Tales of the Wonders and Woes - UWOL 23 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Tales of the Wonders and Woes - UWOL 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
This round I filmed with 3 cameras; my trusty Canon XLH1 with a Nanoflash, a Canon T3i DSLR, and a GoPro Hero.
Iエm almost on the same setup, even if the XLH1 is the least used for me! Maybe because I donエt have any external recorder, still using tape with the H1.
How are you dealing with different frame rates, or are you doing everything i 30p?

I found that I record most of the time in 30p this days. As the Canon 7D can be switched between PAL and NTSC. Even if we are in PAL setup here in Europe, recording 30p is the most convenient for me. If I need 25p itエs quite easy to downconvert from 30p using Cinema tools on my Mac.
In fact I found quality being better (less stuttering) when uploading 30p to Youtube or Vimeo than 25p.

Iエve been using some new gear this round. My newest gear is the Stage Zero time lapse rail system from Stage Zero
This is an incredible peace of equipment, with a unlimited ways of doing creative shooting effects!

Started the edit process and found that I still miss some shots to get the story I want. So next weekend I have to urge out to get the last sequences.
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #32
Major Player

Well I just set everything to 25p (I'm not sure that the XLH1 can do 30p, but I have never tried). The T3i does every frame rate, as does the GoPro, but as I live in a PAL country I decided to stick to 25p (I still live in hope that something I film will one day be good enough for broadcast I guess). The Nanoflash makes the XL tapeless, and this function really breathes new life into that camera. I still record tape as backup for running and gunning, but for controlled shoots I just record directly to the nanoflash without tape.

There is definitely video stutter when viewed on youtube or vimeo, but not on the original footage (or the H.264 HD master that I make). 30p gets around this when seen after vimeo/youtube compression?

One thing that I disliked about the DSLR film set up is having to record dual audio to an audio recorder. However, the synchronization effect in FCPX worked 100% every time, so this is now a one click fix. I find that a loud clap at the beginning of each interview section provides all the info needed for the program to work it out. Its a really amazing 'automated' feature, that takes all the work out of the edit (and saves massive amounts of time in the process).

The more I use FCPX the more I love it; and the automated time saving features are the main reason for this. Luckily all the features can still be worked manually (like in FCP7), but why bother when it works? I find that I can spend more time on the creative aspect of editing, while the computer takes care of the time consuming drudgery. Win win!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #33
Major Player

Well, my schedule just got complicated again. I joked about doing three or four videos this round, but in fact, I will have completed five by the deadline. During the contest time I致e made one event BR and two training DVDs. Now I need to do a web short plus UWOL! It means I won稚 be able to re-shoot the shots where wind blew out the audio so I知 just dubbing them as best I can. Not great, but the best I can do at the moment. At least I知 sure I値l have something to show.

Per Johan- I知 excited to hear that you got the DP Stage Zero. I知 sure you will do some really awesome work with it. The Stage Zero started as a discussion over on the Timescapes Timelapse Forum and several people (including myself) made DIY versions of the original design that was later refined into the commercial product. I later added the MX2 controller so my timelapse slider is very similar to yours. There are two things I recommend you think about upgrading. First, the Merlin pan/ tilt head (which the MX2 can also control- info at the DP website) when mounted on the Stage Zero adds a lot of functionality. If you think you might want one, better get it now. It is no longer being made and demand for them is huge because it is also used by the Megapano people. There are none left in North America but a few are still available in Europe. (Try Pulsar Optical) Second, you might like to replace the 8.75RPM Dayton gear motor with a 25RPM version in order to do regular video moves as well as timelapse. It痴 a simple swap and then re-calibrate in the MX2. There is information about this over at Timescapes. The Dayton motors can be difficult to source in Europe, but Servo City will ship there. I think you池e going to love using the Stage Zero.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
There is definitely video stutter when viewed on youtube or vimeo, but not on the original footage (or the H.264 HD master that I make). 30p gets around this when seen after vimeo/youtube compression?
My test, without any scientific evidence, show that uploading in 30p makes video smother both at Youtube and Vimeo. I am also selling stock video, and I think the marked is greater in 30p world than 25p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Per Johan- I知 excited to hear that you got the DP Stage Zero. I知 sure you will do some really awesome work with it.
Thanks a lot for those links, Mike. I got this rail system for only 1 week ago, so I have only fiddled a bit with some basic things. But I feel that the this gear has a great potential for me!
I intent to use it for scenic footage but I also looking forward to try some milky way and Aurora Borealis footage later this year when nights are getting darker.
I bought the bundle kit, with everything you need to start. Iエm planning to hike up in the highlands of Norway, where you canエt use a car, so I have to find a way to put this gear (the 6 foot rail) attached to a backpack for easily transport to those far away places!
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Major Player

I put the rail and two tripods in a bag for skis and then strap it to my packboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of the Wonders and Woes - UWOL 23-packboard.jpg  
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #36
Trustee

Sorry, this round, I can not participate.
Wish you all good luck.
Geir Inge
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #37
Major Player

Me too. I was really looking forward to this challenge but, for the second time in succession, a load of work came in a couple of days after I signed up! Our planned break was also put on hold - so I知 out.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #38
Major Player

Just under 1 week to go.

Over 20 sign-ups. 2 Down. Is everyone else still onboard? I hope so; lets make it a big one.

Against the slow internet odds I managed to upload my entry to the UWOL Vimeo site (password locked so is not visible). So I guess the wonders outweighed the woes.

I also managed to upload it to my own Vimeo site. This one was password locked too; yet in the stats chart I can see its been viewed in the USA, UK, Germany & Greece - weird!
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #39
Major Player

I'm done. Will upload within the next couple of days.
Mine won't fit in any of the normal boxes, it's a little bit of
an abstract piece designed to visually pull the viewer in, and leaving
them wondering what the heck happened. My test audience says it's a
'sick' movie.
For the older generation, 'sick' is the new 'cool'. Go figure.
Due on July 5 right?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:22 AM   #40
Major Player

Yes I'm still on board. Shot it all this afternoon. Hope to edit it tonight. It's a bit of a rush. As a sideline my tripod collapsed, and I couldn't find the allen key to hold it straight. The show must go on so they say.
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:03 AM   #41
Major Player

I've had that happen before; was it a Manfrotto tripod by any chance?
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:17 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi Simon. Yes it is. It can be a pain in the butt at times. There is a small place to carry the allen key on one of the legs. It's never there when I need it. I also committed No. 1 rule and had no gaffa tape.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM   #43
Major Player

Its a crazy design that. My tripod actually has a little clip that the allan key slots into, and I check those religiously these days. See this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...-concrete.html
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:04 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I am done, such as it is. Anyone gotten the upload information yet ? Haven't use the new Vimeo set up yet.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:24 AM   #45
Trustee

Still not done, but I think I have enough footage to edit a sequence. Will try to make this film with ambient audio only, no narrating, the footage tells the story.
Good luck to everyone!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge