So the idea pretty much came by itself: Could I find the spring during the two short days I had without wet weather?

Mission (Im)possible on Vimeo

Ruth Happel April 2nd, 2012 07:23 PM

Re: UWOL 22: "Mission (Im)Possible" by Trond Saetre

You are officially a wildlife action hero! It looks like it took heroic efforts to find spring on your side of the world. I am glad you succeeded. Your video has a very vivid look, with a lot of depth of field. It made me feel like I was right there with you. Thanks for allowing us to join in on your explorations.

Ruth

Geir Inge April 3rd, 2012 07:20 AM

Hello Trond.

You take us on a walk through the woods, Trond.
Is it in the Bergen area? Nice place anyway.
I like the way you turn up the pace, as you walk towards the camera. It's in the beginning of the film.
We've had a lot of bad weather on the west coast this year, and it is reflected in the colors of nature.
I feel the same way about the weather, but there is not much we can do with it :)
You hunt for the small signs of spring and eventually you find them.
I think it's a it's a fine story to build aroun the little things.
Hope you do not mind that I give an advice about voice over?
Maybe some more variety and nuance in voice over would do?
Just to create more atmosphere and suspense.

All in all a fine video.

All the best.
Geir Inge

Trond Saetre April 3rd, 2012 10:51 AM

Ruth,
Thank you! Its good to have you back, and your comments are always most welcome.

Geir Inge,
Yes, this is in Bergen. I used to do a lot of jogging in this area earlier, so I pretty much know every trail there.
Good advice about the voice over. I will keep it in my mind next time.

Mike Sims April 3rd, 2012 09:30 PM

Hello Trond. I’m glad you weathered the storm and your mission became possible. You have some very pretty compositions here. The only one I might suggest a change in is the clip with the ducks. Perhaps putting the water line at one third frame instead of one half frame might have been a stronger composition. This is a matter of taste so others may disagree. I really liked the rack focus- and then you followed with another! The second one was a real surprise. I think the voice-over is fine. It gives a feeling of a relaxed walk in the woods. I hope you will have an easier time next time, but for this round- mission accomplished!

Lorinda Norton April 3rd, 2012 11:46 PM

Beautiful camera work, Trond! That's what came to my mind scene after scene. The payoff for me wasn't the end with the flies (that actually made me laugh a bit) but when your narration matched so well with the pan at 1:03. I love it when the camera follows the suggestion in perfect timing, just as we would do with our eyes.

The portion of the walk that you sped up created some concern for me, but then I decided it was fine. What was more troublesome was the hard cut that made you disappear. I think if you decide the segment is too long to let you walk out of the frame, perhaps a crossfade/dissolve to the next scene? You normally do walk out of the frame if I remember correctly, so the cut surprised me.

You know what I appreciate about this film, besides the beautiful camera work, is the fact that you worked with what little nature gave you and made such an enjoyable and peaceful piece that stands on its own so very well. It's a lovely story. Thank you, Trond.

Gordon Hoffman April 3rd, 2012 11:52 PM

Hi Trond
I know what it can be like when the weather doesn't want to co operate and it looks like you made good use of the times it did. The first thing that struck me was as Ruth says a vivid look that I really like. If I had a bucket list I know Norway would be on it. Thanks for a nice walk in the woods.

Gordon

Trond Saetre April 4th, 2012 01:20 AM

Mike:
You sure noticed my rookie mistake with the duck shots :)

Lorinda:
Point taken about the rough cut. Should have done it as I use to and per your suggestion.
Glad you enjoyed the film.

Gordon,
Thank you for the feedback. The vivid colors are straight out of the camera. I am also a fan of rich colors, so I'm very happy with the camera. Usually I don't need any corrections in post.

I will view and give feedback to everyone's films when I get access to a better than this "pre-historic slow" network.

Dale Guthormsen April 4th, 2012 09:41 AM

Tronde,

Weather was a bear this time for quite a few of us!! You managed to pull it off though and as always have some fantastic images.

The rack focus from the de drop to the deep woods was fabulous; however, I believe it would have been even more dramatic if you reversed the clip, showed the running water then the deep woods, then the rack would focus into to the dew drops on the branch. As I recall you use Vegas, so just reverse the clip and tell me if i am out to lunch or not on that. would be curious to know!!

Very nice job as always, it was truly a pleasure to watch!!

Trond Saetre April 4th, 2012 12:41 PM

Dale,
Your feedback is always welcome!
I will reverse the rack focus sequence and show you the result next week.
(I'm using Premiere Pro.)

Owen Dawe April 5th, 2012 03:52 AM

Once more I've been transformed into another world. Yes I loved the photography, the colours and the composition of the shots. You captured well the shapes and colours of your landscape features.

Re the opening sequence. Unless you had another camera operator I guess you must have set the shot up, set the camera in motion, walk away, then walk back. It's something I've never tried.

Thank you.

Bill Thesken April 6th, 2012 01:09 AM

Trond, I really like some of the close up shots of the tree branches, and the one rack focus shot (1:45) where you are close on a branch then focus out to see the whole forest, as the old saying 'you can't see the forest for the trees'.. The very first shot where the pond is very blue at the bottom right contrasting the browns and greens is really good. A nice journey through the countryside.

Trond Saetre April 6th, 2012 02:00 AM

Owen,
Thank you for the comments. The opening scene was shot as you described it. There were no other people nearby, so I was able to leave the camera alone for a couple minutes.

Bill,
I'm glad you enjoyed. Thank you for the feedback.