UWOL 23: Delta Winds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 23: Delta Winds

Was expecting a big time entry for UWOL 23, as I am just getting back into producing films.

This was shot mainly with my new VG20, and the Standard lens. A few of the shots were done with the only FX1. I was experimenting to see how well the VG20 and FX1 shot together. Camera shake was a major issue for the VG20, with its CMOS sensor and rolling shutter issues. Sand bag would have been in order. However, I think VG20 image is usually more detailed and sharper than the FX1.

This film was shot in Delta area of California where wind power is being used increasingly.

UWOL 23
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 23: Delta Winds

Awesome Chris, the shots at .30 & .45 are really cool. It's funny, when I saw the sailboat go by I was thinking "I wonder if you can windsurf there?" and on cue from the side comes the windsurfer. The link is clear, we can harness the forces of nature for fun and energy. But it's also nice to just stop and watch the wind brushing the plants and the waters, pure nature in action.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Chris,

I enjoyed the way you tied together the various uses of wind in a seamless way. The pervasive sound of wind in the audio really helped mesh the clips together. And Cinescore is great- I still enjoy using that music, though it is a product long retired. The music really brought something extra to the film.

The footage looked really good, if you hadn't said you were using two different cameras I wouldn't have noticed. They match very well. Overall a very enjoyable film to watch.

Ruth
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Nice film Chris!

As Ruth says it´s not noticeable that you used two different camcorders in this setup. Colors are a tad too saturated to my taste, but maybe this was intended?

Editing phase very good and a pleasure to watch.
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Nice film Chris! Wind is an invisible force, but you captured it nicely with the waving grass and plants, the boats, kites, and the windmills.

I reckon your shot at .54 seconds kind of summed up the story in a neat little metaphor (the yacht pulling a motor boat)! That pretty much captured the power of the delta winds!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

Nice, crisp colors in your footage!
I like how you put together the various use of the wind.
Favorite was the sailboat followed by the wind surfer.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Chris
Well wind is something I can relate to. I like the shot of the windsurfer and sailboat also. Nice piece.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Chris. What a great idea. Instead of fighting the wind (like some of us) you embraced it. Lovely! I’m impressed by how rock solid some of those shots were in what seems to be almost gale force. The audio really sets the mood. How were you able to record those high frequency wind sounds without over pressuring the microphone?
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes Chris,

I agree with the other commentators to say I never would have guessed you had shot with two different cameras. I as well was impressed with the way you shot the force of wind. We usually see clouds, leaves and trees to show the wind. I like the way you demonstrated it with sails. Fabric conventional sails, then rotating sails that concluded with the power pylons to indicate what the rotating blades were there for.

Once again a picture can speak a thousand words. No doubt we all formed our own commentary to your film.

Thank you for making it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge